Personal View site logo
Do we really need the GH4 and 4:2:2, 10 bit, 4K, Raw file? GH1 and GH2 still rock for me
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • "Do we really need the GH4 and 4:2:2, 10 bit, 4K, Raw file?" no disrespect but this is a dumb question. Maybe you don't need it but others do.

• Seems there are two arguments being mixed up here. There's the, is it the brush or the artist argument, and then there's an argument about brushes. As to the first, it's clear to me that the artist is more important than the tool. A good film maker will produce better work on an iPhone than a bad film maker will on an ARRI Alexa.

As to the second question, I think that the GH4 is a much bigger improvement over the GH3 than the GH1 was over the GH2 or the GH3 was over the GH2 ... even taking taking the hacks into consideration. The addition of peaking and zebra display should lead to practical improvements when using the camera without an external monitor. 4:2:2 10 bit output will grade better and improve dynamic range. Detail should be much better, especially when downsampling 4K footage. 4K also allows for lossless digital zoom and better stabilization.

• Nope, great work can done with any of the GH cameras.

What I would like is great image quality under sub optimal lighting conditions.

I have a GH1 and with the right amount of light it can look fantastic, but the image quickly loose its punch and get noisy when there is not enough light available.

So better light sensitivity, less noise, less rolling shutter, more dynamic range, all baked into a 4:2:0 8 bit 4k is a welcome upgrade as I wish to capture what I see with my eyes and not have to light everything I wish to capture.

That said having the option to capture 10 bit 4:2:2 if desired, (I imagine) will become even more affordable as an add on in the future, probably starting at NAB.

Anyway, the only thing I really want is video that look like still images I get from the RAW photo from my GH1 - that's an organic image.

• How many of you have either directly lost a job or had to use a different camera because the client explicitly stated that it must be 10 bit 4:2:2? I know there are cases where the clients would specify such things. I am just wondering how many people on here have encountered those scenarios?

• For some purposes 8 bit AVCHD 1080p is fine. For some purposes higher resolution raw would be more appropriate. Anyone who has read enough about technology and done testing in practice can judge for him/herself which tech is appropriate for which task.

As for watching 4k material, it is reasonable to expect that it will eventually become standard for monitors, televisions and projectors. Similar situation as SD to HD transition in the past. For short term work intended to soon be forgotten, no need for 4k. But for something that is intended to last for future generations, makes sense to futureproof as much as possible.

Personally, I know where 4k and/or raw would be of use in my projects and I'm happy that affordable cameras offering such technology are now coming to market.

Edit: removed story and links that were unnecessary for purpose of this thread.

• Hey...the more folks that are early adopters of the gh4, the faster the tech dribbles to the g line. And I still love my crippled ( no shutter button) gh1 running reliable playback. And my first comment on the gh4 is....the brick is absurd, but the camera is outstanding. I have zero interest in 4k but the camera alone shooting 1080/96p is very nice. Then again look at the new pany v750's which will framedouble 120p to 240. No one is even getting in the ballpark except panasonic.

• @eurocameraman Watched La Deuche from Hell. You had some really nice shots in there. Seems like you had fun making this one and it comes thru in the feeling of it all.

• My gut feeling is that the expansion interface is necessary for 4:2:2 10 bit 4K, but not 4:2:2 10 bit 1080P. The PDF specifications state the format is available via HDMI but does not specify resolution nor whether it's mini HDMI on the camera or standard HDMI on the expansion. Either way I don't believe 4K uncompressed is necessary at this time until later down the road when it's standard, it's just nice to be prepared without buying a mecha-godzilla attachment later.

• @jonpais

"For whatever reason", as in "I need an affordable 4k cam, I'll buy it for that reason" or "I need 96 fps, I'll buy it for that reason". Or even "I need my travel videos in 4k raw, so I buy a RED Scarlet" - I've seen a guy like that, he could afford it, nothing wrong with that.

I've said it before - some of you guys are crazily caught up in narrative films and client gigs like that was the only measure of what camera is worth using for ;)

• Hope this post will keep going on its way, exchanging constructive ideas. It's Night time in China, will have to leave at that point. I have to admit that I am a gear head as well and I am having far too many lenses, cameras, lighting and other stuff. I will invest in a GH4 (especially at that price), and I will keep renting a fancier camera when the production or the client ask for it. And I wil be pleased to work with it, but bigger and better the camera less freedom I get. Bigger budget means higher pressure, more people involved (art director, agency, client), no space for innovation or inspiration (at least in China) and no room for mistakes. Then, 4:4:4, raw file and all that stuff make complete sens, but this doesnt concern the type of camera I am buying and needing for my short movies and usual work. I am happy on both side of the spectrum, but my favorite position is to be a small potatoe on big project (ex; in charge of the Making Of of TVC) or a big potatoe on a small project (ex; Directing my own movies) to preserve myself from pressure and convention, to set free my inspiration and to endlessly renew the pleasure of shooting. The only exciting job to do under pressure without loosing any bit of joy is shooting a feature film, as all is about creativity with a large team and great gears...

• I specialized in historical printing methods in college - cyanotype, gravure, gum bichromate printing - and it has only been two years since I started shooting digital video. People viewing my prints back then usually discussed content, not technical issues. And the same went for most of the other students, whether they were shooting with Canons or Nikons. We knew the only limitation was our own inspiration, not the hardware. I welcome technical innovation as much as anybody else, but once again, the point of the OP is not to denigrate technological innovation. He is simply pointing out that it isn't for lack of the proper tools (DR, frame rates, codecs, etc.) that digital videos aren't as good as they could be. And unlike 99 percent of posters, he is willing to back that up with evidence.

• Nobody forces anyone to upgrade the equipment. If it works and you are happy with its quality, it's fine. At the same time, "I'm happy I have HD clips from prior decades, before HD televisions were widely available, so I can view them today in all their glory".

• Fair enough - we're talking tech - but in the interest of telling engaging stories - whether it's advertising, personal work, whatever. And have we exhausted all the means at our disposal? Judging by what I've seen so far, I don't think so. And it's not the tech that's holding you back.

• @jonpais ...I disagree, we're talking tech. However, will I make better videos? Answer, yes. Instead of fretting over 1:2 or 1:4 ratios while on set, I can now relax a little bit and more easily achieve the look I want. Previously I was super constrained by 8-bit 4:2:0, now I'm not.

I'm least bothered about 4k, but as VK points out, down sampling from 4k to 1080p has some serious benefits. Lower SNR, better colour repro, etc. All these things give you more latitude so you can concentrate less on the technical and more on your story.

• @eurocameraman very wice words..... if we want to progress, we will never gain anything by blaiming others or the gear, we need to learn to progress within the limits, and push our own limits with hard work, including practising, exploring, listening, develloping, inspiring... and be respectfull to those we can learn so much from.... on whichever level we are in... excuses dont bring us anywhere... action and pain will do.... and it makes no difference if we are in to business, documentation, filming, develloping, whatever.... just be a little more smart and persistant than others!!! Do we need the highlevel gear?? up to you how much you need to substitute your missing skills... ;-) have FUN!

• @itimjim The point of the thread is not whether 4:4:4 will look better: the discussion is whether you are going to make better videos that engage the viewer as a result of the improvements. In other words, it's not the limitations of the hardware that is the problem, but your own imagination. I know discussions like this have been booed off this and other forums (because we are all gear heads), but I think it is a legitimate point.

• Yes, I agree it look better overall, but I don't think it will yield colour integrity as good as 4:4:4 1080p directly compressed.

I do not know that you mean here. As with good downsample it must look better than usual 1080p 444, as you can use better algorithms in software.

• I'm not totally onboard with the notion that 4:2:0 4k can be down sampled to 4:4:4 1080p, as the 420 4k is compressed. Yes, I agree it look better overall, but I don't think it will yield colour integrity as good as 4:4:4 1080p directly compressed.

• Hi Neokoo Sorry for the missunderstanding. I have nothing to sell, but I got some enthusiastic message on Vimeo and directly in my mailbox from people asking for more. I am posting videos which are just here to balance somehow what people are discussing in most of the forum all the time. I am reading lots of negative posts everywhere latelly and my feeling is that so many people are always complaining about the camera available on the market or the newest one, not released yet. Always the same routine: AVCHD, 4:2:0, 4K.... It seems that all those guys might be so advanced in their skills, working for huge project and feature films so that they meet the limit of their equipment all the time. Nothing is never good enough to them. Unfortunately, we NEVER see a sample of those people's work on forum, not a link, nothing to judge the guy who is criticizing camera or other people choice. In this post I am taking the opposite stand point. Ok, I am enjoying all my simple gear including the GH1, even now, and I really think that the limit of my work is coming from my own limitation, my imagination, my ability to build up a team around me or not, but it never comes from the camera. Then, I post my video to illustrate my point. If those videos are not good enough, I dont think it is because of the GH1 or GH2, AVCHD, or 4:2:0. It is just because of me. That's it. BTW, I am living in Shanghai, working there and all my client or student are based there and this forum is not the best place for me to get any extra income. I am just passionate and once in a while I want to share.

• @neokoo Franc Peret has made some good points, and backed them up with evidence... "for whatever reason"??!! That's a heck of a way to justify spending thousands of dollars for new equipment! And I don't think Mr. Peret is in any way discounting technological improvements - he's already said he began using digital from its infancy, and has used lots of different gear. And I can't help agreeing with him - as much as I'd like to purchase the new GH4, and will - it won't make a damn bit of difference if I have nothing to say in my videos. Finally, if you think it's self-promotion, too bad. Do you have any videos you'd like to share with us, Mr. neokoo?

• You are right. I am old school and back to basic user of cameras. If my client don't ask for it, I never plug a monitor on the GH or the AF. I do for the class for my students to follow the process of framing/lighting, acting and follow focussing, but trully, the greatness of the GH1/2/3 is compacteness and until the GH3, the viewfinder was always good enough for me to be able to focus, to frame and get my exposure right with the live histogram. Unfortunately, on the production market, Canon 5D became such a standart that I have to work with it (renting) more often than I would like, and then comes the burden of plugging cable, setting up a monitor, having to carry an extra battery and to find the balance of a complete rig on the shoulder. 5D is a great tool, but you need a team and enough budget to use it. GH1/2/3 are a total different story. Little budget and single man story. As soon as I get an idea, I can go instantly, start to shoot it and then a craxy stuff like "La Deuche from Hell" was born. I think that things start to get wrong when gears slow down the process of inspiration.

• Hey, if tech you already have works for what you intend to do for foreseeable future, that's just fine. But some of us could use the new improvements in technology, for whatever reason.

BTW, starting a thread about this kind of "everlasting" question and posting loadsa evideo of your own making surely is a cunning way to advertise ;)

• I think Vitaliy was right - if I may put words in his mouth - so many posters in the forum are so arrogant in attacking Panasonic for the features that the GH4 doesn't provide, or the cost of the "brick", etc., yet they really don't know how to take advantage of the tools they already own.

• Concerning the sharing of information, it's interesting in the context of the upcoming GH4, where several people who had the good luck to be able to use the pre-production camera can't even answer basic questions about the tools they were using. Such as, is the EVF any better than the one on the GH3? Answer: I never used the GH3! Or better still, I don't use a viewfinder, I use an external monitor...

• Hi Jonpais Thanks so much for your comment and your willingness to join the class. This is trully rewarding to read your comment, thansk so much and you write this after watching only one of my video. I like to share technical information, I think this is part of the interaction with the community. I hope you will enjoy the following one. Here is the album with all the short film I had done during the filmmaking class. There is a kind of random weirdness into every of my film, and the funny part is that my students enjoy to step into it and to share it with crazy characters. I am feeding my passion for filmmaking that way, and I can feel you get the right feeling to give it a try on your own. FYI long before GH1 existed, I shot a short film with safety B&W camera with C-mount lens on it... I did one once with a Hi8 camera, the format prior to DV. That was lots of suffering in edit! Here are some of filmmaking class final result, everything is there: MY FILM SCHOOL SHORT FILMS https://vimeo.com/album/2111565

Sweet and Sour HD (US)

WMatching Future HD (US)

12th Floor HD (US)