Personal View site logo
Lighting a popular TV show in the 1960's
  • http://www.lucyfan.com/filmingthe.html

"To light a set for three cameras operating simultaneously and from different positions is a problem in itself," Freund said. "We have to light as uniform as possible, yet watch for opportunities to add highlights whenever we can. This is highly important, inasmuch as it is a comedy show requiring high-key illumination."

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • @ahbleza great link, thanks. I think this really was the blueprint for decades to come, and probably is still so relevant today. I know that when I first started working on various tv productions in the early 80's most of these production principals were still in place except the cameras and recording formats had changed, and colour had been in Australia for less than 10 years. I also love Freund's quote "At present, it is useless to try and improve further the photographic quality of TV films until the industry is ready for it -- that is, until there is further technical improvement in the various electronic components of the television system. Already in recent months, the industry has made great strides in this direction, with considerably improved picture quality from TV films now evident."

I think Lucy certainly knew how to hire the right people!! and thankfully it was shot on film and still holds up pretty well today.