Personal View site logo
How soon they will stop?
  • 42 Replies sorted by
  • In 2015, global shipments of Ultra HD smartphones are forecast to reach 23 million, according to DisplaySearch. Ultra HD displays will account for more than 5% of smartphone shipments in North America and Japan in 2015, and just under 5% in western Europe.

It seems like all sane people died in the process.

• How soon they will stop?

Rather be stayed in! Squalid marketing - STOP!

Long live engineering idea!

• Sharp is gearing up for mass production of screens boasting the industry's highest level of resolution for smartphones and tablets, with picture clarity that enables viewing of even 4K broadcasts on a small screen.

The Japanese company aims to further enhance the earnings power of its LCD business by promoting the technically advanced polysilicon panels along with its separate line of low-power IGZO panels, and in particular by leveraging its reputation for small, high-resolution LCD panels in China.

The displays it intends to mass-produce in this manner will boast a resolution of about 600 pixels per inch -- 10% higher than the current leaders, made by rival Japan Display.

For the new high-resolution LCD panels, it plans to start out with shipments of several hundred thousand units a month. But the outlook for such panels appears good. DisplaySearch of the U.S. estimates that the global market for sub-9-inch panels for smartphones and tablets will grow 70% from 2013 to reach $56.4 billion in 2018, with overall demand getting a boost from panels offering picture quality at the high-definition level and better.

Get used to simple fact that 4K videos will be consumed on smartphones :-)

http://asia.nikkei.com/Tech-Science/Tech/Sharp-to-mass-produce-small-LCD-panels-with-eye-popping-clarity

• I doubt any difference between 720p and 4K will be visible on such small screen like smartphone. Even these big smartphones are simply too small to see the difference.

I really don't see any difference between 720p on 5,5" and 1080p on 7" screen of my respective devices.

• I really don't see any difference between 720p on 5,5" and 1080p on 7" screen of my respective devices.

I see some, but you need to look for it :-)

Yet 4K sounds cool, I am sure it'll sell well. Already FullHD screens are referred like "old" in reviews and all wait for more.

• Yes, LOL and the best is: I still see that many customers by my domestic cell phone dealer buy smartphones with all the awsome features and say: "I need it only for calls and SMS"

• @tetakpatak

They need this:

below $15 :-)

• LOOOOOL !!!!!

OMG, where did you find that pic? :-D

• Interesting chart

v119.jpg
    561 x 414 - 32K
  • is that your pet hamster, vitaliy? what other tricks did you teach it?

• what other tricks did you teach it?

Now I am training him to exterminate Samsung Galaxy smartphones.

• Love your photo Vitaliy, but those simpler phones with real buttons are ideal for people who can't see well (or at all), otherwise there's no tactile feedback. So I guess that's one reason people also make lo-tech phones still.

• Bad news

Large smartphones (otherwise known as phablets), are already a growing trend in Asia, having outshipped notebooks and tablets last year. But IDC finds that now even larger devices, tablets of 7” screen sizes and above, are increasingly shipping with cellular voice capabilities, and such devices are getting more traction in the Asia/Pacific excluding Japan (APeJ) region, breaching the 25% mark in the second quarter of 2014.

According to IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Tablet Tracker report, about 13.8 million units of tablets were shipped in the APeJ region in Q2 2014, of which nearly 25% (around 3.5 million units) had voice calling over cellular networks as an option built-in to the device. This translates to more than 60% growth on a year-on-year basis in unit terms for this category of tablets, which also incidentally happen to be 100% Android-based.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prHK25049014

• .image

China-based AMOLED display maker Hehui Optoelectroics has developed 6-inch Ultra HD (4K) AMOLED panels with 734ppi and is currently in talks with various vendors to bring the technology to devices in the market.

http://www.everdisplay.com/view.php?id=82

4K, my ass

z_imax56.jpg
    632 x 471 - 45K
  • Imagine the grunt a cellphone would need to run that! I'll stick with 1080 thanks.

• Imagine the grunt a cellphone would need to run that! I'll stick with 1080 thanks.

It is good for VR :-) As for 1080p - all good Chinese phones have such panels, actual difference between 720p and 1080p panels wholesale prices are less than $10.