Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Has anyone posted the raw camera files of a 200 Mbps (All-Intra) 1080p video? I downloaded the 4K footage and my computer can barely handle that. Wanted to see if I could even work with the 1080p stuff!

• @anti12 - better encode

• @Tomaso - that's on the vimeo compressed version. Weird single field encode or something

• @Tomaso, the video is not mine. Cheers!

• @mrbill Is that on the Vimeo compressed version or on the original file. I can't se that the original is available for download.

• @fancydancer Did you already get a GH4 in Germany? My dealer (Scandinavian Photo) here in Sweden said maybe end next week or more probably may 5 or 6.

• That's aliasing like mad. Apart from that, very nice

• The big temptation to "jump in" on a new project for me would be the Cine-D or 4k, especially for those things where you could either use a cropped final output through Warp Stabilization or utilize transcoding to 1080p just to get 4:2:2 to grade.

But even then it would be wise to do at least a little post-processing to check out how the input leads to output. With the camera in hand would I be wise or ... risk-taking? Hard to say as I don't have one yet ... but even with 35 years of being "sensible" ... hmmm ... ;-)

Probably just as well I'm not being tempted now, though if I were headed out for a major shoot knowing I'd be getting one right AFTER I finished shooting, I'd be frustrated.

• @natureflixs

If you use the same settings that you used on the GH3 then the GH4 is nearly identical. 1080p @ 24 FPS IBP is virtually the same on both cameras especially in MF mode. If your GH3 broke and you bought a new one you would be able to get it ready in time. You could do the same with the GH4.

Utilizing the new GH4 features might be risky though.

• @karl - Jessops in the UK say shipping from the 5th of May.

Btw, it's anybody's right to be cautious about too short a learning curve with new kit. No need to dig them up about it.

• "So you would not dare to use a GH4 even if you had also a GH2 with you to fall back to, in case the GH4 fails for some reason?

Given how many people have been fine even with using known-to-be-unstable patch settings (not me), that seems very very conservative... :-)"

Yes, I realize that I am conservative, but I have never owned this type camera as I come from using traditional video cameras. I think a person on a paying job should have thorough knowledge of their equipment before hand.

• @natureflixs: So you would not dare to use a GH4 even if you had also a GH2 with you to fall back to, in case the GH4 fails for some reason?

Given how many people have been fine even with using known-to-be-unstable patch settings (not me), that seems very very conservative... :-)

BTW: I just noticed rumor on the GH4 shipping in the EU from May 5th. I'm not sure I should believe this, as usually dealers are quite keen to enter their offerings along with optimistic delivery dates as early as possible, but in the case of the GH4, I don't see any online dealer claiming a specific delivery date as of today.

• I read here that several people were disappointed not to get one before a significant trip. All that I can add is if the trip is for work rather than pleasure I would have to test the GH4 with its new features for several weeks before I would have the confidence to use it on a paying job.

• @Tomaso: "Any parts of Europe having the GH4 yet?" - Unluckily, no. I would have liked to be able to buy one before my 3-week-trip to Indonesia, but now it's getting unlikely to be possible.

On the plus side, this means that I don't have to pay a premium for buying early, but can check for reasonable prices after I return.

• I wasn't trying to start a debate about samy's, I just had a bad experience, that is all. As far as the last minute argument goes, the camera was ordered from their website. Their website and representatives told me a specific date and said it would arrive. If it wasn't possible they shouldn't have said so, last minute or not. The only reason I bought from them was because I am leaving the country wednesday to shoot BTS for a feature film for the next couple of months. I was happy with my pre-order at BH w/ a later date, but the notion of getting this camera in time for the BTS seemed like the perfect opportunity to test out the camera. So I was little upset with the customer service, that is all. However this is my last response on the Samy's subject, cuz it seems like a waste of time.

This camera is looking amazing, I can't wait to start fooling around with it! The Cinema-D is looking beautiful, and actually looks like it has pretty good dynamic range for a Micro4/3 DSLM. I am curious to see how well the 4:2:0 takes to color grading, I wasn't that excited by some examples I have seen thus far, has anyone else played around in Davinci or Scratch with their footage yet?

• Any parts of Europe having the GH4 yet?

• I've bought the 128gb transcend class 3. If anybody has this and a GH4 already, would love to know if the card works, especially at the 200Mbp/s bit rate. Thanks in advance

• Always had good experiences with samy's myself.