Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @aahbleza - it's a shame they never bothered to bring the alexa out of log, but watching this on YouTube, the resolution of the GH4 is gorgeous

• Seeing a trace of stair stepping on the Arri Alexa vid.

• Some originals clips founded on vimeo:

The first one is the most interesting to watch something more about dynamic range and gamma.

• @Mistas @duartix I've been wondering about stabilizing 4k as well. If you listen to the extra features on the last couple David Fincher movies (Dragon Tattoo, Social Network), the editors and vfx people talk about how Fincher will shoot a dolly shot or a pan to maximize the smoothness of it, but STILL stabilize it again in post. I've always wondered how that jibes with not having the obvious artifacts one gets from motion blur being cancelled out via stabilization. Shooting on cameras without a rolling shutter would help to some extent, but it still seems like you'd be able to see something there, yet I don't notice it at all in his films. Maybe because the post stabilize is only doing a minor correction and the camera is kept very stable during production.

• @chef Yep. Zebra is incremental in 5% steps - 70% no problems. Anything below 50% isn't really worth Zebra'ing. One can adjust the point at which the zebra pattern starts and stops from 50-105% in 5% steps.

GH4 uses Hi Profile Level 5.1 at 4096x2160 C4K

Very impressed with rolling shutter - best Ive seen from Pany Lumix G series. Jello appears minimal.

Approx 90 minutes of 4K recording at C4k 24p h264 mov @ 100Mbps on a 64Gb card. No problems recording on a SanDisk 64GB / 95MB/s SDXC 1 card @ 100Mbps REC modes.

Zero overheating issues.

Below: A few GH4 to 4K monitoring pics in action.

GH4zebra_at_70%.jpg
    1722 x 952 - 606K
    4k hdmi output with GH4 display = off.png
    1080 x 608 - 877K
    display = on gh4 thru the yagh to 4k monitoring.png
    1080 x 598 - 929K
    Full 4K gh4 4096 at 24Hz.png
    1080 x 622 - 885K
    mark baber of panasonic UK puts the gh4 thru its paces.png
    1080 x 614 - 999K
    gh4 focus peak check.png
    1080 x 622 - 1M
    driftwood at zoo panasonic.png
    1080 x 623 - 975K
    GH4 - approx 90 minutes of recording at c4k on a 64Gb card.png
    1080 x 626 - 676K
  • @Oedipax conceivably he could be adding moblur back after stabilization with something like RSMB. Doubt it, but maybe.....

• Is it safe to say that the GH4 will relegate the hacked GH2 to "B camera" status then?

• For those with $1699...it might be, but I still love the mojo of the GH2.

• Cine V Left v Cine D Right - -5,-5,-5,-5,-5

GH4_cineV_left_v_CineD_right.png
    1080 x 449 - 562K
  • @driftwood it would be great to have a couple of files as recorded on an SD card - one with greenscreen and one with a varying amount of handheld shaking to have a go at deshaking and see what the rolling shutter is like - if you get the chance, for those of us contemplating using this as a camera to shoot for eventual 1080.

• what are all the -5s ?

• @driftwood

pic with driftwood and the monkey: I'm confused.

Which one is Nick and which are the monkeys? All I see is three monkeys in each picture.

• @driftwood

Excellent cinemode comparison thank you.

The -5s are saturation, sharpness, contrast and other 2 settings which make it the flattest profile possible without baking in the camera processing.

Looking at both it's easy to say that V on the left is geared to a faster more standard work flow and looks as the name suggests videoey.

The C on the right Cinema preserves the most dynamic range possible in the camera and looks very close to a flat picture style on a Canon. Of course with real resolution advantages.

Very impressed overall with the look.

Can't thank you enough for the time spent doing these tests.

• @chauncy I'm the gorilla!

• Found a new video up on youtube that shows both an alexa and gh4 at 1080 96fps. It's the first one I've seen where the gh4 was deliberately set to give a flat profile.

• Auto Down convert to 1080p from 10-bit 4K via hdmi.

@ghill We had it monitoring at 24p through the hdmi out, I suspect (as far as the the latest test firmware goes) all is good with 96fps thru hdmi (24p wrapper).

10bit and auto downconvert if you need it.png
    1080 x 610 - 742K
  • Hi @driftwood, I noticed your pics above mention HDMI out of the YAGH for 4k display. In the Zacuto video, the panasonic rep mentions that 4k can be output via the HDMI on the actual camera without the YAGH, but voldemort says it can only do the 1080p down-convert.

Any clarification would be appreciated :)

• @kevin_kirchman Well we were monitoring everything out of the full sized HDMI Out of the YAGH thru a Engineering monitor unfortunately didn't have time to test the mini. However, I'm hoping to test out the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q in the forthcoming days with the GH4 thru the internal miniHDMI TypeD connection as well as the YAGH. I wouldn't be surprised if someone beats me to it though.

• Stills questions:

@mpgxsvcd I only briefly looked at stills - its still not final firmware so I wouldn't like to confirm the below stuff.

With HDR mode it appears to be 3 stills jpegs combined only from what I could test.

Preview seems to fade darker around 10 seconds, if you touch nothing it will eventually disappear on the minute mark. As Mark Baber mentioned in a previous interview with p-v its to prevent screen burn in.

I didn't get time to test RAW overlaying sorry.

From what I remember Auto ISO works for manual mode upto 6400. Didn't flash test so it could be lower with it in operation.

• The latest version of FCPX will take the 4K 8 bit files recorded off the card without problems. You definitely require a 4K monitor else you will see picture breakup during playback on a lesser spec monitor (I was using a couple of Dell's) with anything less than a GTX 670 gfx card. Alternatively you could work in proxy mode and then link to the original 4K footage before rendering out.

Here's two pictures showing a fcpx playback screen on a Dell monitor with a Waveform view at 35% (fit) view and 100% view with a waveform under 4K representation;-

[Roughly, on the fcpx viewer display expect to see a 4K whole pic resized to around 60% of its dimensions on a Dell monitor with a rez of 2560x1440] Images below are cropped in photoshop to meet 2meg limit of p-v. (images are from cinev all -5s inc -5 NR)

gh4 4K FCPX CineV- white0.png
    2048 x 1152 - 1M
    gh4 4K FCPX CineV- white1.png
    2048 x 1152 - 2M
    fcpx viewer showing a 4k fullscreen.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • @Tjabo The GH4's 200Mbps All Intra is better than the GH2's hacked max of 154Mbps (moon) and 176Mbps (Mysteron) Intra settings under the new encoder and profile, so yes - demoted to B cam!

Also someone asked about 50p EX FHD All Intra 200Mbps = confirmed - see pic

50pAll-I-200Mbps-1080FHD.png
    746 x 258 - 225K
  • @driftwood

So what is the maximum ISO in video mode? And do you see a large noise increase on EX mode like on the GH2. Maybe its well controlled.

Excellent info btw

• great to see 50p ex mode. hows the jitters in that mode? better? really looking forward to my pre order now

• @driftwood Is variable frame rate mode available shooting in 4K (from 2 to 30 fps)? Thx.

• I rescind my question regarding 4k out of the micro HDMI, voldemort just wrote a post stating you can and backing off his claim you couldn't. Vintage voldy....