Personal View site logo
Greece: Dismantling of education and medicine continue
  • The association representing doctors who work with the National Organization for Healthcare Provision (EOPYY), Greece’s main primary healthcare provider, on Monday called for 24-hour walkouts from next Monday to protest the government’s plan to induct hundreds of medics into a mobility scheme that foresees forced transfers and layoffs.

Employees at Athens University and the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) decided on rolling 48-hour strikes, starting from Tuesday, despite warnings by Education Minister Constantinos Arvanitopoulos that the walkout is sabotaging the studies of thousands of young Greeks and reports that the government will issue civil mobilization orders to force the employees back to work if necessary

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_18/11/2013_528372

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • The whole situation is now so complex that everyone accuses all the others that it's their fault and actually none is 100% right. The administration employees are the one that are on strike for the 10th week. The winter semester is almost lost. Today the Education Minister goes for the second time to the judges to force the civil mobilization. The media are expecting the riot police to move at the gates of the two universities today and they have send their OB vans to cover it. I have passed this morning outside the Athens Univ. and I have seen it.

• The whole situation is now so complex that everyone accuses all the others that it's their fault and actually none is 100% right.

I think I did not tell that someone is right. I just described the process. And process is simple - elites are dismantling basic social services. Also they are using media.

• I didn't say that Vitaliy, I know what you did. By the way the Kathimerini news paper is owned by Yannis Alafouzos, a ship tycoon, owner of Skai TV (top 5 station) and radio station (number 1 station), president of Panathinaikos FC and a few other radio stations and companies.

• By the way the Kathimerini news paper is owned by Yannis Alafouzos, a ship tycoon, owner of Skai TV (top 5 station) and radio station (number 1 station), president of Panathinaikos FC and a few other radio stations and companies.

And? It makes facts worse? Or what?

• An emergency payment of 8 million euros will be made to municipalities so they can buy heating oil for schools, the Interior Ministry said on Wednesday, after local authorities in northern Greece told pupils to stay at home as temperatures plummeted.

Primary and secondary schools in Florina and Naoussa were kept shut on Wednesday due to the cold weather and what officials said was a lack of cash to buy heating oil.

Progress.

• Doctors who work for Greece’s main public healthcare provider, EOPYY, are to continue a strike that began this week until Monday, December 9, after a failed attempt by Health Minister Adonis Georgiadis to convince them to meet him.

Another step in the right direction.

• This mess cannot change from one day to the other. Media for sure are trying and they manage to turn one against the other, the problem for me is that there's no common goal and expectations from people, everyone only for himself, I can't remember which party they voted in Florina in last elections but I remember for sure that almost every small town in greece except athens vote the same stupid corrupt people with fear not to risk their remains in banks. I live in athens, I don't believe any opposition could save greece, here, in athens we have the biggest problem in jobs and generaly living and all the small towns and villages vote again the corruption because everyone is corrupted except young people who pay for their perents and mercel's corruption.

• and of course in those difficult days fascist and nationalism grows