Personal View site logo
Purchasing BMCC - what else do I need?
  • If there is another topic about this please point me to it.

Purchasing an EF mount BMCC

Was planning on 240GB Sandisk card & Switchtronix V-mount battery

Is this good or is there a more economical option, also what other accessories (specifically) do I need? I read something about these batteries taking a long time to charge, is this true?

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris Why PM? I have same questions.

1. Make sure your base plate allows your camera the space to breathe if you don't want it to overheat. There is a fan gate at the base of the BMCC, and conventional plates will most likely cover it. Ikan has customised a plate for this purpose. For the same reason, I wouldn't recommend the Switronix base battery. A V-mount system is the way to go, but the camera shouldn't be resting on the battery.

2. Get a top handle if your palms get sweaty handling the camera.

3. Get a cage. The body bruises easily.

• I use a super cheap EM320 mic with my BMCC, this is because the inbuilt mic will pick up all the handling noise, particularly on a motorised rail.

The EM320 sits on a lead off the camera pointed at the action and gives a good sync track. (my main audio is done on a H4N).

Solid Tripod, because of the crop factor and L series Lenses help ;)

• Yeah good tripod. i use a Manfrotto 502. But if you have loads to rig up, get a Vinten, or Sachtler

• @kazuo Have been looking at the ViewFactor cage, seems to be reviewed well and possibly their v-mount battery plate. What do you use, the iKan rig? Looks good but not a fan of how all their accessories are yellow, haha.

• @theconformist

I don't use a rig for the time being, but have invested in Wooden Camera accessories. I have the NATO top handle, the battery slider, the baseplate and rods. i am resisting the cage cos it's a little costly, and have since paid the price. Thats how I know the camera bruises easily.

Think Ikan doesn't make cages for BMCC, but sells Tilta rigs. These are costly as well, but they look solid.

• By the way, my V mount system consists of a Switronix plate customised for BMCC (you can find this on the Wooden Camera website) and Swit batteries. A 120 w battery will last you a good 7 hrs

• You will need an SDI monitor or EVF! ... the screen is !@#*