Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • One thing that might arise also, is third party options replacing 'the brick'. My third party 'replacement' battery grip for the GH3 was way cheaper and really well made for the cost so you never know what third parties might come up with expansion wise. Also, its been mentioned that cheaper options for external recorders are on the horizon. I'm getting a GH4 (and finally selling my GH1 and GH2, but keeping my GH3) and i'll look forward to cheaper options with regards to HDMI 4K external recorders around NAB time hopefully.

• @driftwood Clear, intelligently thought out and grouped, detailed yet easy to read, compare and understand. Love the confidential red square :P - Big thanks monsieur. Looking forward your take at it =)

• @AdamT Vitaliy pointed me to the wikipedia link which confirms HDMI 2.0 spec does indeed support 4:2:2 10bit 1080P/4K; but you're right about Pany possibly numbing the mini pass through and reserving this stream for the full HDMI on the interface. Hopefully that's not the case and it's one of the things I'm hoping @driftwood could confirm when he meets up with them in the near future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

• @Psyco I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use your 4/3 glass with the GH4. I mean, you can with the GH2/3, right? No AF of course....

• Want my personal view? You can see from the specs this looks like a seriously shit hot camera (brings back memories of the GH2) and I believe that Panasonic engineers have listened to what we the filmmakers have been saying (and I'm quite sure they have taken note of the great work Vitaliy has done), and brought us a camera with new technology that they perhaps wanted to deliver in the GH3 - but didn't have enough time to implement.

The GH3 (and GH2) is still no slouch (I won't be selling mine anytime soon), but, I am really looking forward to testing this lill' baby with some quality lenses, 4k IPB, 422 10 bit, and ultimately discover for myself if its the real deal. It certainly looks it.

If anyone has any questions that you'd like me to ask Pany when I see them shortly, please feel free to pm me.

• For me one of the most important things is:

Can I use 4/3-glass (with adapter) on the GH4 - Can I use my Olympus 14-35mm f2.0 and 35-100mm f2.0 with the GH4?

Does anyone know? Couldn't find any information about "older" lenses.

• @killagram I hope your right about 4k 4:2:2 via the micro HDMI port, but I'm not sure that the PDF confirms that. They could be referring to the full-sized HDMI port on the brick. As Vitaly says, it does look like the HDMI is just passing through from camera to brick, but it's possible there's a software switch mandating downsampling through the micro-HDMI port unless the brick is attached. If so, that would seem to be an area ripe for hacking.

• @endotoxic How so? If you want 4:2:2, you're going to need an external recorder, plugged into either the camera or the brick's video outs.

• @driftwood Thank you, Great info!

• Still no info on the sensor size (readout area) in mm?

• @Lpowell yes,

but you loose the 10bit 4:2:2 200mbps

• @Tone @endotoxic

While the grip does have 2 rail mounts at the front, what happens if you want to shoulder mount the camera? Those two holes become useless because they do not go through to the back so no scope to add a shoulder pad.

I wouldn't want to shoulder mount the base unit, it's going to have an external 12v power supply and a handful of cables attached. That's the kind of setup I'd put on a tripod, along with rails-mounted matte box and follow focus. If I want to shoulder mount the GH4, I'd detach it from the brick and rig it the same way as I've done with my GH2.

• I was receiving conflicting reports that the HDMI port on the GH4 was only supporting 1080P @ 4:2:2 8bit and not 4K, even though Vitaliy said otherwise. As usual Vitaliy was right all along - PDF on slide 15 confirms 4K/1080P @ 4:2:2 10bit via the HDMI on cam. This is EXCELLENT news since it removes the interface from the financial equation :) Thank you @driftwood !!

• Driftwood's .PDF just sealed the deal tight for me. Thanks, Driftwood.

• This PDF Rocks!!!!! thanks Driftwood

• Have put a preliminary order at Scandinavian Photo here in Sweden. 14990 SKR. I beleive it will live up to the expectations:) The pdf posten by @dritwood made my day, confirming what I already thouht was thru. Thanks Driftwood!

• @astraban, its more confortable than you think!

• @endotoxic good for you! With that kind of shooting position, I don't give 5 more years to your neck ;-)

• Ok maybe someone will devise a riser but do we need three levels of 15mm rods really or would a better design have made it easier?

• The only problem i see here is shoulder mounting. I used to grab directly from my rig to the EVF of the GH2 and shoot up. With this i could no reach any EVF of the camera. Too high and cables must be on left side...maybe but no more shooting like on photo.

988316_558888427496371_1067497967_n.jpg
    720 x 480 - 55K
    527210_535194036532477_1652755929_n.png
    720 x 540 - 288K
  • With regard to rigging, all we would need is a bracket that secures to the two holes in the base and then curls up into the cavity directly in front of the camera where a clamp would secure the 15mm rails closer to the lens mount. Hot Rod Camera is probably already working up a prototype in addition to some PL mount options. Should not be too hard to fabricate.

• @tinyrobot

You are wrong my friend. A lens riser must be used on those rails, since is common issue on cinema zooms.