Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @lumixmaxgh3 The vanilla GH2 shot at very low bitrates, hence the hack was a big step up. GH3 all but solved this issue, so a hack for that won't be quite as huge a leap forward.

• @watwo ok, hack for that is useless...but for unlock raw, continuous recording time, switch PAL/NTSC...for example... would be a shame..

• For me PAL/NTSC is most wanted feature of coming hack. Unlock raw is utophy but rising bitrate is good especially for intra and I think long gop mov benefits too.

• @nobbystylus I shoot Natural -1, -1, 0 , 0 (Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, NR)

Therefore I do not shoot flat. For me this is purely a WB issue. You have to get it right, but very easy to get it wrong when using manual glass.

• @nobbystylus

You do sharpening in camera (SH -1, NR 0). What lenses you use. I have found that with Panasonic lenses sharpening thickens fine detail and creates halos around high contrast areas. And NR is too better in post.

I shoot with pana lenses natural (SH -5, NR -5, contr -5, col 0). Contrast -5 for better dyn range and with high contrast plasma screen it is not flat or dull. Skin tone is good also. With normal LCD it may be different story.

• Ok so maybe its not to do with shooting flat. I'm going to try and shoot with new settings (-5 C, -2 Sharp, 0 sat, -5 NR) on Natural and see what things look like at grade.

I tend to use my FD glass or my 14-54 Mark II Zuiko four thirds zoom (great lens). I also occasionally use pans 20 1.7 and a recently acquired (for event type stuff) pans 14-42 cheap zoom.

This pinky orange tone is really bugging me and white balance helps certainly, but my GH2 was WAY more forgiving in post if i didn't get a proper white balance in camera.

• I wanted to respond to the recent flurry of posts regarding color on the GH3 and comparing it to the GH2. I performed extensive tests with controlled lighting between the GH2 and GH3, attempting to match them. My findings are similar to some others in that the GH3 requires that it be white balanced in order to get the best look possible. If not, skin tones begin to appear more flat. I find this to be a default in the GH3 as the GH2 is much more forgiving in this respect.

Comparing 0,0,0,0 modes between both cameras, I can say that pure red is very close. Green and magenta are pretty different. Perhaps the "pinky" tone of the GH3 is because of the difference in magenta.

Regarding lenses, I am not finding any significant difference between lenses when shooting on the GH3. Again, the issue here is about white balancing first. So, if you have a lens with a yellow-ish cast, white balancing first should alleviate that.

Since there is effectively no true flat mode on the GH3 and no current way to shoot raw, then you have to decide what look you want baked in when shooting. That look could be a "flatter" look. But it is still a baked in look.

And finally, regarding the overall differences between the GH2 and GH3, I agree with others that the GH3 has much better features than the GH2 and make it a value on set. That said, the image coming out of it is not as sharp and does not produce what seems to be a "range of colors" that are as "pleasing to the eye" as the GH2.

For me, it really comes down to skin tones and sharpness and the GH2 just kind of beats the GH3 in those areas. HOWEVER, I found that when I shot with the GH3 on it's own and did NOT compare it to the GH2, I was generally pleased with the results (assuming I white balanced, of course).

The summary here is this - for shooting interviews or any shots with lots of skin tones, try your best to white balance or set the camera to auto WB (say you're just getting lots of daylight B-Roll shots). Setting the cam to just "5600" in a lit room will not produce pleasing results.

If shooting next to a GH2, make sure you white balance off the same source, preferably a gray card. Also shoot a color chart on both cams if possible. Last, give yourself some extra time in post to match the shots. Use this opportunity to match the GH3 to the GH2. You'll get your skin tones back minus the sharpness.

• Fast and very effective small trick if you want pleasing skin tones with the GH3.

Shoot at 0,0,-5,-5

Saturate, boost the mid tones, and blur a little bit.

The codec is robust enough to get the details in the mids without adding much noise, try it for yourself.

A1 = No CC A2 = CC

Notice how the blur affects the leaves to the left of the face and cleans the noise of the darker side of the face.

a1.png
    1279 x 543 - 1M
    a2.png
    1280 x 544 - 1M
  • @yak Looks good! So, just confirming that you wanted to leave Contrast and Sharpness at factory 0?

• Skin tones caused me a lot of headache when color grading my shortmovie "Rose Wagner" entirely shot on the GH3, but after hours of tweaking with FCPX scopes I got good results. Have to agree with @yak that the codec is very robust. I used Natural -5 -5 -2 -5 and was really impressed on how it grades. Below a link to a really short "making of" which has some examples of non-graded vs graded shots.

• @Chris74 Amazing!You used only fcpx color correction & filmconvert?

• @superset Yes, contrast and sharpness at 0. I found that when the contrast is at -5, you get more room in the highlights and shadows but you loose in the midtones (fleshtones included) @Chris74 Nice aggressive grading, looks good, good skin tones, I'm still convinced there's no way to get the skintones right when grading softly at -5.

Here's the motion created "LUT" I made myself, with curve and saturation (no blur) when shooting at 0 contrast. https://mega.co.nz/#!0xZzAAoI!YsqDYnqkXy-H2WpvmrEomkytmrBXW0HfmUkDlNUV_sQ Include file key

Put the file in or create path: User>Videos>Motions Templates>Effects>Neutre.moef

• @lumixmaxgh3 Thanks man! Only used FCPX + FilmConvert. Was affraid of Davinci Resolve roundtrip in early 2013 but now would probably give it a go.

• @yak Thanks for the compliment. I agree that if you go for the -5 then you need to grade agressive. But that's what I love :)

• How do you guys feel about shooting a Whibal grey card on AWB and then white balancing in post with that grey card? I tried setting a custom white balance and it turned the image way too saturated.

• It has really gone unnoticed that @Vesku discovered that setting HDR, which needs to have non-RAW setting to Picture Quality, does something when recording movies. Nowhere in the manual is it explained that HDR works in movie recording, nor what it does during movie recording. This is indeed an interesting discovery of the GH3 and warrants some experimentation. I have done some experiments and it does look like some sort of HDR is done with each frame. I don't know if this HDR is worth doing for cinematic movies, but it warrants further investigation by the community, IMHO. I am finding that under some conditions it does a fantastic job of increasing dynamic range... Al

• It definitely warrants attention for when the hack comes around, but a lack of manual exposure makes it all but useless for anything serious right now.

• Even before any hacks it may be worth understanding what it can do combined with Picture Styles. Contrast adjustments, etc. It may behave differently with mp4, mov, etc... Al

• @yak I'm not a Final Cut user but would like to look at that motion template. Since I'm a Premiere and Sony Vegas user, is there a conversion tool for .moef -> .cube LUT file?

• I have a BMPCC also and I can assure you that the "flat" footage coming out of it is literally another planet, in terms of what you can pull out of it in post. And I'm speaking of ProRes, not even raw. In cases where no "special" grading is needed, on the GH3 I guess it's better to try to bake the look directly into the footage as much as possible, without trying to make it so flat and hoping to add everything in post. Now if only the LCD image wouldn't look like an animated GIF, that would be easier to obtain ... :)

• @Chris74 Brilliants shoots and grading. For me thats the best footage I have seen from a GH3. Awesome

• @jdude Thanks so much!

• @ aljimenez

You cant use profiles or picture adjustments with "creative mode/high dynamic" . All you can do is amount of color (WB-button) an EV. It is useful in extreme conditions like heavy backlight (sunsets) or christmas lights. Absolutely not for skin tones.

By the way I prefer GH3 color rendering for skin tone. GH2 is often a little greenish or "dead" compared to GH3 and especially shadows are softer and mushier and less colorful in GH2.

• @Chris74 Very very nice!