Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @DailyFilmFIx...very nice documentary.

@RRRR Wow...that's unfortunate in regard to the "brick's" price. That may be enough to sway some people's decision. Overall though I still think this camera is a winner.

• Mr. Advertisement wrote on a comment that he don't know anything about external recording. He used only SD.

• @LongJohnSilver from the video the most important points are:

1. There's just 3 Pre-release GH4 in the world.
    2. Eduardo was making some workshop last year at Dubai, and Panasonic was one of the sponsors, so then is was the beginning of the relationship with Panasonic, until the last week hi received a call from a Panasonic person asking if he is in interested to try a new camera (GH4).
    3. Is exactly like the GH3, he got a shot in Central Park (NY) in a very heavy cold weather and take 4 batteries for the trip, but use just 2, hi is very surprised because under cold weather the battery must long last at lot less.
    4. For 4K recording you must to have very good optics, the Lumix 12-35mm and the 35-100mm are very good for this, but in other lenses (not mentioned) the low quality is very noticeable.
    5. The version of the firmware on his camera is the 0.3 and the option is disabled, but a sequences of photos at 8Mpx could be taken at the same time is recording video at 4k, he doesn't know if are Jpeg or RAW, becasue this option is not working.
    6. the last 5 mins was about the lighting workshop from Eduardo at Lynda.com
  • @RRRR Consider avoiding paying a higher price by not preordering--just wait until the price drops. Also make sure the cam you are preordering or ordering does not have the EU 30 minute limit.

• German underwater-housing manufacturer SEALUX announces an underwater housing for the GH4 on their homepage as "coming soon", not providing further detail at this time. I wonder whether they just expect their GH3 housing to be usable with the GH4 as well.

Meanwhile at Wetpixel forum a Nauticam GH3 housing owner speculates that his NA-GH3 housing might also be able to host a GH4.

(As you can guess from my avatar picture, underwater housing availability is a prerequisite for me buying a camera... ;-)

• Given that the GH4 chassis/buttons/dials are virtually unchanged, except for a slight finger grip and the addition of a lock button on the mode dial, it's hard to believe that existing GH3 housings wouldn't fit.

• @Karl Until now it seems that GH3/GH4 are exactly the same from dimension POV (except for the lock button as noted from @Adamt ) so I guess that the amazing Nauticam Housing would fit it. We could have the first Pana 4K underwater clips :)

My GH2 shots are 99% underwater... EDIT: I'm not the OP

• HDMI 4K OUTPUT

Some people have been questioning whether the GH4 can output 4K through the camera's onboard HDMI port. The answer is YES. It says so on page 15 of Panasonic's presentation PDF.

I've highlighted it in yellow.

Admittedly, it says it in a sort of round-about way, but the meaning is clear.

HDMI 4K Output.jpg
    1708 x 949 - 245K
  • It's not clear if it's referred to the micro HDMI on the gh4 or to the standard HDMI on the Yagh

• The presentation is about the GH4 itself, se right Side of slide 15. The YAGH is first mentioned on page 21 as an interface Unit.

• @driftwood or someone else please can re post the GH4 presentation? it says file no available.

• Tomaso is correct. Everything on Page 15 is talking about the camera itself.

• @xenogears goto page one. It has been moved here.

• i'm praying for that :)

• @DrDave

I don´t pay a penny until the camera arrives. The reason for preordering is to get to try it out as soon as it arrives – I have a 14 days return window and did the same with the gh3 which I didn't end up keeping. If it has the 30 min limit, which I'm pretty sure it will have (eu model in all likelyhood) then I just return it and order from elsewhere.. Bummer for the retailers, though it's ultimately Pannys issue and the retailer gets my money anyway on a regular basis. :)

@Ian_T

It´s kind of a specialized item though, isn't it? As it's possible to record to a external recorder straight from the camera should you need to and to use a stand alone preamp if that is absolutely necessary.

In my opinion, things look very impressive on paper but we know nothing about how that translates into the real world. I have no idea if I will like the gh4 images or not.

• @LongJohnSilver: According to this comparison, the GH4 is 2mm "deeper". That may not seem to be much, but in a tight-fitting housing, it could well make the difference between "fits" and "does not fit". I guess somebody will have to try it...

• @karl the depth difference seems to be caused by the new, slightly larger eye cup, which can be removed.

• I'll buy this camera. Just like I did with the gh1, 2, and 3. Haven't been disappointed yet...

• I'll buy this camera. Just like I did with the gh1, 2, and 3. Haven't been disappointed yet...

I love such extrapolation :-)

Near future.. I'll buy GH15. Just like I did with gh12, gh13 and gh14. Haven't been disappointed much yet, had to sell my mother-in-law for gh12, wife and kind for gh13 and house and kidney for gh14, but it is worth it. we all need to help Panasonic to survive, as they just recently reported that their losses decreased to 2 trillion dollars a year and Japan has almost no other territory to sell anymore to finance their debt.

• @DailyFilmFix, thank you for the thorough explanation of lenses, shooting scenarios and the pros of new features that may assist while operating the GH4. I have the GH2, still enjoy it, can shoot in situations where the BMCC will not be practicable or requires extensive kit/peripherals. The GH2 having the fold out, tilt, reversible LCD makes it so much more useable than the BMCC when trying to operate with a lean camera setup, and the Pocket would really be something else if the screen was adjustable like the GH2 and other cameras. A little hood on the GH2 does the trick for me, when needed.

I was fortunate to have a Nebtek 7" monitor back around 2008, it was one of the early models when peaking was being introduced more broadly into camera monitor systems. I don't have one lens that is able to auto focus, and I ask is you are referring to auto-focus or manual focus when you say: "When shooting handheld, you can just use the peaking to following the movement and set your distance (if that makes sense)."? I take it you're referring to following the auto-focus. Either way, I see how you can use the peaking feature to your advantage with auto or manual focus mode.

Portable lighting and LED is also evolving in a nice way, being able to operate a number of small lights with batteries for short periods of time does help in some situations, provided you do not need to illuminate large areas or deal with the problem of the light falling off after a short distance. I wish things were like they are today when I started out 20+ years ago. The GH4 has my attention, it might be one of a two camera group.

• getting a GH4 just for peaking and higher data rates?

• @whiterabbit I've used peaking with both autofocus and manual. With Canon (we have the 60D and the old T2i) it is all manual. My wife rigs up with the 60D for interviews, and I shoot broll with the T2i (last weekend coupled with her lovely Tokina 11-16).

I have shot handheld with the G6, but rarely do so. My A-Cam is the GH3, and I shoot with it most of the time.

What I like about the GH3, which will no doubt be carried over to the GH4, is the fact the at the .mov high bit rate, the clips are spanned (I think that is the word) pretty perfectly. Sure wish I could get that out of the Canons. Take for example, my doc work: most of my interviews run at least 30 minutes in length if not much longer. What I like is being able to set the cameras up and just have a conversation with the subject (of any length). You really can't do that with the Canons (that is why Canon went AVCHD with the C100, I suspect). Although I've not used the new Canons with clip length somewhere in the 29 minute range clip, I think that it would impact how I shoot if I had to worry about the camera stopping even 30 minutes.

Anyone know how spanning will work with 4K? And when will we get the storage rates at 4K at various bit rates? I probably missed a post on this...

• @Obgene I think the data rate on the GH3 is fine at 50mbps. Peaking is a must.

But the GH4 with 4K would give you more resolution to play with when scaling the footage in post. When I cut Red footage, I'm able to fix some composition issues and the final output is marvelous. I could see this being extremely helpful with the GH4.