Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • At first glance, one might conclude that the USH-I cards are the way to go. But look closely at the chart "Write Throughput: h2benchw 3.13" on page 12. It looks like the Sandisk Extreme (16GB, Class 10) would be best for our purposes.
  • Here's a very interesting report that everyone who runs a hacked GH should read:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940.html
  • Whatever setup one uses to compare GH1 and GH2 seems subjective. Interpreting results is subjective, too. In other words... don't waste your time on it that has little or no value which is subjective statement by itself.
  • "Mount a GH2 on top of a GH1 with the same settings and pan."

Watched all the videos and did it myself. Looks different. I'm asking for a scientific approach, not another subjective study where half of the viewers see the difference and the other half don't.
  • It affects the sense of motion.
    The continuity of micro detail.
    Large scale strobe is on the altar of 24/25p.
  • >It's very interesting to analize audio and remote controle related hardware....

They do not have such "hardware" as modern LSI is so much integrated :-)

>do you have service manual for gh2

I won't provide comment on this.
  • Hi Vitaliy, could you publish high resolution images of your's "dump" gh1/gh2 bodies. It's very interesting to analize audio and remote controle related hardware....
    and do you have service manual for gh2?
    Thanks in advance!
  • >There is also the b frames factor

And what difference do they make apart from better encoding efficiency? No, strobing won't be and ISN'T caused by b-frames, and there's no actual difference in strobe between the GH1 vs GH2. Like _gl said, it's mostly likely to be a bad monitor in combination with a lot of in-camera sharpening. Anyway, this is the hack thread so we should probably continue discussing it elsewhere. ;)
  • Yeah No sdi on the sf100 what a weird deal:(
  • There is also the b frames factor
  • Also sharpening can make edges look more strobey (especially on LCDs which hate high-contrast in nearby pixels), try turning it all the way down.
  • > Can you suggest a good test for this?

Mount a GH2 on top of a GH1 with the same settings and pan.

It's already been proven that there's NO difference in 'strobiness' with the GH2 vs GH1. Any strobing people are seeing is merely from a purer, sharper image, when the settings are wrong (not 180 shutter).
  • ok, I don't know for sure. there has been some comparison and there seems to be a difference in the way the motion looks but it's a lot of opinion rather than scientific evidence. Can you suggest a good test for this?
  • >It's probably from the sensor's higher native frame rate (60fps) which gets cut into 24p in firmware (correct?) whereas the GH1 has a sensor with 24p natively.

I think that this is incorrect.
    Both GH1 and GH2 have 24p native sensor modes as I know.
    If you feel that motion blur is somehow different you need to perform scientific test.
  • I thought higher frequency leads to more motion strobe.
  • I think he's talking about the lack of motion blur on the GH2. The GH1 has noticeably more motion blur it seems. It's probably from the sensor's higher native frame rate (60fps) which gets cut into 24p in firmware (correct?) whereas the GH1 has a sensor with 24p natively.
  • @crackermd 1/25 shutter speed is the closest to 23.976 fps in GH2 at 1080p24 mode. Wouldn't it be enough? Although I sure hope multiples of 23.976 for shutter speed become available in FUTURE bodies. Also multiples of 60p.

e.g. 24p, 25, 30, 40, 48p, 50, 60p, 60 (fluorescent lighting), 72p, 80, 96p, 100, 120p, 120, 125, etc.
  • >Do you have any possibility to make pe 24p mode with no "strobe" movements

no "strobe" movements?
    You have expirience shooting with other 24p capable camera right?
  • Hey Vitali, Do you have any possibility to make pe 24p mode with no "strobe" movements? to have something smoother...
  • Guys, remember also about SD devices.
  • >fs100 looks like the real winner this year for sure, I'm leaning towards the nano maybe the samurai, I think the ninja is not the answer for this cam.

Remember the samurai doen't have hdmi imput only SDI so it won't work with the fs100.
  • It's not that simple. lol r3d is usless and fat for a small sensor. Shot a feature last year on RED, great camera but it is just a camera. If you are interested in features for cinema release Red is good but you are not limited with any of these cameras, it all starts and ends with a story. fs100 looks like the real winner this year for sure, I'm leaning towards the nano maybe the samurai, I think the ninja is not the answer for this cam. This is the hack forum for gh2. I am a fan of gh1 and gh2. Not big on the Canon series but in the right hands any of these are fine. Stalin will be a success, can't wait. Happy Filming
  • Excuse me if this is answered already: any news on the likelihood of a PAL/NTSC switching capability on the GH2?
  • All I need is for Vitaliy to write in a new Redspace R3D codec 5:1 raw. And 120 frames a second for that ultra slow mo. And to enable esata, So we caN plug in our own 1.8" SSDs.:-)