Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • No 96 fps, crop of 2x+1.2x in 4k, up to 30 fps in 4k only, no native 422 10 bit colours (I did not understand how), and the price? Boh..

This camera is just an epic fail.

• "*1 Motion image can be recorded up to 29 min 59 sec depending on the recording format and the camera’s sales area."

in a professional 4K video recording camera. Rediculus!

• just watched the video, it's really impressive.

• *1 Motion image can be recorded up to 29 min 59 sec depending on the recording format and the camera’s sales area."

in a professional 4K video recording camera. Rediculus!

Only in EU. Say thanks to EU guys. But as it is switchable you could buy it in any other place.

• Just put a preorder in locally, though from the looks of it I´ll have to get one from Japan or the US. Might just give it a test run over here before. Unless they scrap the whole 30min limit thing. Ridiculous indeed!

• This camera is just an epic fail

@renovatio just show us your oscar nominated works with your ideal camera!

• just show us your oscar nominated works with your ideal camera!

Imagine how it'll look in 4K graded raw.

• Video recording possible in 4/3 aspect ratio like the GM1. My squarefront anamorphic will be very happy! No more cropping in post or 3.5:1 from a 2x Anamorphic from 16/9 video mode

• @Vitaliy ""Only in EU. Say thanks to EU guys. But as it is switchable you could buy it in any other place."" And Europe? I'm guessing that 30' limit recording time is still active

• EDIT Nice movie from Bence...watched it on a proper monitor and it look pretty great

• The crop and reframe argument with 4k at 2.3x is far from ideal as the cropfactor increases even more. I bet you don't buy lenses at a certain focal length to just use the center bit of the glass and turn every lens into a telelens. And will you shoot a frame wider to maintain post cropping options??

Proper crops are 2.25x (Cinema 4K) and 2.4x (4K). BM guys solved all this problems long ago.

• Is there any scientific reason why the camera cannot do 10 bit to SD card?

• That base unit looks like a quick rehash of over produced af101 audio components which I guess didn't sell the way they were hoping. Nothing wrong with that though :-) remake, remodel.

• That base unit looks like a quick rehash of over produced af101 audio components which I guess didn't sell the way they were hoping.

Horrible. And it looks like they are used XLR connectors, same as on 14 year old cameras. I am shocked.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev ,

the question I hat is: can YOU hack this? Or is this system good enough? 96Hz in 1080p is fantactic, but can this camera more? Maybe 120Hz?

An whats about the ISO restrictions in the Moviemode? My GH2 has no anymore and that is very good, but I know, the GH3 has one and I never seen a hack for that issue.

An what is with the 29:59 min recording-limit?

• why don't people, after all this time, still not understand why there's a 29.59 min limit on these cameras?!

• why don't people, after all this time, still not understand why there's a 29.59 min limit on these cameras?!

Why people after all this time do not try to read things written above and understand that it is EU law, as otherwise EU gets big fee from every product not having limit (as it can be used to record movies in cinema). Yes logic is not present here, but it is your government, what do you want?

All cameras outside EU do not have limit. As this cameras is global and not restricted it is not a problem for EU either as you can get it in any other place.

• Wonder if it still has the ETC windowing mode. That's very handy with B4 lenses for documentary work.

That base station thing is ugly as sin, though.

• yes and this is not just for the cinema. It has other restrictions and taxes. And for all it is easier and cheaper to sell a photocamera with the recordlimit as a photocamera and not - without the recordlimit - as a filmcamera. All cameras that can be record mire than 30 min is automatically a filmcamera. And is no matter that the device is a Canon 5F MKII oder a RED EPIC...

• That EU 29.59 min recording limit because of taxes, how much would it cost Panasonic or the consumer to have it removed? I've always wonder that. Would it cost us EU consumers a couple of hundred Euros more? How much?

Also, can't they sell with restriction but sell us a firmware add-on through Panasonic store to have it removed after we bought? :-) That would circumvent import restriction too, wouldn't it?

• Using the external unit... How do we place bars and follow focus?

I suppose body price will be interesting, let's see with Pro conector.

• Its good news that we don't actually 'need' the additional base unit in order to get 422 10 bit out of the camera, as it can still output via HDMI (even though we can't simultaneously record internally). A ninja / Q7 and the GH4 will be a killer combo

• From what I've read so far, this is a piece of equipment indie frugal-class filmmakers could only dream about 2 years ago.

I have a strong urge to get one, even though realistically I don't need it...but I'm trying to reason myself - I'm thinking whoever buys this, he will be set from buying another camera for 3 or more years...right?

What more will you need, what can GH5 or whatever the successor offer that would make you upgrade GH4?

Also, all these specs make me think one thing only...there's no excuse no more to not make award winning movies anymore. At this point, it's only one's creativity that needs the firmware hack :)

• The EU tax for cams with more than 30min recording time is about 5% : http://philipbloom.net/2009/06/03/the-lumix-30-minutes-eu-recording-issue/

What's really strange is that it wasn't introduced because EU wants to tax video cameras but because these devices can potentially be used as a camcorder for copyrighted TV/DVD/etc material. The tax goes to the hypothetical loss of the rights holders. Big thanks to the copyrights lobby. http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/44445-why-digital-cameras-have-a-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

• 0-255 luma range selection is cool feature, but what about 10bit 0-1023?