Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @Aria It's funny isn't it, because I've got the GM1 and I'm also thinking, if the GH4 is only as good as that, with the extra features (better EVF, etc.) I'd be a happy camper. I haven't used them myself, but from what I've read, some owners of the GH6 and GX7 are probably hoping the same thing...

• Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do

Yep. And it seems like many here are saving their gear for no less than Oscar winner :-)

As they are even unable to film their cat - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9466/personal-view-nest-video-contest-cats-special#Item_15:-)

Waiting 4K raw for this?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Fully agree with you. In Russia we have a saying - "If your hands grow out of your ass, then..." no 4k will help you do your job well.

For me 4k will only have 2 positive sides:

1. It'll be easier to keep a lot of details during reframing my shots in post.
    2. 4K will let me have a much sharper 1080p without applying any artificial sharpness.

I personally think the following - if people don't care about some post work (editing, color grading etc.) for their shots, then they don't need 4K at all! These people will see no difference!

• We have a saying in America " If you have hands that grow out your ass, it's a good thing, more hands to feel up your girl friend" :)

• Here is a pdf with specifications on the DMW-YAGHE. This will give you an idea of its size and weight.

http___www.panasonic.com_uk_consumer_cameras-camcorders_camera-accessories_others_dmw-yaghe.pdf
  • @jonpais Yep... they have shot some real nice video's with those Panasonic cams..

@lunalobo75 Right on great way of putting it..

@LongJohnSilver +2 it surely will not that's a great idea..

@olli66 You definitely correct cause you need an extra cam for your shooting setup, and an upgrade..

@Aria You definitely have a point there, no doubt about it quality cams does help in some aspects. The point that I was trying to make is that with 10bit 422 / LOG, or Raw color science you truly need to know what your doing to get a real great image out of them that's all.. because Colorgrading is an art in itself. The plus about the GH4 is the fact that the image is already backed-in so it will make it easier and more efficient to grade over LOG / Raw files, and the 96fps slomo. One last thing I'm not sure if you'll agree with me... not too sure that a lot of GH4 owner will even use an external recorder to work with 10bit 422... a great external recorder will run you an extra $1299 on top (Atomos Blade) very nice external recorder.

• @killagram as the body is practically a copy of the GH3 I would find it strange if it would be missing, then again, maybe they'll surprise us. If it has 4k @ 10 bit 422 I'm interested in hooking it up to a BMD mini recorder and the new mac pro. Hopefully my shipping date doesn't slip past february...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev -- or dog! I'm currently editing a film about our extra ordenary Toller Thasha who pased away last december 30, 13 years old. Material is from JVC DVX4, Panasonic NV-MX500, HDC-SD1 and GH2. I will use The GH4 mainly for HD 1080. You'll find my dogs searching on Thasha on Vimeo or YouTube.. By The way, I have an Oscar -- got it from my friends, IT' s in plastic:)

• Anyone noticed the mention of an AF105 (MFT Pro Movie) ? Or is this and AF101A??

• The clunky interface unit makes it look like "Frankencamera." (Cobbled together.) Is it just me, or would there not be demand for the GH4 feature set in a slightly modified AF body with ND filters, XLRs, and more already onboard??

• @firstbase killing two birds with one stone springs to mind.

First target base - Event Photographers Second target base - Film makers

• did you notice there is no mention about 35-100 2.8f lens anywhere. In specs (AF,battery life) there are 14-140, 12-35 only and i thought 35 100 should be on the same level support by GH4 as was on GH3. I hope they did not limiting AF and similar things for it now as Im about to get one.

• Hem hem...

Is it possible that after 5 days and 26 pages ;) no clips or photos leaked except the launch one?

No other camera around or iron NDA signed?

• @andrevanberlo I hear ya, this feature should be available via the camera and not the interface but we'll know it soon enough. I plan to purchase a CD Odyssey 7Q shortly after if the GH4 is setup the way we mentioned earlier, otherwise I might stick with an FDR-AX100 due to the larger sensor size and extended dynamic range.

• After 5 days and 26 pages... nobody has asked yet for a GH4 firmware hack...? :-)

(Actually, the only obvious objective for such a hack that comes to my mind would be removal of the ridiculous EU-30-minutes-limit and the probably also existent anti-3rd-party-battery-code in the firmware.)

• First GH3 please...

• According to the 43rumors site, the GH4 A/V interface will sell for $2199:

http://www.43rumors.com/gh4-yagh-interface-unit-will-cost-2199/#comments

the price has not been removed and is presently posted on Phototools website under GH4 accessories.

• Makes sense...

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/158675#Comment_158675

:D

@LongJohnSilver: brace yourself young lad, for you shall see the immense details in whiskers and garden flowers in all of its 4K glory soon enough!

• Reading at tweets and posts of that guy Eduardo... I'm fully convinced that Pana has a bad kharma at choosing people for the launch of their products. This Mr Advertising built a full ad campaign inside the pana campaign itself twitting even the toilet paper name he was using while filming in the wild with the GH4. If I was Pana I would kick him in the ass... And by some strange coincidence he is Voldemorth's friend :)

• "According to the 43rumors site, the GH4 A/V interface will sell for $2199"

Overpricey isn't it ? :-( If it's true, I hope chinese brains are on fire to offer something cheaper... With only xlr and battery grip in the same concept ? It would be so great... Don't you think ?

• It seems to me that for many clients the end result will have to be HD and not 4K. I know that none of my clients has a 4K TV. If someone wants to up the quality of their 1080 from the GH4 they can get an Atomos Ninja 2 and record all day at a higher quality than in camera. The Ninja 2 is quite affordable. People also have the choice of just recording the 4K in camera and downsizing to 1080, which might still provide great results. It all remains to be tested to see what we're really working with here. No one knows how the codecs in camera will hold up yet.

• Yikes! The price, if correct, for the XLR/SDI accessory interface is more than the camera itself! That's crazy! There's nothing there that isn't screaming a cheap JuicedLink pre-amp and a Blackmagic SDI interface card cobbled together.

Some bean counter at Panasonic is friggin' nuts. I could have seen it go for $600, but not over $2,000!! You KNOW they don't want to sabotage their video camera lineup by pulling a stunt like this and not having 10 bit recording in-camera as well.

• Sorry if this has been covered..do you need the interface to record 10bit or will an Atomos Ninja 2 suffice?

• @SuperSet You can record 1080P 10 bit from the micro-HDMI port but it's not entirely clear if you can do 4K 10 bit w/o the interface.

• This brick is crazy. What's it gonna be, GH4+brick 4K$? Everything is 4k with panasonic this year...