Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • so why not 'touch the NR' ?

• @OBGene I meant I left the NR at 0 because I haven't purchased a noise reduction filter like neat video or Red Giant's Magic Bullet Denoiser II. For the reason that I shoot most of my video at ISO 200 and I don't think I'll see a dramatic benefit. If someone can show me otherwise, I'll bite the bullet :) I suppose I should try shooting with NR turned down a bit and see if I get more detail without any visible increase in noise. Perhaps this weekend...

• @flablo That does look great. I'm guessing that you're not using YAK's LUT?

• @SuperSet no, I'm just not trying to shoot flat: lens used is relatively cheap (but wonderful in my opinion) Fujinon 50mm @1.4. Don't know if it matters, but I didn't have a grey card with me, so I dialed manually the temperature (I think it was 3700K or 3400K) because there was a light with a bank lighting the subject and we estimated it should have been around that temperature: if I look at the shirt, it was grey but it seems a bit on the yellow side, so maybe the temperature was a bit offset. Could it be that by setting the WB a bit too warm I somehow counterbalanced the magenta cast of the GH3?

• You guys do realize that the GH3 in the WB menu has adjustments not only for the color temp but also adjustments for the green/mangenta balance. You should be able to get a fairly neutral image right out of the GH3. Depending on your lighting situation you should be able to get rid of any false green or magenta casts.

• GH3, 14-42 kit lens, 50mm canon FD f1.4 with RJ Lens Turbo

Natural Nr and Sharp -5 rest at 0

Graded with filmlooks

• @CarlosMorillo That's exactly how I white balance (video on page 27) and I don't have any problem with magenta cast.

• What is the native (best) ISO for this camera considering I can add as much light as I want? Go to answer is 200 but is it really? Anyone tested this.

• Here is a short video made with old footage of a job I shot @ Natural 0 Contrast graded.

I like the skin tones...

• Nice Skin, I think all 0 gives a nice result, I´ll try. Even with sat -3 I start to see some kind of plastic faces

• I never really post in this topic, but I check it nearly every day. This is a short (and completely pointless) video that was shot in 18 minutes, haha. Initially I was supposed to shoot some dancing in the subway, but my actress had time restrictions so I only had 15-20 minutes to shoot her walking around and film whatever we saw. While I'm not happy with how rushed it was and the actual material that I shot, I am pretty pleased with the final image. I shot this with a GH3, SLR Magic 12mm T/1.6, and Glidecam HD 2000. Picture profile was Natural with all settings at -5. I then graded in DaVinci Resolve 10 LITE, adding a light unsharp mask, @yak's GH3 skin tone V3 LUT, the Vision Color OSIRIS M31 Rec 709 LUT, Film Convert, and then finally a slight desaturation adjustment on the final node. Any feedback is welcome! Enjoy :)

• Matt

P.S. YouTube compression killed the grain (horribly - as usual :/)

• @yak and @Matthew Great skin tones. As far as the GH3 is concerned, I'm pretty much done with the -5 Golden Rule. I too get much better results in the 0 to -3 range on sub settings.

• @maddog15 Thanks! Yeah, I did some experimenting myself but I still find myself coming back to -5. With the right series of nodes I believe the skin tones turn out more cinematic and less baked-in. Just my two cents, though :)

Best, Matt

• @Matthew very nice grading, feels cinematic to me. But I do feel GH3 renders better darker skin.

• I would like to know, to make your white balance, you prefer use one white paper or one neutral grey 18%. With what do you obtain the best result ?

• Here's a two-minute test shot over the weekend at Natural -4, -3, -3, -5. No sharpening or noise reduction added in post. Extremely minor color correction; saturation added for good measure, and a tiny touch of Osiris' Jugo LUT thrown in :)

And here's the same as above, only with CGC's LUT Utility Kodak 2393

• some gh3 with old nikorr 28-105 mm 3.5 no color correction

• @jonpais Cool tests. Thanks for posting your settings on this.

• 15 Minutes with a GH3, Slidecam S900 and a Lake = 2 Boring minutes. BUT... I enjoyed being out when the temp wasn't 12 degrees. Trying warmer tones for cinematic color and grading. Natural -5 -5 -3 -2. Lumix 14mm f2.5 with 0.9 ND filter.

• @maddog15

Nice cam handling/setup. Very smooth, and "pretty" grade ...

• @rNeil Thank you for your comments. This Slidecam is like having a new camera. And it's not easy to do well... just like getting a new camera. LOL

• 2014 winter was fun while it lasted but I'm glad it's coming to an end. All shot Natural -5-5-5-5. Graded in Premiere Pro CC

• @maddog15 You're very welcome! I've been doing nothing but watching color grading breakdowns the past several days :) Very inspiring stuff. And to think that up until just a couple of weeks ago, all my editing was finished after step 1! And hopefully with more experience I'll be able to look back and say, "I can't believe I used to be done with grading in just 4 steps!" :)