Personal View site logo
GH2@ Stuttering when panning or with any kind of movement
  • I have a GH2 and am still getting stuttering footage when I do any kind of pan or shot that's not static. I have tried using different shutter speeds, but that doesn't seem to help. I usually shoot on 24p and with a shutter of 50, but as I said I increased to a faster shutter to see if that made a difference which it did not. Your thoughts?

BTW, I am using class 10 SD cards so it can't be the card speed that's holding things up.

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • A faster shutter will make it worse, try 1/40th sec and slow your pan speed down if possible.

• 24p on GH2 will always stutter. At first I was really freaked out when I realized it :)

• @Rivo_Kikkul

Ok, thanks Rivo, so what settings should I use for panning?

• Maybe 25p and shutter 50 will do better. I have G6 with 50p for panning.

• First test by really slowing down your panning...almost ridiculously slow. You may soon realize that the shot also looks way better with this slow pan - particulalry if you're doing narrative film work.

• As @vicharris once said,

Is it me or does this topic come up every 6 months?

To avoid this Ground Hog Day scenario, could we maybe put the explanation into the FAQ?

• hello is it possible to create a codec for PC able to remove this stuttering? instead of trying to make it disappear from the camera. I think this solution is possible using break or a frame can not see why the stuttering?

• And the answer is almost always...

What are you viewing it on?

A 24p or 25p file being played on a 60hz monitor will always stutter and look strange. Watch it on your TV through HDMI and it'll look fine, or convert it to 30/60p in your editor and it'll look fine.

• My GH2 has a bit of jitter or judder on pans, so I don't use it for pans. Some people are not bothered by it. When I got the cam, I noticed it in the first five minutes. I have not seen any way to fix it, but it makes for a terrific video camera in a fixed position, so that is how I use it.

• @jonmarcos @DrDave another thing to test: are you panning with an IS lens with image stabilization on? If so, try turning it off when panning and see if that mitigates some of the stutter.

• @JuMo I guess I tried it with about thirty lenses. My cam doesn't have IS, and most of my primes don't either. I have a zoom with IS, but it isn't the same quality as the primes so I can't really compare them. I'm happy with it as a tripod cam. It will be replaced fairly soon, and hopefully the next one will be better.

• did you check @svart advice @DrDave ? I used to always move my cam for my shots (I'm more calm now ;) ) and never had any problem with my gh2 footage be it on tv or projected. only way to see probs is on 60hz screen (same for a gh2 or an alexa : shame to use it like a fixed cam only...)

• the shooting in nature can pose problem because there is too much detail has to manage the camera, I'm from the country, it is difficult to get good results without tripods, I think that in the urban environment it should work much better, and the night with led light on black background image is superb. But it would be interesting to be able to code a codec to avoid the stuttering

• I only really noticed it in outdoor, foliage shots. But I use my G10s for panning shots. Waiting for the Panasonic 4K and then I can pan without panning.

• I noticed it and tested my HMC150 and GH2 plugged via HMDI to 50 inch screen. To my eyes, there were definite differences in the stuttering nature of the two cameras. I was using the GH2 with the 1/50th shutter speed at the time.

I switched to 1/40 and was happier with that. After looking online, turns out I wasn't the only one. There were a few threads on dvxuser with people coming to the same conclusion, switching to 1/40.

It helps, but I still see shimmering on certain fine detailed objects with the GH2. My guess is that it's because of the over sharpened nature of the Panasonic lenses.

• I started using 1/40 a long time ago on my GH2 and suggested it to people only to get blasted for doing something so stupid because it wasn't the rule. Kinda funny. I even dropped it down to 1/30 and I never heard anyone say anything about the motion being off. Whatdda gonna do! :)

• In high contrast the GH2 motion gets "stuttery" at 1/50. 1/40 looks closer to 180 degrees most of the time.

• As far as I am concerned, I'm satisfied this old issue was explained and solved by @driftwood in June 2012.

His explanation, along with references to i-frame hacks and appropriate fps settings deserves a place in the FAQ so we can avoid this merry-go-round.

One of my goals was to see if I could improve frame-to-frame motion picture continuity by boosting B-frame image quality to match the quantization quality of the I-frames. In an FM2 1080p video, there are two B-frames between each pair of I-frames. The macroblocks in each B-frame are formed from reference blocks taken from both previous and following I-frames, averaged together. This inter-frame compression process is similar to techniques used to generate "tweened" frames between the key frames in animated videos.

In FM2, the theory is that high-quality B-frames can effectively form a bridge between consecutive I-frames, by blending object details from both I-frames together. (Of course, B-frames are not simply averaged pixels, the details in each frame are individually refined to closely approximate the details captured by the image sensor for that frame.) My hunch is that when viewing moving objects in a video, your eyes make every effort to integrate the consecutive frames into a continuous stream, and that random frame-to-frame discrepancies are perceived as undesirable distractions. Hence, the disturbing judder we see in some videos, that mysteriously vanishes when you step through the video frame-by-frame.

In an intra-frame motion picture, whether film or video, each frame is individually captured as a self-contained still image, with no inherent connectivity to any other frame. Frame-to-frame continuity is produced only by the coincidence of having captured consecutive frames at very short time intervals. [...]

• I effectively settled it by attaching the camera to a tripod and not moving it.

• Well thanks everyone for the feedback. I will try a 1/40 shutter and see if that makes a difference. The lens I am using is the 20mm 1.7 which doesn't have IS.

I see your point @astraban , but most of what I do will be viewed on a computer screen in the final form, so I am looking for a solution for that.

For me the issue isn't solved by not moving the camera :) That would be quite limiting.

To be honest I am having a lot of issues with the GH2 and the most frustrating thing is that compared to the Canon DSLRs it seems like there are not a lot of easy to understand resources on how to resolve some of these problems. I applaud all the work that has been done with the hack and patches. It really unlocks this camera's true potential. However, sometimes it seems to me that many GH2 users, specifically those active online, possess a level of technical expertise far beyond my experience. I am more a DP and filmmaker looking to make the camera work, as opposed to a more techy person who understands things like @goanna referenced above.

I do have Andrew's book on the GH2 and it was a great help in getting started and I constantly use it as a reference. But there are things not in the book, like the major problem with green, stuttering, etc, that are still issues I need to overcome.

• Try 60i and about 65Mbs bitrate and then you can get very stable and enjoyable video. No sharpness pumping and stuttering and when you add sharpen in post resolution is almost same as 24p. If you use autofocus it works twice as fast at 60i. With proper deinterlacing (bob) video is ultra smooth in potplayer or other. No panning rules. In my very fast plasmatv (1000 times faster motion handling than LCD) 60i video from GH2 looks like watching out of window.

• Hi @svart, you mention that converting to 30/60p in the editor will help .. Can I put my pre cut piece (made in avid in a 23.98 project) through Sorenson Squeeze outputting a 30/60p file, or will I have to rebuild as a 30 /60P project in Avid? I'll check both but if you know already ..... thanks

Alan

• @svart So I guess to avoid jittery pand etc I'm better off shooting in Motion Jpeg HD now (1280 x 720) rather than Cinema mode 24H ((1920 x 1080 24p)? I usually deliver for the web and occasionally SD DVDs Alan

• The jitter one sees when panning is mostly due to the human eye ' persistence of vision' effect. The retina holds an image for a short time; turn off a light at night and the light seems to fade quickly, not instantly. Film projectors have a 3 bladed shutter to project each frame 3 times to increase the 'refresh' rate and make the flicker almost unoticable. Interlacing was designed for TV signals to create a similar higher refresh rate to reduce flicker. 50/60i looks smoother on panning than 25/30p for this reason. The best way to smooth motion at 25/30p frame rates is to have more motion blur in the pan. Reducing shutter speed to 1/25 for 25p or 1/30 for 30p is like using a 360 deg shutter on film. Camera motion is now more blurred and this helps the eye to see smooth motion, as there is less detail on the retina when viewing the image, helping to create the impression of smoother motion. The best solution for this issue would be a video standard with a high frame rate as standard, but existing technologies are all based around old film and TV frame rates.

• The jitter one sees when panning is mostly due to the human eye ' persistence of vision' effect.

Nope - or not really, although correct motion-blur helps.

I'm better off shooting in Motion Jpeg HD now

That's one way out of it.

As @Driftwood said, it's the P-frames. Put brutally simply, the P-frames are predictive, presuming all your pan's current movement will continue with the same cached still picture panning in the same direction at the same speed. The P-frames get it wrong. Every now and then there's an i-frame, an updated still-picture Nazi frame put there to get the Group of Pictures back on the right track. ("See, P-frame algorithm, we didn't get as far as you expected - we slowed down at the gate-post. Everybody back to the gate-post!")

If there's an i-frame every 8 frames, then your eye will see the difference between the true camera position and the place which the P-frame wrongly predicted it to be.

That little disappointment you get when things are not where you expected them to be is perceived, quite rightly as a jerk - as the vision jerks back to the gate-post.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/526/gh2-stutterjudderstrobe-issues-discussion/p1

If I've simplified too brutally, blurred distinction and resorted to metaphor, that's because some have said @driftwood's explanation is too hard to understand.

This Ground Hog Day is now getting asked in two different (and new) threads at once. Just like the explanation, the solutions, too, have been posted and ignored.