Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100 Mbps Fast Action Performance - Series 2
  • 316 Replies sorted by
  • @LPowell

Wow! I am very impressed with your patch. I never really tried or compared your patch to any other patches but I must say very good job. It is very difficult to tell the difference between 24H and the HBR30p modes with Flowmotion 2.02, this in of itself is very impressive.

What I was looking for is the best patch to use for HBR30p mode. After close analysis and controlled testing. I have come to the conclusion that this patch offers the best HBR30p performance out of all that patches that I have tested to date.

The only thing that I did to your patch and all of the other patches was tweak it just a little to allow for reliable spanning in the HBR30p mode. This might not be totally fair because some of the tweaks that I made might have altered the IQ of the patch itself, however for the most part all I did was lower the bitrate in the patches to allow for reliable spanning. So I think it is a pretty fair test.

I have been on a journey with the GH2 trying to find the best setting for 30p mode. First it was Cluster Nebula T-6, then it was Cake v2.3, after that it was a modified version of Moon T-4 and finally Flowmotion 2.02. So to summarize here is my list in order of best IQ and noise patterns for the HBR30p mode, of course this is subjective and people will undoubtedly have their own opinions but here is my 3 top picks.

1. Flowmotion V2.02
    2. Moon T-4
    3. Cake V2.3

Thank you Lee for making this patch and sharing your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us.

Best Regards.

• thx again @LPowell !!!!

The Caserta Palace has been used as a filming location in a number of movie productions. In 1997 it served as a filming location for Star Wars when it was used as the setting for Queen Amidala's Royal Palace on Naboo in the 1999 film Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. It featured again in the 2002 film Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones as Queen Jamilla's palace.

• @Alex_K Look at settings/patches by user @bkmcwd. He focusses on stability as one of main goals of settings/patches he creates.

• So far there is no stable HBR30p patch at all for me. Even 95MB/sec card does not help. Sometimes it stops. All other modes are fine for me (95MB/45MB Sandisk 64 GB). I think i'll try simple double bitrate patch

• @tormaid 25p and 30p HBR files are recorded and formatted exactly the same as 50i and 60i FSH files. Technically this is called PsF format and its GH2 implementation is not as robust as the 24P encoder. With Flow Motion 2.02, the 100Mbps HBR mode should span reliably with 95MB/sec Class 10 cards. Your 45MB/sec card will record HBR video reliably, but will probably not span across 4GB file boundaries. Unfortunately, since Panasonic did not implement a low-bitrate version of 25p and 30p HBR mode, FM2 cannot provide 60Mbps 25p and 30p modes that would span with your 45MB/sec SD card.

• @LPowell

I've been having trouble finding information on this subject because most shooters only seem interested in 24p; What is the highest-quality option for 30p that will reliably span and why do 30p modes have more trouble spanning than 24p ones? I have a Sandisk 128gb 45mb/s Extreme card. I can span 100% of the time with Driftwood's moon T7 patch in 24p, which records at a much higher bitrate than Flowmotion at any setting, but all the high-bitrate HBR 30 patches I've tested won't span reliably. I thought your 24p 80% slow-motion mode would be a solution--that for whatever reason, the camera just functioned more reliably in that mode--but I cannot get past two spans when I push the camera. I would appreciate greatly any advice you have. Thank you!

• where can i find hbr mode menu?

• Too bad. I can see that ugly rain effect even on my cs5.5. Tried use 5DtoRGB first, then the issue solved. But it is troublesome for me. I have to use other patch now..

• I shot this short documentary using Flow Motion last summer in East L.A. It's about the second oldest Jewish cemetery in L.A. which has been heavily vandalized and the rabbi who has organized a campaign to restore it. Can't quite remember which lens I used, but most likely the the 12-35.

• For all those people that have to work around the "diagonal rain" problem with CS6 and CC 7.0: Today I tested Adobe PPro CC 7.2.1 and can happily say: IT'S GONE! Finally they've fixed it and I can keep on using Flowmotion without any workarounds.

Is there a special thread for this problem where we can post this news?

• @TATZU Thank you very much for your support, comments like yours encourage me to continue this work in Spain but not paid well. ;)

• The introduction to Flow Motion 2 on page one of the thread mentions access to PAL settings, where do we find this in the menu structure?

press button MENU/SET, go to SETUP, then VIDEO OUT(page 3), select NTSC or PAL, enjoy

• @tomw2 This hack, nor any other, doesn't in any way affect the actual programmed functionality of the camera.

To shoot video in manual mode you should set the dial to the movie camera symbol with an m next to it. All the other modes are for photography and will default to whatever programme you have set.

Pressing the red button whilst in m or s photo mode shoots video but makes all the other video functions automatic to whatever you have set.

ISO auto is engaged because you have iso auto set in the Q menu.

As the saying goes, 'RTFM' :)

• The introduction to Flow Motion 2 on page one of the thread mentions access to PAL settings, where do we find this in the menu structure?

• Hello all, I just figured out the problem I was having that I detailed in the above post. I was used to shooting video in the S or A modes. I realized that I need to have the function dial set to Movie (m with the camera logo) and then select MANUAL MOVIE MODE to have access to the S,A,M, or P shooting modes as well as the ISO adjustment and Exposure meter in the viewfinder. Problem solved.

• I just loaded flowmotion2 onto my GH2. I am shooting in M, or S priority modes. I have the REC MODE set to AVCHD 70P and the REC QUALITY set to H. When I depress the "red" movie button to begin filming the "shutter speed info" as well as the "ISO setting" do not appear on the display, and ISO AUTO is engaged. This seems odd to me, as one does need to adjust those parameters when shooting at times? OR with this hack to do have to set shutter prior to shooting, and have to rely on AUTO ISO?

• Hi @foggy, makes great sense if you cannot buy from a reliable source (which is why I love BH PhotoVideo so much!).

Re the slow-mo, I have had great results in shooting slow-mo with variable-movie mode @ 300% (and all the others down to 80%) and then slowing down in post, in After Effects if I have time because there are so many more options in field interpolation and frame blending.

I first used that method by mistake at 80% and was amazed at how great the slow-mo looked but then realized it is old school over-cranking so you have more frames to work with so the video is less jittery . I have often wondered why more people don't discuss that method but I suppose each to his own and it is all dependent on what and how you are shooting. Experimentation is what we are all doing every time we shoot, right?

• Hi Jacekk,I did look at the transcend cards, the only reason I didn't go with them is because here in the UK we have had a lot of imported fakes and even through reputable dealers people have had issues,that and I will be using OIS on my 14-15mm for in car filming and I worry that it may be too much for the card to be running the OIS and 24H at the same time(it is a documentary road trip style film that's currently in pre that I am buying new gear for).I have just purchased a 64GB Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s card for £43($70) which was a good £14 cheaper than the 32GB 95MB/s card,so less money and twice the capacity,I can't see why it shouldn't run perfectly when the 30 MB/s cards from the same company have been proven tonight(its actually gone 4AM here now and I'm up reading about cameras,you know how it is!) that they run perfectly fine.I haven't tried them in FSH or SH modes but as I have yet to take a single clip in those modes that doesn't bother me.Out of interest,which mode would I use if I wanted slo-mo shots? I'm guessing it would be the 720/50 (SH?) here in the UK at a shutter speed of say 1/125?

• @foggy As I noted above, I have had great success with FM2 using Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC, shooting entire cards shooting 24H, and have never failed spanning, if I am in manual across the board, with Nikon primes. These cards are $20 from BHPhotovideo and are really affordable and reliable.

I have occasional failures on that card if using FSH or 24H with Lumix lenses with AF AE AI etc but I wouldn't use those for an interview anyway. If spanning fails on a take of B-roll it's not an issue but in the middle of that crucial sentence in an interview is a killer (as you know!). For me as for you it is a question of budget - I like to keep the camera card as backup and then it just gets out the box expensive financing myself. Try one, I cannot recommend them highly enough.

• Thank you very much for both the hack and the reply, strangely enough I have read in the last topic that sandisk ULTRA cards don't write as quickly as the extreme cards despite both being class 10,however I just tried a 16gb sandisk ULTRA card and even in 24H mode it worked fine and spanned without issue?I am contemplating going with the sandisk extreme 45MB/s cards as a safe half way house that in theory should be fine also in 24H which is the only setting I use unless I am doing interviews at which point I use 24L.I have never messed with the other settings (FSH,SH,Etc) as to be honest I don't know what they do.

• @foggy Yes, all FM2 video modes work reliably on Sandisk SD cards rated 30MB/sec or higher. The only feature that requires a 95MB/sec SD card is 4GB file-spanning in FM2 100Mbps video modes. With slower cards, file-spanning is reliable only in FM2 60Mbps video modes.

• Hi folks,long timer user of the flowmotion v2 hack here.I have one sandisk extreme pro 64gb 95MB/s card and love it but can't really afford another.I have read as many pages on here as possible but still can't seem to find a definitive answer,I want to stick with sandisk as I would rather spend the same money and have lower recording time but higher reliability.My question is,have people been succesfully using the sandisk 45 MB/s cards as they are around half the price of the equivalent 95MN/s card and would save me a fair chunk of cash.Thanks.