Personal View site logo
Story of idiots: Incandescent lamps bans
  • The cry to ban the humble incandescent lamp (also known as GS - general service or GLS - General Lighting Service) may not seem like such a bad idea at first glance, but there are a number of issues that have not been addressed (or even thought about, based on what has been heard so far). Incandescent lamps are inefficient, typically over 95% of all energy consumed is converted into heat - not light. By comparison, the CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) has a dramatically higher efficiency, although it falls well short of a full sized (18W or 36W) standard fluorescent tube.

Check the best article on topic that I know http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Yep, our dear bureaucrats in the EU commission went head first into this one. Ban the good ol' inefficient but simple bulbs for highly toxic, complicated CFLs. I predict a shameful outcome when the effective pro/con balance is made in a couple of years.

• I predict a shameful outcome when the effective pro/con balance is made in a couple of years.

Something tells me that they do not care about outcome.

They care about interests. Same was with asbestos and Freon.