Personal View site logo
Buying GH2 body with no lenses
  • Getting ready to buy a GH2 body only off of CL. How can I be certain that it's not a lemon? I do not have access to any lenses at the moment.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Borrow a lens from someone or go buy one. If you can't do that and are concerned about seller integrity, buy your GH2 from someone who's been active in the personal-view.com community. I'm sure a few guys are selling - you can search the site or even post a WTB for a GH2. I would recommend that over CL. Good luck.

• Based on our collective experience here on PV, with GH2 it's that it generally works or it does not. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to recollect all of the issues and hardware faults that people have had here over last few years with GH2. Not many!

What I wanted to say with this is that if it turns on than everything else most likely works fine.

Looking at this post, sometimes I feel that I fetishise this camera.

• Yes - if it's working I'm not sure what else could be wrong, but of course you ideally need to be able to put a card in it and test it out to make sure the sensor or card slot hasn't been damaged - either of which I guess you could test without a lens. If it were on ebay with a seller with good feedback I would be pretty happy to trust buying a used GH2. I don't know what CL is but assuming it's some sort of online sales thing, it should have a reliable feedback mechanism you can trust, so you have a come-back if something isn't right. I'm assuming it comes with an original battery otherwise that's another expense.

• Get cardboard and make very small hole. Must work for tests outside.

• CL is CraigsList, which can be fine, but can be a bit iffy at times.

• Ah, thanks Matt. Just had a look - amazing stuff on sale.

• I think it will still show a full (but black) display if turned on with just a lens cover. I've owned 3 gh2's and used the hell out of them. The only thing that ever broke was the SD card slot, it no longer clicks into place with an inserted SD card, however the little SD card door nonetheless holds the SD card in place and it works perfectly. Look at threads on the lens mount too. Look for obvious water damage/physical trauma to body.

• I'll sell you mine with a lens.