Personal View site logo
Fotodiox, Excell, Lens Turbo analogs for m43 and NEX
  • 351 Replies sorted by
  • @matt_gh2 I don't think that they ever said it was meant to be a soft focus adapter. I remember when it came out and people said it was too soft, they pretty quickly admitted that it was and offered refunds or a free upgrade to v2 when it came out. They pretty much DID admit that they rushed version 1 to the market. Now put yourself in the shoes of the guy running the company at that point. I'm going to make up a number and say that you've spent $150,000 dollars producing a few thousand of these things. Do you...

a) Destroy all of that inventory and take the guaranteed loss of $150,000?

b) Attempt to find another way to market and sell those products so that you can at least recoup some of the production costs?

If I were the CEO, I'd probably take option b, even if it did get me labeled "lame" by people on internet forums.

As far as their other rpoducts, in general, I'm most familiar with fotodiox lens adapters. I have a few. They seem to do a reasonable job of adapting a lens from one system to another. I wouldn't say they're especially great, but I'm not sure what would make them great. Regardless, I don't think they're a very big company.

• I am one of the few who accepted to risk, kept the stuff and hoping for the Mark II. Gonna ask Fotodiox for updates. And will let you know when/if I'll get the Mark II. I have a Speedbooster to compare.

• @eatstoomuchjam You've got some valid points there. Hopefully the next version is better. I'll probably be looking for a speedbooster in a few months, so maybe they'll have it by then or I'll just go metabones if that's only option.

• Got a reply 10 minutes ago:

We are receiving a test shipment in the next few days, as soon as we test and confirm the quality of the optics of the new version, we will be sending out the new version of the Light Cannon.

• Good news. Hope this time it won't become a star filter :-)

• Any word on these? Test footage?

• Rumor has it they are showing up in novelty stores as x-ray vision goggles.

cannon.jpg
    800 x 440 - 169K
  • Price for Soft Focus Adapter is now $49.95 Still hoping for an enhanced Light Cannon V2

• Give it up guys. Nothing they've said and done about this thing is true.

• This really seems to be going nowhere... If they really are working on something at least some test shots should have surfaced by now.

• So, here we go: Fotodiox sent me one of the new light cannons, its called Fotodiox Pro Excell +1!

They didn't notify me, so it was some surprise as I got mail from the goods import office... after an email and another three days the adapter arrived.

In the included letter Fotodiox says, that it is an early version and that it will officially be released shortly. I have no idea why I got one, but maybe because when complaining in detail about the first version, I told them I will opt for the 0.72 version - so, maybe there will also be "+2" for the FF->m4/3 adapter?

First look:

The adapter looks not much different as the first version, very solid build, fits tightly. There is more glas inside and the aperture ring has more/smaller steps from open to closed. The glas looks good, with some light blue coating on it. There seems to be no infinity focus adjustment:-(

Its now dark outside, so I could only test the adapter indoors (sorry for the boring subject).

Setup: GH2, 16:9 foto mode, ISO200, Tokina 11-16 at F2.8

From a small test, the focus scale on the lens is way off with the adapter. At 11mm infinity is around 0.5m(!), at 16mm its 0.7m. Close focus seems to be shifted as well, at 11mm its about 40cm and at 16mm its close to 30cm.

There seems to be NO COMA! :-)

But there is a lot of vignetting at 11mm, nearly gone at 16mm - but this is probably the Tokina (can anyone confirm this with a Speedbooster+Tokina11-16 combo?).

1) Tokina at 11mm with Novoflex:

2) Tokina at 11mm with Fotodiox Excell+1:

3) Tokina at 16mm with Fotodiox Excell+1:

All tests were done with max aperture.

The brightness increases by about 1 stop (doubling the amount of light).

You can also see quite some barrel distortion at 11mm - is it the Tokina?

Some information about the Tokina and a Speedbooster would be great to compare the two adapters.

Tok11.jpg
    4976 x 2800 - 2M
    Tok11_speed.jpg
    4976 x 2800 - 2M
    Tok16_speed.jpg
    4976 x 2800 - 1M
  • I did a google of Fotodiox Pro Excell, and this must be the first the public has learned of the new adapter. Still pretty soft .

• @kurth I'm not sure about that, as all shots where handheld and manual focus (which is a pain in the ass when the liveview is so noise due to low lighting).

• I'd have to see it side by side with one of the other brands but it is better, no doubt about that. I'll still never trust these guys again.

• Vizelex Soft Focus Adapter + Nikon 50mm 1,4 + 2x Anamorphic = Art

Looking forward to V2.

Vizelex_Softfocus.jpg
    2880 x 1080 - 493K
  • @anti12 Art indeed. That's a really cool still.

• Fotodiox Pro Excell

I am sure by the time they will reach Metabones like quality the name will be Fotodiox Super Holographic Innova Titanium

• @psyco

I'm not sure about that, as all shots where handheld and manual focus (which is a pain in the ass when the liveview is so noise due to low lighting).

I'm just comparing it to the straight-thru shot . why don't you upload a 1080p video ?

and btw, 43rumors had a post that lensturbo is selling it's first m43 version on ebay. I believe it was a nikon version.

• I just had a look on Ebay, isn't the lensturbo lacking a apertur ring?

• @Psyco I'm also waiting for the Mark II Vizelex, but didn't receive any update. But I'm from Italy and I opted (in case) for the 0.5 version they promised. May I ask if you are located in US? Also, did they send this to you as the promised replacement or just as a test? As for me, they sent me a promo code which I will be able to use upon ordering the the Mark II to have it free. Did they sent you the code as well? Thanks BTW: should I receive the adapter, I will be able to post a comparison because I own a Speedbooster

• I live in Germany. I got the promo code as well. And I have no idea why I got that adapter (I didn't get any notification about it).

• Germany? Wow. Did you have to pay import taxes (again) or did they manage to send it to you as a replacement?

• I got an invoice from the import tax office and told them that the adapter is a replacement - so I didn't have to pay tax again.