Personal View site logo
How do I get Canon colors with a GH2?
  • I'm looking to Canon colors STRAIGHT OUT of my GH2 for video. Or at least, as close as possible.

I know there's white balance settings and film settings you can mess around with, but I haven't been able to get the balance right.

Does anybody know what settings I can use to get Canon Colors?

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • @acuriousman Straight out of the camera? That is a tall order.

One thing you can try is using a minus green filter in front of the sensor and using a custom white balance for each shot.

This approach can help to balance out the green / magenta differences between the two types of cameras. I find it's closer to the 'Canon look' than anything you can achieve in the GH2 with messing around with tint adjustments in the WB menus.

Have a look at this discussion for more info:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8113/speedbooster-gh2-with-cc30m-sensor-mod-fishing-trip-/p1

• I think this exact same thing has been asked before. I mean the exact same title or very close.

Yes, I just did a search and if you type in "Canon picture profile color" you can see this topic disused in a few threads.

• Ad nauseum....

• @vicharris I did search around but all of those threads were about post grading. I'm talking about getting the IN CAMERA image as close to Canon as possible.

• In camera is a different situation, but it's also less likely to be as accurate when compared to the flexibility and control afforded by proper post production. As I mentioned, minus green is probably your best bet for in camera. I've used a CC30M filter between the lens and sensor with great success - not only does it help to achieve nicer, warmer colors in camera, it also softens the image slightly, which really can do wonders for the ultra sharp (some might say too sharp) GH2 footage.

• First, you might use moon t7 as this hack setting gets close to canon look imo. more between canon and sony like gh3 actually but it would be a start.

• Don't use Panasonic glass. Use Canon, Nikon, or Rokinon/Samyang. Panny glass doesn't look good IMO, and is mostly responsible for turning people away from cams like the GH2 and GH3.

• Use Canon, Nikon, or Rokinon/Samyang. Panny glass doesn't look good IMO, and is mostly responsible for turning people away from cams like the GH2 and GH3.

I do not agree. As I went opposite way. Many people are so lens focused, despite being completely unable to produce any content with absolutely fine lenses they have. Looks like guitar player who want rare Gibson despite no one can sustain his playing for more than a minute.

Problem is that no such thing as "Canon colors" exist, as well as Panasonic colors and such. Each specific sensor filters and sensitivity is different (even if not much), as ADCs, add here different and constantly tuned processing algorithms (even for raw they do few things), and, surprise, camera calibration.

• Many people are so lens focused, despite being completely unable to produce any content with absolutely fine lenses they have.

Yea, this is true also. I just really like the look of Rokinon/Samyang and Nikkor lenses though on my M4/3 cameras. I have seen good stuff made on Panny lenses... they just don't look as "cinematic" to me (at equal focal lengths and f-stops). Use whatever suits your style though. Panasonic lenses would definitely be better for documentary, or live-event, projects where you need the electronic functions of the lenses though. But, if the OP is concerned with "canon color"... try using some canon ef lenses. Allot of the "canon-look" is in the lenses.

• @bwhitz

Allot of the "canon-look" is in the lenses.

I agree. Just some CA and corner softness and Canon look is close. Add oversaturated and overcontrasty colorprofile with proper softening and aliasing ( I dont know how to do that aliasing).

• @bwhitz Interesting, I never thought of using Canon lenses.

You mentioned EF lenses, which adapter would you recommend for the GH2?

Also, what lens would be ideal if I want something equivalent to a Panny Leica 25mm or a Olympus 45mm? And would any of those EF lenses be compatible with Autofocus using said adapter?

• You mentioned EF lenses, which adapter would you recommend for the GH2?

Most EF lenses are unusable (due to lack of any aperture levers) with passive adapters :-) So old FD lenses are more popular.

• You mentioned EF lenses, which adapter would you recommend for the GH2?

I've had good results with the Kipon adapter. It has adjustable aperture blades built in. It really only works with primes though... you'll see vignetting on zoom lenses.

But, like VK is saying... old FD lenses would probably be better as they have an adjustable aperture on the lens. I've got a 50mm FD lens+cheap adapter and it's great. Plus, the FD lenses are much more affordable. Good place to start if you want to experiment with different lenses on the GH2. Good luck!

• I deal with this all the time. Short answer is you can get close, but the skin tones will look different. Using a Color Checker pattern, you can use a Premiere Plugin or Speedgrade to create a preset to get he colors pretty close. Film the Color Checker, then match it up using the matching feature. Then tweak it, maybe dial in some orange to taste. In cam, make sure you do not use "cinema" and then try to tweak the presets, specifically the green/magenta to get in the ballpark. I usually start at "2 down and left one", but it depends of course on the ambient light. If you don't use any post correction, there's only so much you can do.

Also, different Canon Cameras have different "looks". So some may be more Canon-like to you than others.