Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @mpgxsvcd Not sure what program you are using but try disabling OpenGL in your NLE. What you are experiencing is exactly what I was going thru on my desktop, Turned off that function and it worked ever since. Graphics card is the issue for me. Need to get a more powerful one.

• @PVI - I think its just 1080p out, not 1080i. You'd have to check the specs..

• @Ian_T

Thanks for the tip. That was exactly it. I turned off the hardware processing and it stopped throwing the error even when I piled on the transforms, stabilization, and sharpening. I have a super powerful NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M video card but it is really overkill.

The quad core computer processor is enough on its own to handle the 4K footage now. For $1399 the laptop was a steal.

• @mpgxsvcd I'm glad that helped. It seems the Open GL function is like a doubled edged sword. It's great for some things but "so far" for 4K editing it's a real challenge.

• any info yet if old SD cards like Sandisc 95 MBps will do? also I ask myself why I can't import that original mov file from driftwood to either Vegas or Premiere CC I have no problems with the other samples provided here (Porsche, etc.)

• @olli66 - go back a few pages to driftwoods post - he talks about shooting 4k on older cards there

• @mrbill I know, but he still wanted to do a long run with highest bitrate settings and report...

• I couldn't import that original mov file into Movie Studio Platinum until I installed Quicktime, then it worked great.

• I have quicktime installed...but an older version...some of the new versions always gave me a black screen on some mov files in Vegas so I didn't install newer versions...never change a winning team! but when those new files now don't work I have to update I guess...hope my old files will still play then (some even were upside down depending on the quicktime version)

• Sandisk 95MB/s cards will record till you stop the recording (e.g. 30 mins)

Here's some more screen grabs from forthcoming 'GH4 People Test'. Ungraded CineLikeD of course.

CinelikeD C4K Screen Shot 39 taken from 'GH4 People Test'.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 1M
    CinelikeD C4K Screen Shot 38 taken from 'GH4 People Test'.jpg
    2304 x 1296 - 1M
    CinelikeD C4K Screen Shot 17 taken from 'GH4 People Test'.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
  • thanks for the info driftwood I pre-ordered the US model, I need it for continuos shooting (concerts) for as long as the battery and space on the SD card lasts so I will order myself 2-3 Sandisk 95 MB/s cards now... how many people will buy the new expensive SD cards? great marketing move for filling the pockets even more

• I'm thinking, CineLikeD looks great for situations when you want to preserve maximum latitude, in other words hard contrast shots. For overcast days I'm guessing that it will pay off to have a lot more punch in colors and contrast. Depending on the look you want and how clean you want the end result, of course. :)

• @olli66, where did you pre-order us model? thanks

• @RRRR

Don't think you have worry much about low saturation/contrast in cine-d. This is a driftwood shot with nothing but a mild s-curve applied:

fe722d710c62262ff0fac40487ee05.jpg
    2304 x 1296 - 286K
  • Agreed about cine-D! On @driftwood's "Man in the Hat" footage in PP CS6, just throwing on a fast color corrector, bringing the blacks and whites in a touch on the slider, and then adding about 28% saturation made the footage look phenomenal to me. Talk about an easy grade!

BTW, regarding playing the 4K footage, initially I was only able to play it on my personal computer within PP CS6 because my VLC Player didn't like it. I have to test more with a recent release, but I noticed that on my wife's computer and my daughter's computer that I built recently, it played perfectly and I had VLC Ver. 2.0.8 on them. One of them is an i5 2500K with NO VIDEO CARD. The other is an AMD 6350(?) 6 core with a Radeon HD 5570 video card. Perfect play on both. After uninstalling VLC on my computer and reinstalling 2.0.8, it plays perfectly as well. All of these computers are running Win7 Ultimate.

Just for fun I put the latest Quicktime on my computer for a minute, and it played the footage fine too. Mine should play it fine though, it is an i7-3770K with 16gigs of fast RAM, and GTX760.

My slowish i5 laptop was having trouble with playing it in VLC, and that has a recent release version of VLC on it. I'll swap 2.0.8 back onto that soon and see if it does better with it.

• @EliasD at Adorama, Amazon does not ship to Germany and I don't remember what it was but there was something that kept me from ordering at bhphotovideo

• @jrd: it does bring out macro-blocks in monochromes, like discussed a few pages earlier. Obviously, if you want a desaturated look it's not a bad start.

• @RRRR

Based on very limited testing with posted footage, I'd be more worried about how the codec handles high contrast/saturation. Others seem to find the footage highly gradeable, but I'm getting unpleasant results when attempting a heavier grade. It goes plastic -- dreaded word! -- very quickly.

• So in overcast low contrast situations shooting in cine-d is applying a s-curve the only way to go or is there some other camera setting to use.

• @jrd

Obviously there will be plenty of more water under the bridge before it's possible to say anything conclusive, however, I really liked the look of cine-d from the video on the previous page (or was it 63?) in harsh lighting. Such scenarious have usually tended to turn out chunky on the forerunners in the gh series. Now your typical beach shots looks far more pleasant in highlight rolloff.

Should be some interesting encoder tests when the final product is available.

@natureflixs

Keep in mind there is some heavy speculation going. These things will be thoroughly tested once the camera is out on the market, for sure.

• Based on the footage I've graded thus far it seems the internal codec could surely benefit from a boost up to the 200Mbps range. That would give it 50Mbps per HD quadrant just like the GH3, which never seems to exhibit any macro breakup issues with heavier grading. Panasonic said they couldn't get more than 100Mbps in 4K due to throughput but I'm not completely certain that is true with the "other" 200Mbps codec existing in the camera for HD.

• Panasonic said they couldn't get more than 100Mbps in 4K due to throughput but I'm not completely certain that is true with the "other" 200Mbps codec existing in the camera for HD.

It means that it is good idea to read something about codecs :-)

4K 200mbps is not equal to FHD 200mbps. 4K codec has many areas with big overhead compared to FHD, so it become very hard add to this high bitrate.

• OK, I was looking at it as simple write throughput but should be looking at it as total encoder processing throughput instead. So it's a math crunch issue rather than an offload pipeline issue?

• @natureflixs

Cine-D isn't actually log footage, but it should probably be treated in a similar way, at least until we learn better. What this usually entails, with actual log or log-like footage, is putting an appropriate s-curve or LUT on the last node of the grade, to normalize the gamma before you go to work refining the look, on earlier nodes -- this way, everything plays through that final normalization. Otherwise, there are likely to be errors in the way the light values get mapped, thanks to characteristics of LOG footage, which is optimized for capturing maximum range, not an accurate representation.

Or you can just adjust levels in an NLE-- pull the blacks down to zero and the highs up to 100 -- and hope for the best as you refine the grade and work with the mid-tones. This step alone would vastly improve the appearance of most of the BMD "film" footage which gets posted here, but it apparently isn't being done in most cases.

• First announced HDMI 4K recorder (can do 10 bit 4:2:2) -- Atomos Shogun:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10085/nab-atomos-shogun-4k-recorder#Item_9