Personal View site logo
Collection of possibilities to use internal Audio on the BMPCC
  • In this thread I want to collect the possibilities to use internal audio on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I am very interested to get the smallest possible setup, as everything else defys the purpose of a "pocket" cam. Of course I also use a rice bag for stabilization, can be placed on any solid groud with the cam pointing in any direction you want. Works perfectly fine, as I hate tripods!

Now, when using the Sennheiser MKE 400 with the volume switch to "+" (gives +20dB output) still the audio in the internally recorded .wav file (when using RAW mode) is barely audible. On my GH2 for example I have to use internal mic setting "1" otherwise sound gets distorted, hence the mic is rather hot. Of course audio in BMPCC was set to 100% level, input to "mic" not "line". I have to push it in post +24dB to get a decent soud level. This unfortunately also increases noise.

Now, @spacewig has commented that using "line" input gives good results, unity gain (in BMPCC) = 65% setting, every tick up or down equal to about 0.75dB. Channel 1 to 65% and channel 2 to 5% as a 8dB safety track. 65% setting should be used if preamp outputs consumer audio -10dB (professional audio +4dV gain is at 0%).

What are you guys using - ideally (small setup) I would like to stick to a plug in mic.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • someone really needs to design a snap on stereo mic like the rode ones for the iphone for the pocket.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/ixy

• @GMC I´m using the ZOOM H1 as mic (from the H1 and others pluged in) and preamp with good results.

• Hi there, I have tested the blackmagic Pocket with 3 microphones; Internal, rode videomic and rode NTG2 (with beachteck dxa-slr). Here comes an sample.

• @Flaaandeeers do you have to push the sound level in post with the Rode VMP? As said above, with the Sennheiser (+20dB) I have to push heavily in post (+24dB) to get audible results.

• As far as I remember JuicedLink made specific stuff, you can check Sound category for them.

• I'm using the Rode VMP (+20db) with decent results.