Personal View site logo
US: USPS problems
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • @MrAnthony

I like such simple approaches. Make something "competitive" and it'll cure all problems.
    But sad thing is - IT DON'T WORK. So, called "invisible hand of the market" can't even wax your carrot in reality.

All you is is process of dismantling social services. USPS is one of such services.
    This is why you constantly hear about it's problems, and why money spend is calculated in such a way to cause such problems.
  • @cbrandin: The USPS has no competition. It has a monopoly on mail services. That's the start of its problems. Lack of real competition meant that it could be inefficient and unable to adjust to changing conditions, unlike services like UPS or FedEx (which don't deliver mail, but deliver packages). On top of that, its board of governors and leadership acted like the USPS was a personal money machine, demanding all sorts of perks and helping to mismanage the service. Add in that Congressional action is needed to do just about anything necessary--they need Congressional approval to close offices, to cut Saturday delivery, to get out of Union contracts, etc.--and the whole mess is exactly because the USPS is a forced monopoly with no competition and ineffectively run by bad managers (at least in the past) and Congress. In fact, there's even an entire territory run by Congress; it's called the "District of Columbia" and it's not well run either.
  • "Change is scary for many, disruptive at times, and needed forever."

very well stated:-)
  • +1. We should embrace changes. Let's be proactive. Asians embraced new reality quickly. They went through acute pain. They are doing just fine. Why can't we?
  • In Europe, the post office acts as much like a bank as a place to send letter... times change. Did we all fear for the future when the phone company faced real competition? Change is scary for many, disruptive at times, and needed forever.
  • Actually, I think what we are seeing is competition forcing the USPS' hand. In the past, and still for most countries, government run postal services were essential. Times have changed, though, and now in the USA there are viable alternatives. It's unsettling to see this, I understand, but I'm not sure this isn't just the kind of change that happens naturally as a consequence of competition.

Chris
  • Ah yes, the result of Congress and its mandates, instead of letting competition and the market forcing the Post Office to operate efficiently....The USPS cannot lay off workers, close off unprofitable and impractical offices, or control its pension/health care payments without Congressional action. No wonder they're in trouble.