Personal View site logo
Made my first paid narrative short film.
  • For those curious I used:

A Panasonic Gh2 hacked with Moon T7 | 2, 6 bank and 2, 2 bank fluorescent lights (Kino flo knock offs) | A R-300 led ring light | Drop cloth for diffusion | Only Zoom H1 for audio (Wish I could of improved on this one)

As you can tell by my equipment I'm a small time amateur. I was blessed to get a paid offer to make a short film to be shown in front of hundreds of people for an upcoming venue. This was my first time directing actors older and in some ways more experienced than I am. The first day of production I was soo stressed didn't eat a good meal for about 12 hours lol It's kinda sad but I pretty much can't recall much of what happened during production on day 1. It's like I blacked out! It's a true miracle I got what I did. Also so many mistakes(audio and video) and unforeseen consequences on my part, at one point I wanted to just scrap it! If this was how being a director was, I wanted no part of it. But eventually my nervousness and anxiety went away and I became more focused and it worked out in the end, thank God. So here it is, a sneak peak of my short film.

PASSWORD: fcmovie

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • the angles are great! The colour seems very washed out though and inconsistent. Not bad at all though!

• Yeah, great you got your first paid gig but your color timing needs a little help here and there. IMO doesn't matter if it's leaning one way or the other just as long as all angles in a scene lean the same way. Also if you were going for the washed out look, that I kinda like sometimes, especially in commercials, then you were good but if not, you might want to try and sit the blacks right on the bottom of the scopes and see how that plays out, though you might not be able to due to lighting, the DR and the talent. Every job has some give or take but well shot though.

A little spec commercial I shot last year had the same problem. I had the exposure off when I came around and it killed me in post matching up the scene. I did all I could but it looked like the people were in a different room almost. Good way to learn that lesson :)

One last thing, not sure what bulbs you have in your kinos but if you're not using Osram or Kino bulbs, you might want to throw on a sheet of 1/4-green when you use em. I have some knock offs and keep the 1/4- on me at all times, especially for my LEDS!

• Thanks alot guys. I definitely see what you guys are talking about with the color. For the hospital scene I actually did want the colors to be washed out and bland to make it seem a little bit more lifeless. But as you said it could of benefited from a more cohesive color correction to make it seamless.