GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by

sales29.jpg
    532 x 394 - 37K
    sales30.jpg
    527 x 392 - 38K
    sales31.jpg
    528 x 394 - 37K
  • Looks to be very spicy. I like it. Still think the 2.5k BMCC has it's place in my tool kit... but the GH3 is definitely good to go. Hope the resale value doesn't drop below $800!

I'm most excited about finally being able to get some high quality 60fps footage. The GH3's 60fps was great for what it was... but this is a new ballgame of high quality over-cranked bitrates. Great for matching prores shot material.

@Rambo take mine!

• it's worth noting that the max ratio available when shooting on an SD card is limited to 4:2:0 (with 8-bit color)—you'll have to rely on an external recorder and the previously mentioned DMW-YAGH to get full 4:2:2 subsampling along with 10-bit color.

And it is bad.

The GH3's 60fps was great for what it was... but this is a new ballgame of high quality over-cranked bitrates.

But still no 120fps at 1080p. And this mode even was considered during GH3 design.

• Still ... with everything that's been left off, horrible as that is ... I think I could live with this thing for a while ... :)

Neil

• Selectable System Frequency For the global business and professional user, the system frequency is flexible from 59.94Hz (23.98Hz) / 50.00Hz / 24.00Hz.

Something changed at Panasonic offices to make it happen.

But it is still not complete sanity, as 30min limit is present in its full glory for EU guys.

• Availability info from Amazon.com listing says "Note on Availability: Panasonic announced this camera on February 6, 2014, and we will begin accepting pre-orders on March 17, 2014. To be notified when this product will become available for pre-order, please click Email me and we will email you as soon as we have more information."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9GYG8O/

• Now, about DFD

The advanced Contrast AF system with DFD (Depth from Defocus) technology shortens the time to focus. The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH4 determines the distance to the subject by evaluating 2 images with different depth of field, while consulting the data of optical characteristics by using the lens, all within a moment. As a result, ultra high-speed AF of approximately 0.07 sec* is achieved.

What it is about?

Contrast AF main problem is that it can't guess direction and how far move the lens. But otherwise it is superior. DFD is made to solve this problem. It uses two images taken with some lens shift to make estimate of final destination. Reduces focus time and reduces hunting.

• @matt_gh2

First page has all the links.

• How much are the memory cards? Remember the Panasonic P2 cards? I would be all in if it is in the $1500.00 price range. If it is more then that I would rather go with Blackmagic based on the information released thus far. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Blackmagic yet though :-)

• In the last video, at 3:23, says it's compatible with GH3 battery and grip!!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Sorry I missed that I thought it was proprietary cards, if thats the case this looks like a very good camera hopefully the pricing is in the $1500.00 price range.

• Camera has “CINELIKE D” and “CINELIKE V” gamma settings

1KHz Test Tone and Colour Bars (SMPTE / EBU / ARIB Standard) are present

• Okay, I'll join the hype train. Full XLRs, get an odyssey 7q , and with a speedbooster you have a very competitive little camera.

• 7Q would be the perfect fit: SDI, monitor and recorder in one punch.

• 15mm rails under the cam with the brick below, hmm... Not sure how you may rig that combo. More cages will follow. Detachable breakout box would be cool, put it at the back of a shoulder rig for counter balance, multicore, haha. Random thoughts for now, it's kind of a Homer mobile to rig with the SDI/XLR box. Should be all good if you go CD O7, limited to 1080.

• And they gave it auto-ISO in manual mode too. LOVED that on my D3 ...

• Selectable System Frequency For the global business and professional user, the system frequency is flexible from 59.94Hz (23.98Hz) / 50.00Hz / 24.00Hz.

I am so happy !

• In the 4K sample "Live View Yucatan" there is some aliasing and Moiree. Not bad, but definitely there. Await more samples.

• I'm confused: It is stated in the first post that the GH4 can do 96fps in HD mode, but there is no reference or information in any codec/framrate chart.

Can it do higher frame rates in FHD? Can it do even more in 720p?

• I'm confused: It is stated in the first post that the GH4 can do 96fps in HD mode, but there is no reference or information in any codec/framrate chart.

It is available only in variable framerate with no audio. Hence not among video modes.

• But it is still not complete sanity, as 30min limit is present in its full glory for EU guys.

Ridiculous. Make such a beast but leave that in.