Personal View site logo
Do we really need the GH4 and 4:2:2, 10 bit, 4K, Raw file? GH1 and GH2 still rock for me
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • One of my First short film experiment with the hacked GH1, 3 of them actually (multi cam shots) Might be the short film shot in the smallest place with 4 actors in it, 9 square meters... Marlene (US)

• @eurocameraman, I just watched the first of the videos you posted here, and it literally blew me away. I'm in the process of downloading a bunch of others so I can watch them without the dreaded Vimeo buffering! I also appreciate that you're so generous with information on your Vimeo channel, unlike many, who make viewers post countless messages to find out what settings and equipment were used. Also, your own analysis of the shorts, which is quite illuminating. I just finished watching a Danish movie by Ole Christian Madsen, Kira's Choice, panned by many critics, but which I thought was amazingly powerful (the camera movement, angles, the acting, editing). The film was shot on DV in 2001, around the time of Festen, yet another stunning picture from the early Dogme days. The actual image quality of both films is pretty terrible, but they are gripping emotionally in a way that many slick productions can't hope for. But I can't help but thinking that they would have been even more rewarding to watch (especially Festen, which practically flaunts its lack of technique), if they could have benefitted from the advances made in digital video... I live in Vietnam, and I'm just a novice, but I'm seriously considering coming to Shanghai to take one of your classes. Thanks for posting.

• They are and the main limitation I see, is my own... Another fun stuff shot on GH2/AF100 FingerUp HD (US)

• Gh4 should be pretty hot then. Panasonic cameras are built pretty well.

• Thanks for the important point Vitaly. In term of potential developpement GH4 seems to be the biggest step up since GH1 came out. I take benefit of this answer to thank you again for all your hard work. GH13 opened a new and great area for all of us.

• Unfortunately GH4 is still 420 which is a shame as 422 is more useful than 4K

Agree with most points here. Would have loved to have seen 1080 10-bit 422 internally from this camera

Guys, please remember that GH4 HAS internal 1080p 444 recording. It is just called 4K :-) Simple convert utilities will appear after GH4 release that will make 444 lossless formats out of 4K videos.

• Hi mrbill Pocket camera is very attractive on price point and the quality of the output, but for my kind of work the ergonomy of the GH series is something I really like, being a 1 man crew most of the time. I never need to plug anything to my GH (except a mike), I am using the viewfinder and focus directly onto the lens, without follow focus. The only think I am using outdoor is a COKIN filter holder, but no mattebox. I can freely change my POV by opening up the screen and get it into the right position instantly.

• Agree with most points here. Would have loved to have seen 1080 10-bit 422 internally from this camera. For all it's shortcomings, I think the Pocket camera is my next upgrade.

• Thanks for your comment I know all the advantage of 422 color, DR and so on, but since GH1 came in, I had read so many stuff every time a new model came out: GH2 is huge improvement compare to GH1, GH3 is a huge improvement compare to GH2 and now the GH4 is described as so much better. Out of pixel peeping, I didnt see any amazing improvement since the gH1. Unfortunately GH4 is still 420 which is a shame as 422 is more useful than 4K And as I said, I never had problem with AVCHD break up on Premiere as there is no need of changing the format to edit. I think the bad experience comes from Mac user. You can watch my video, which is vimeo compressed anyway, so does all of this matters so much?

• I love my GH2 and still use them. But the unbreakable 422 color I get from my Black Magic is awesome for color correcting and it's something I've wanted for a long time. AVCHD would break up if pushed too hard. The increased dynamic range also allows for shots I couldn't get with my GH2's. I'm with you on 4k though. 2k display is good enough for Hollywood theatrical releases so it's good enough for me. Actually, quality 480p still looks great to me.

I thought the GH4 is still 420 color sampling btw? I haven't followed it too closely.