Personal View site logo
US: Unemployment
  • 138 Replies sorted by
  • @cbrandin

No, sorry again, I meant to say that "social Darwinism" and "Darwinism" are both one and the same. One just applies to the economy... and the economy is just like I said, an extension of our physical and intellectual performance.

"Wrong! If social darwinism by itself were correct, there would be no mammals"

I don't actually understand what you meant with this statement...?
  • THREAD CLOSED... please...
  • @bwhiz

That's just an opinion. I can provide contradiction free support for my statements with facts. Can you?
    >>>>>>>

I've made very few assertions here, mainly I've just questioned the nonsense you've posted as unequivocal truth. Contradiction free support for your statements eh? Okay, support your claim that IQ tests measure ability to regurgitate information.
  • I have read read Ayn Rand - she stood for "the end justifies the means" and celebrated the rise of the bully too. Just because she got some things right doesn't mean that she didn't get more wrong.

Hitler stood for the right for Germans to live a decent life after WWI, he believed in full employment, he believed in the citizens of a nation's right to have pride in themselves, and in a good and affordable automobile - so what?
  • @bwhiz

But the GH2 is nice and stealth... if you're doing allot of guerrilla shooting... it wouldn't be very logical to use a Red Epic!!!
    >>>>>
    The amazing thing about Epic is it only weighs 7 lbs.
    I'm actually a RED hater, but gotta give them props for the Epic.

• "I have read read Ayn Rand - she stood for "the end justifies the means" and celebrated the rise of the bully too."

Well... maybe they do. Isn't that just a matter of opinion? And she was also very against physically violence, she believed in fierce competition of the intellect... but I don't think that can be considered bullying.

uggg... I can just see it in a few years... the liberal media trying to tell us that "being smarter than other people" is immoral.
  • @cbrandin
    I have read read Ayn Rand - she stood for "the end justifies the means" and celebrated the rise of the bully too. Just because she got some things right doesn't mean that she didn't get more wrong.
    <<<<<<<<<<br />Interesting how Alan Greenspan, one of Ayn Rands peers and a frequent guest at her famed dinner parties, disavowed much of Rand's doctrine of unfettered capitalism. What an indictment.
  • @bwhitz - "uggg... I can just see it in a few years... the liberal media trying to tell us that "being smarter than other people" is immoral."

Fortunately, I don't imagine you'll personally suffer from such attacks from the 'liberal media.'
  • "Interesting how Alan Greenspan, one of Ayn Rands peers and a frequent guest at her famed dinner parties, disavowed much of Rand's doctrine of unfettered capitalism. What an indictment."

Probably was trying to protect his "friends" from competition. Once you have successfully capitalized an industry... the next step is to turn to Collectivism and try to "plan" the economy of that particular market. That's the only real flaw with Rand's ideas. Maybe she just didn't see it happening or something.

@cosimo_bullo "Fortunately, I don't imagine you'll personally suffer from such attacks from the 'liberal media.' "

yea, yea. I get it. I'm dumb and illogical because I don't believe that "compassion" and "helping" is the solution to the worlds problems. Woe is me...
  • It's the smart conservatives who will be persecuted by the liberal (presumably comparatively dumb) media. All I can say is WOW!
  • Probably was trying to protect his "friends" from competition. Once you have successfully capitalized an industry... the next step is to turn to Collectivism and try to "plan" the economy of that particular market. That's the only real flaw with Rand's ideas. Maybe she just didn't see it happening or something.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<br />
    Huh?
  • Never-mind... I though you typed something else.
  • Hitler stood for the right for Germans to live a decent life after WWI, he believed in full employment, he believed in the citizens of a nation's right to have pride in themselves, and in a good and affordable automobile - so what?

And it could be ended "and overall he had been very nice guy and our friend" if not the Red Army. :-)
  • @cbrandin

You turned so simple natural thing into so hot politics. :-)
    I can even understand @bwhitz position better, as, at least it is based of some natural elements.
  • I close my eyes for a few hours and wake up to this... What happened to this thread? :-)
  • @VK

You'll get no argument from me about the Red Army and WWII. If I'm not mistaken, western allies suffered casualties around 800 thousand, whereas Russia suffered casualties around 27 million. There is no question that the Russian people and the Red Army really paid a price to end the war, to the benefit of the rest of us.

Sorry to get so heated:)
  • without reading through this entire thread, ill say what i think about the current state of the world.. completely fucked.

the reason for ALL of this is government and the propaganda of massive corporations, we cant rely on them anymore, we must do whats right for us, they have pushed us into this awful lifestyle. i cant even get into this because i will go on and on and give myself a headach.

your best bet at surviving in the future is to move to a rural area, somewhat highly elevated, with a good source of fresh water, and learn to do things on your own, be self sufficient, dont be so dependent on society. survival tactics are the only thing that will save us as individuals or even as packs.

if things keep going the way there going, and eventually everything breaks loose and society collapses, i know im not going to be caught in the middle of a highly populated area fighting with a million people over food, water and shelter.
  • I am only one person, but I would like to make a personal observation.

I find that message boards like this, that bring together a community with a desire to collaborate toward making a better "product", and without a profit motive are very effective and reach their goal much sooner than if there was no such message board or no such way to communicate. I run such a message board in regards to 3d printing technology. The benefits of such a collaborative environment I think have helped many in ways that pre-internet technologies would not have been able to achieve.
  • Wow I missed so much fun when I was out of town for the weekend. Not to intrude on what was obviously a very philosophical, and opinionated discussion, but It seems there is a lot of oversimplifying by certain parties straining at a nat.
    Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, etc... Doesn't really matter... Facts are facts.... There are always jobs (whether or not we want to do them is another matter.)
    Very few people have their ideal job, and the ones who do, have worked their @sses off and made them themselves. This requires no formal education only drive, determination, ingenuity, and even artistry; in fact in many cases formal education has served as a hinderance.
    Most of the people I know that are successful don't even have a high school diploma. (no they are not drug dealers, and their businesses are 100% legit).
    None of them were born into wealthy families, they simply saved and sacrificed their time and resources to become financially independent (of big business, Government, and the like).
    Some of them are now struggling because the Government and officials (whom we pay) are looking for ways and means to stifle their economic growth through excessive taxing and regulations. For them this growth is dependent on hiring new people which they now cannot afford to do.
    The solution really is to stop the growth of government and their power in our lives. We are more than capable to make our own decisions and suffer our own consequences. I stopped living under the rule of my parents when I was 18 and would never go back. Sadly most of us go from one oppressor to the next (Govt.) and find it far less fair than the rule of our parents and far more oppressive.
    As long as they can keep us under their thumb and set us against each other by putting us into racial, social, or political groups, we become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    As to the matter of unemployment it is pretty self-evident.
    I think Jesus put it best:
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day", (the next day he is still wanting, the consequence of this is you have hurt and not helped this person.) "Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
    Truer words were never spoken!
    In this day and age we have a truly remarkable invention, called the internet! (and no Al Gore didn't invent it). Where anyone with a little motivation and willingness to learn, can make their dreams a reality. It still takes sacrifice and hard work, but everything worthwhile is.
    There is no excuse for unemployment, for anyone!
    and I stick to my original post regardless of race, social class, or political leaning.

"you can't make the lazy work, when the government allows them to SUCKLE the taxpayers TIT."

• Christ never said "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
  • You have gone and proved i'm not a fundamentalist christian, the quote is still profound and relevant.
  • @KCG

I'm an athiest:-)

Chris
  • @KCG
    Education is one of best predictors of success in the job market, your personal experience notwithstanding.

"There is no excuse for unemployment, for anyone!"

There is an excuse for unemployment: There aren't enough jobs. Outsourcing, new softwares, automation, there simply aren't as many jobs as there used to be. Even Journalism gigs for local newspapers are getting outsourced to Mumbai College kids. Those are jobs Americans used to do.
    I used to work in South Central LA, lots of welfare recipients there, I never met one who was happy or proud about it. In fact they hated it.

• Globalization...

What made us boom is making us bust.
  • "... internet! (and no Al Gore didn't invent it)"

Al Gore never claimed to have invented the internet. He claimed to have taken the political initiative to create it. Those who actually did invent the Internet completely agreed, and said so in an open letter which you can read here: http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~fessler/misc/funny/gore,net.txt

Propaganda... fodder for hard hearts and soft minds.

"By means of shrewd lies, unremittingly repeated, it is possible to make people believe that heaven is hell-and hell, heaven. The greater the lie, the more readily will it be believed” - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf