Personal View site logo
4K Black Magic Production Camera, raw, $2495 now
  • 330 Replies sorted by
  • If I remember well a lot of people that where speculating on the sensor in the 4k blackmagic camera where saying the spec was 10 stop of DR in normal mode and up to 15 stop in HDR dual exposure mode. I think we are getting closer to the 10 stop.

• it seems 11 stops was a mistake bmd now state it is still 12.

• Who know when this baby will be availabble ? Some shop talk almost 5 months of waiting ...

• @flash

I see no sign of it on the horizon.

• And that is why I bailed on it when the MFT BMCC was announced for $1995.

• This is still my top camera, on paper. But I'm waiting 'till it is readily available and well-tested in the wild. By that time, there may be better options (namely, a mirrorless mount version . . . with ND? We can hope.)

• @B3Guy "mirrorless mount version . . . with ND? We can hope"
    Sadly...as far micro four thirds go...no we can't because...The lenses wont cover with that sensor.

BETTER thing to hope is an ACTIVE mount for the 2.5k and the hope that if I buy the regular one they will do free upgrade/exchanges.... :)

• @No_SuRReNDeR

Micro Four Thirds is not the only mirrorless mount . . .

• CMOSIS, the leading European supplier of advanced CMOS image sensors, is demonstrating its 12-Megapixel/300 fps CMOS image sensor CMV12000, which is now available in sample quantities.

High volume production will ramp up from June 2014 onwards. The CMV12000 excels current market solutions with a combination of excellent global shuttering with a stunning 300 fps at full resolution serving a broad range of applications like broadcasting, intelligent traffic solutions, machine vision and motion capture.. At ITE 2013, CMOSIS exhibits in the Pacifico Yokohama, Booth 87.

Outstanding in CMOSIS' portfolio is the newly upgraded version of the proven CMV 12000, which was first announced in 2010.. The current version of the CMV12000 offering 150 fps is in full volume production. The new version operates at an unparalleled frame rate of 300 fps. Volume production will ramp up towards the end of second quarter of 2014. Engineering samples will be available for purchase in February of the same year.

Via http://www.azosensors.com/news.aspx?newsID=6999

Is it this sensor that is used in 4K BM?

• Btw this sensor is made with TowerJazz, company who just agreed to buy three Panasonic factories.

• Is it this sensor that is used in 4K BM?

Nothing official from BM, although the CMV12000 has been suggested by many people in various forums to be the likely sensor in the BMPC 4K, as you probably already know. Footage.... Antici....pation.

• CMOSIS is pleased to announce that TA Associates, a global growth private equity firm, has agreed to acquire CMOSIS, a leading pure-play supplier of high performance standard and custom CMOS image sensors. The transaction is conditional on regulatory clearance and is expected to be completed by early 2014. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Huh.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131204005560/en/CMOSIS-acquired-TA-Associates

http://www.ta.com/Investments/Portfolio/Current-Portfolio.aspx

TA seems like firm made by banks and funds.

• Jeez, he couldn't have uploaded some shorter takes? 8.5 gb is large!

• @rockroadpix Lol, it's 4K, this is short takes :) good times

• Here is grading test at full 4k resolution. A lot of clean details there.

• Here is my version of the Grant Petty's first footage, with gentle grading of my preference. More Information below the video.

• @3Kids The two examples above have short multiple takes. He easily could have had the files in separate zips.

• From Captain Hook

• @Kholi - thanks, i missed posting it here!

• My scale & crop example using Grant's ProRes HQ files (see Vimeo page for more info & "HD" download):

• Somebody knows if it´s possible to bring to the BlackMagic 4K slow-motion with a future firmware? Even only 1080/60p in burst mode would be really great. Thanks,

• I don't care about what mount, what sensor size, what options. Just give me a global shutter camera. My ideal camera will be pocket with global shutter. I will possibly get the bolex d16 because of the global shutter. People always want something that looks like film. IMHO global shutter emulates film more then DR and color science.