Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • I'm hoping someone will preorder this camera, get one of the first ones and then send it to me so I can test it. For example, does the heat dissipation work? I will endeavour to fry an egg on the back, as well as perform other tests. Plus I can install a Bolex-like crank to see if that adds a filmic grain. Seriously, if you have one, send it on over so we can test it.

• @Ralph_B excellent article. It doesn't mention anything about AVC-Ultra supporting overcranking (ie. 120fps/1080p) but we'll all know soon enough what the GH4 can handle.

• If GH4k has that AVCULTRA LSI that tiny LSI wich costs nothing to produce when developed, using it on this camera would be a possibility. hacking it would be something very impressive to see, though the aproach that this new codecs offers, are very nice. Reminds me of patches from hack.

Seems to me they like that approach from the community. Something good had to happen from it.

• AVC-ULTRA Overview, rev 1.0

Expanding business opportunities with unified codec

Panasonic has developed a new LSI codec engine to perform a variety of encoding/decoding processes defined in the AVC-ULTRA codec. Figure 12 shows the appearance of the LSI and the photo of the LSI chip. The codec engine supports H.264/AVC profiles for professional applications, “CAVLC 4:4:4 Intra”, “High 4:2:2 Intra”, “High 10 Intra”, and “High 4:2:2”, up to Level 5.2 for 4K. This codec engine also has the ability to encode/decode the conventional DVCPRO codec family as well as the newly developed AVC-ULTRA. Incorporating the codec processor chip and high speed memory chips all within a single small package increases reliability and greatly reduces power consumption..

This new codec engine unifies AVC-Intra, AVC-LongG and AVC-Proxy and also supports from HD to 4K formats. An AVC-ULTRA product implementing this engine can support many formats and can be expanded by upgrading. Users can select optimum video formats and codec schemes depending on their target applications, workflow, and estimated budgets for production and it expands their business opportunity with minimum investments.

ultra.jpg
    558 x 252 - 29K
    2.jpg
    564 x 192 - 20K
  • That tiny piece of silicon costs nothing once the lithographic process is correctly done, why do another one for GH4k?????

If costs too much, maybe a striped down version from it would be the route, but the low power consumption would make no reason to block some of its decoding encoding properties. Thats why i see this camera a game changer in 4k and obtaining this LSI.

• Damn! I hope I can get a reasonable price for my GH3 and Blackmagic after this! Assuming the DR is around 11-12 stops on this thing...

• Me too... the only thing holding me back is the DR.

• Exciting times.

• Sorry if Im an ignorant, buy I have a question and I hope not be put the topic but has relation with this codec.

That codec can compete or have a similar level to RAW? I've never tried video on RAW, but I shot photo still in RAW ever and the possibilities are almost endless, so I suppose if you record video in RAW also has tremendous potential. So I throw this question because I see the impact of the Black Magic can record RAW at low cost and the Magic Lantern on the Canon, I dont know if Panasonic is on the right way or wasted opportunity.

Thanks.

• I would buy one, so it isn't totally wasted.

• Guys, be less optimistic. As if Panasonic will read it all they will certainly think on dropping few features and rising price :-)

• If it has 1080p 120 at 4:2:2 it will be an instant hit. 720p 240 should be possible just based on the data handling powers.

I really hope the specs aren't hyped up in the rumors because I already have my money saved. 120p 1080p sounds just so good! Too good maybe!

• The GH3 taught me to wait a little before I buy :-) Rumored specs may look good but until someone test drives it well I'm happy to wait. Then again perhaps that's just my bank balance speaking. :-)

• Love to know the Dynamic range specs .that's the most important thing for me .The 120 fps is major for me .

• An earlier rumor said it could do 4K at 30P. That's the same number of pixels as 1080 at 120P. So, it does make sense.

• my guess is 12 stops of DR with improved video sensor.

Well enough you can increase with this codecs maybe 2 stops more in post. 14 stops of perceptual DR is a good thing. And belive me, NMOS sensors are very organic. (call it minialexa)

• AVC-Intra supports only up to 60p. Realistically on this camera, it's likely to be 24p, 25p and 30p. However, Panasonic have implemented off-speed recording on their Varicam range, achieving 120fps with AVC-100 4:2:2 10 bit. Again, I'd be dubious of what they'll ship in this product, so I'm expecting something along the lines of AVC-50 4:2:0 10 bit....as an absolute best case scenario. In all likelihood, we might be looking at 120fps Long GOP.

Anyway, only a couple of days to see what is what :). Exciting times either way.

• Thing here is that all Panasonic formats are mostly marketing terms made for their pro range. In reality GH4 can use a few, but it is not important at all.

• Right now the strangest info is price. I fear we will get a inhibited/restricted camera or price will be much higher.

I do not believe Pana reps went insane suddenly

• Right now the strangest info is price. I fear we will get a inhibited/restricted camera or price will be much higher.

In fact, price is high. As from, pure cost view it will be almost same as GH3. :-)

Plus Panasonic knows that NAB 2014 will be 4K NAB. Sony and all also compete for people who are ready to pay for entry products.

• Agree, GH3 was very high in comparison to GH2. So if this weighs in at the same as the GH3, then that will be about the right price. Any higher and they're starting to take the piss a little :)

• 1) It will have a quad core processor.

2) Sensor reading is 50% faster then GH3 so much less rolling shutter.

3) maximum bitrate of 200Mbps ALI and 100Mbps IPB

4) 4K, you will have MOV + MP4 only.

5) In 1080p you will also have AVCHD.

6) The camera will have focus peaking and the user will be able to change the color. Focus Peaking will also work from smartphone through wifi.

7) Focusing will be faster and have more AF points.

• It will have a quad core processor.

GH3 has one.

Sensor reading is 50% faster then GH3 so much less rolling shutter.

You only need some logic to guess it :-)

maximum bitrate of 200Mbps ALI and 100Mbps IPB

Same old shit.

4K, you will have MOV + MP4 only.

It can't be otherwise as Blu-ray standard for 4K does not exist.

Focusing will be faster and have more AF points.

What is exactly "more focus points"?