Personal View site logo
Sony a6000 topic
  • 318 Replies sorted by

The new 24.3 megapixel sensor also ensures that image quality is also excellent, with results easily rivalling even the DSLR competition and beating most of its compact system camera rivals. Noise doesn't rear its ugly head until ISO 3200 for JPEGs and even the faster settings prove eminently usable, although the A6000 does apply some pretty aggressive noise reduction to keep the files clean as shown by the much noisier RAW images. The myriad of creative effects such as HDR, Dynamic Range Optimisation, creative styles, picture effects and the innovative sweep panorama mode help to get the most out of the A6000.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_a6000_review/

monitor25.jpg
    800 x 684 - 144K
  • Wow (Eller wow som vi säger) it's really effective :-)

• Yes..(handhållen som vi säger) stabilized with Prodad Mercalli recorded in 50p

• @woolhats Nice colors! Handheld?

• I tested the A6000 with 18-55mm vivid -3-0-0

• Test clip from another site run through 5DtoRGB, showing highlight recovery.

A6000 Original vs 5DtoRGB 601.jpg
    1920 x 2160 - 2M
  • @apefos & woolhats I can do some examples from my vg20 (nex 6 is boxed up for sale) when I have time. Moire is still there but aliasing is different. What was also strange my CX760 had aliasing in 25p but minimal in 50p so was the other way round. Back to a6000...could be the first Sony mirrorless with minimal moire & aliasing. Will let you know when I get one.

• @xenogears Sorry, I think I did not express myself correctly. I am not worried about audio. I record on double system. I worry about image quality. I have never managed to get the 5N to reproduce colours the way I like (I have tested so many configurations, it feels silly) and more importantly, I have never managed to get the darker parts of the image to look the way I want. Hence my wish for an external recorder.

Regarding the lack of improvement, I guess it depends on the quality of the stuff going into the HDMI. This post

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?301292-Clipwrap-VS-5dRGB-VS-BMD-shuttle

made me think that if the stuff coming from the HDMI is ok, you can definitely overcome some camera weaknesess.

• Exactly! the 5n never had a clean HDMI output, but the a7 has and the same history goes, as the VG20/30 not much improvement with the Ninja, not to justify the cost i think. For this reason to me is more important how the get proper audio recording on the a6000 than to record video externally. Sony is in development of the new version of their XLR adapter without the cable just plug on the Hotshoe, hope this work on the a6000 too, but for this work correctly the a6000 must have manual audio adjustments, waiting for someone answer me that.

• @Mimirsan Yes I would also like to see image examples of that! More (aliasing and moire) in 50 (60)p I never seen difference between 25 and 50p on my Nex5n..but with the Nex6 aliasing is allover both 25p and 50p

• @Mimirsan Please can you elaborate better your findings about moire/aliasing differences in 24p and 60p in the NEX cameras? Is there image examples on the web which shows this? Thanks.

• Yeah, 5N never had clean HDMI out. My main interest in using an external recorder is avoiding what seems to me like a pretty extreme shift in brightness that I think (from the little I understand about the way the codec works) is caused by how H264 works (dedicating more data to store values with higher luminance over those with lower luminance).

• As far as im aware the 5N never had clean hdmi out? I own a VG20 and the image has a very small improvement with a Ninja. The benefits are better codec and a small increase in detail..thats it. Not sure if the A6000 will have clean HDMI. Will confirm when getting mine. 50p modes on Nex cameras always seem to exhibit more aliasing & moire than the 24/25p modes. Apparently virtually aliasing and moire free is what ive heard of the a6000 in 25p. I should have one in a month or so (sooner if my Nex 6 sells)...I expect rolling shutter to be much like previous nex cameras. Rolling shutter is never a problem unless you have a telezoom,swinging about..no more different than any other cmos cam. Speedboosters are great on the Nex btw.

• i've been curious about this camera paired with a speedbooster and a ninaja star recorder. i would imagine clean hdmi out to prores would be better than avchd transcoded to prores. Isn't this always the case?

• I don't think hat can we see a mayor improvement on the image quality on a recording from the a6000 to the Ninja, but i just my guess.

• I am curious about the HDMI output in this thing. This may sound weird, but I like my images quite underexposed without crushing the blacks. With my 5N I find that things look beautiful on the screen, but the videos are always way lighter than I want them to. I suspect it has something to do with the way H264 works, all that story about saving bits for higher luminace because humans perceive less detail in the dark and all that jazz (that I obviously don't understand). So light, in fact, that I cannot get the look I want in post. Maybe ProRes would help with that. Basically, I want someone to test the a6000 in low light with an external recorder.

• I have make some video works with a Nex 5n and i really love it for what it was, for this i have some question for owners of the a6000:

1.- Is possible make audio levels adjustments? Because Sony will launch a new revised version of the XLR-K1M it will still use the hotshoe but it will lacks of the additional cable that the K1M has, so is a lot simpler equipment, if this devices will operate on the a6000 could make this camera a great documentary camera, sad Sony still has the 29min limits, Kudos for Panasonic is just the only one that has no such limitation. If something like an a7000 comes (really hope it happens and soon) it must have all the video goodies from the a7s, full sensor readout, audio and earphone jacks, plus no time limit on recording.

2.-How is the Rolling shutter on the a6000? I ask this, because It looks like the rolling shutter on the a7s could became a problem, so if this is happen; for me reduce greatly the possibility of use this camera on handheld situations and i don't think that a shoulder mount can eliminate this, someones says if becasue of the size of the sensor, but also on the Handycam Sony AX100 has show severe rolling shutter in a much smaller sensor.

Both scenarios can be covered by the GH4 less the sensor but with 4k recording and higher price.

• Well... I downloaded the A6000 mts videos from Cameralabs review and the iso tests. Comparing to Nikon, to previous Sony NEX models and to Panasonic M43 cameras my conclusions are:

The A6000 does not show aliasing which is pretty good. There is very small moire, not disturbing enough, possible to live with (I saw it in the beach shoot). The noise in high iso does not show chroma noise which is great. The noise in high iso is very fine and charming compared to previous NEX and to Panasonic. The iso up to 1600 does not need denoise. The iso 3200 is clean after denoise. The iso 6400 is clean after denoise with small trembling in shadows, not disturbing. The iso 12800 is not usable. The resolution is a little gross compared to Panasonic, Panasonic is more cinematic, razor sharp. If you want that razor sharp look which is desired to compete in tv broadcast and cinema theaters Panasonic M43 is the way to go, but the low light performance and E-mount with focal reducers allowing 1.16 crop factor is amazing on A6000. The gross in A6000 resolution is more perceived in wide shots showing buildings, in low light it is not annoying, but still much better resolution than Canon APS cameras. The resolution is on par with D5300 and I think A6000 is better because does not show halos in contrast edges. Low light is better than D5300. The highlights are recorded above 100 IRE and can be recovered in post production and this is amazing. There are textures and tonal range hidden in the cliped highligts, something like 1 fstop of dynamic range can be recovered in post, something like HTP in Canon cameras. The 5 levels of DRO to lift shadows combined with recovered highlights can deliver a great dynamic range. With a RJ lens turbo to increase light by 1 fstop and reduce crop factor this camera will be a new low budget Queen for low light and for use all kind of lenses. The 1.16 crop factor with the lens turbo just avoids the soft and dark corners from the full frame lenses. If you can record audio outside camera the A6000 is great for indie cinema. Also there is the option to buy the expensive bluetooth mic. I hope Sony give us mic input in A7000 and maybe S-Log2 in the A7000 also. The auto focus is accurate and smooth and does not show hunting, this is great. I like the A6000 a lot! I have the dream of Sony give us S-Log2 in the A7000 to increase dynamic range 1300% That's it.