Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry, when I say I filmed on a UHS 45mb card, the card was Panasonic's. I wish I took my cards! I did film a bit of the slow-motion 96fps playback on my iphone for what it's worth...

• I second that request ;-)

• Can you upload on we-transfer few second of unedited 4K material please?

• Had a play with the GH4 at BVExpo on Tuesday. Other than the fact that 96fps in Cinema Mode looked really nice at 1080p I was able to film 4k 4096x2160 24fps, PAL 3840x2160 25fps and 1080p 96fps on a 45mb Write / 90mb Read UHS class 3 card. Wish I took along one of my Sandisk 90mb Write / 95mb Read UHS class 1 cards to try out!

I did have to reboot the camera to change from PAL to Cinema Mode to get the 96fps which is a minor gripe, mind you how often would you use 96fps I suppose?

The camera felt very much like the GH3, even the menu's are similar with a few additions. The on-screen displays looked the same, although it has the addition of peaking.

The SDI/XLR/Full HDMI box, undercarridge? what ever its called? didn't look as big as I'd seen in pictures, but it would still require some major re-arranging if you've got a powered shoulder rig to mount it on. Would be ideal if panasonic or someone created a shallower adapter that runs on a cable from the base of the camera to allow the box to be mounted on the rear of a shoulder rig???

Will the GH4 replace my GH3? Not straight away. Especially as the GH3 body was retailed at £1500 when released in the UK when it was $1500 retail in the US. I got the PAL version for £899 just three months later in the UK when the price levelled out correctly to the rest of the world. Now that Panasonic have made the GH4 a switchable world cam I won't care which part of the world I get one!!!

• Very good videos, especially the one Bence Mate made, thanks. I can't wait for more samples and the final product to arrive in stores.

• @OBgene Sorry I did not check but I will Email the Rep as he gave me his Contact Info to ask any further Questions

• Finally! Sample footage looks stunning. I'm impressed.

Based on the image, I don't see this as an amateur cinema camera like, duh, pocket cinema camera. But more as a serious tool for photojournalists and documentary film makers. There will be a lot of use for fiction work, too, I assume.

• @miko Nice footage!

@OBgene

don't suppose you noticed if the display turns off after a while?

Somebody has mentioned that currently the OSD info and level marks on GH4 become dimmed after 30sec and totally disappear after another 30sec during video recording.

• don't suppose you noticed if the display turns off after a while?

I've been meaning to go to BVE this year but just too busy.

• @Miko Wow! That footage is amazing.

I would like to see some people, especially some shots of faces under different lighting conditions.

I have yet to figure out how to get proper in camera skin tone with my GH3. With my GH1s, I was able to get it down somewhat over years and hundreds of interviews.

But thanks for the lovely shots. Keep them coming...

• @miko Thanks for the clips. Looks to me like we are going to get a reasonably priced fabulous camera for all our still and moving images. I love that volcano eruption!

• Looks like Panasonic has been testing this for a while, shot over at least two seasons… or two different geographic locations with the same species… looks good though if it is the GH4.

• @inqb8tr

you are right, that is actually the first third party adaptor for GH4 i see coming out and having massive request by micro HDMI bullshit slut...ehem.. slot.

• There will most certainly be a third party micro hdmi connector for GH4 that is designed based on YAGH's connector with that thumb screw and all.

• @Craig_R I really enjoy your prose style! Wish I could've been there too!

• Just Back From the BVE in London Excel Only really went to see if the GH4 was there and have a quick look at the BMCC4K.

So Got to the Panasonic display and There sitting on the Desk were 2 GH4's with no crowd at all, So Only me and 2 GH4's One with the Brick and One with a Battery Grip and the lumix Rep Nice chap.

After a Chat he was Telling me that Nick Driftwood was down Yesterday having a look at the GH4 and they did a test 4k recording and put the footage on Nicks Mac Pro and it played ok ish he said, I don't know what Mac Book Pro Nick has But I guess it will be a new Mac Book Pro The Lumix Rep spoke very highly of Nick and Vitaily.

The Price of the GH4 will be released on 17th of March I think that's the date he said and any website with a price for the GH4 is total Bollocks and they were the words of the Rep. I did Crash the Camera a few times and it was Battery Out to reset it and was told that in a day or 2 they were updating the firmware on their cameras, but I guess he would say that.

One thing I did find interesting was the HDMI output I asked why a micro HDMI and the Rep said he did not know why they changed it as on an earlier proto type Gh4 it was a mini HDMI.

Will Say the Brick Does look like a 3rd Party add on to me. Once the brick is connected to the bottom of the camera the micro HDMI connector is pushed into the camera HDMI slot and a small thumb screw is tightened up into the camera body, It must have been an after thought. When you see it you will understand. Reminded me of the GH2 3rd Party battery grips.

I Did not take any photos as there are enough photos on the web to look at and I hate looking like a tourist at shows.

• @MRfanny I'm not seeing that magenta cast, and it's tiresome hearing the same complaint over and over again. http://jonpais.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/first-look-tiffen-nd-filter-kit/

• @QuinEtiam Best condition for filming with iPhone is to sell that brick and buy some decent camera.

• The iPhone 5s produces some good video in the right conditions.

• @QuinEtiam

I am glad for you, may be your iPhone is right camera for your needs, with company of your V700 it'll be real professional duo.

• Just not right.

My fking iPhone has 422... this is 2014!

• @QuinEtiam

LOL, it is forth circle I think.

• Why no 422?

They got 200mb/s and NO 422.

WTF

• So more photosites for 16:9, 3:2 and 1:1 on GH2 multi aspekt sensor is the correct wording.