Personal View site logo
VICE Media Gear
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for the post! I love the show and really enjoyed learning about the equipment they use in those crazy situations.

• Yeah, thanks for posting, a lot of good information in there.

I like Vice's news presentation. I do wonder about the practicality of shooting with shallow depth of field in news gathering contexts though... it's obviously a style that sets Vice's news coverage apart, but there's also a lot of sloppy focus hunting in their clips and I think it can work against the overall informative value of the piece at times, or simply means they miss certain things. Especially when you combine that with the compression to get stuff up online presumably from in the field, it can look pretty rough by the end. I think it's an aesthetic that was fresh a few years ago but is getting a little long in the tooth now.

• I agree. I was quite surprised when they pulled out the c300. I would get annoyed real quick trying to find focus on super35 in the middle of a violent riot. Focus would be the farthest thing on my mind. I thought they shot on varicams and used a 5d for the shots you spoke of.