Personal View site logo
Nikon Df
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • PR

The new Nikon Df is a modern classic designed for those who have felt a connection to their camera, who revel in the idea of going out to photograph an unfamiliar location, and who know the effort and ultimate satisfaction that is part of getting the shot. Announced today, the Nikon Df is a unique, advanced-level D-SLR that harmonizes Nikon heritage and modern performance in a lightweight and very capable FX-format camera. The new Df pays homage to the enduring style and controls of Nikon’s distinguished “F” series of 35mm film cameras, yet features technology similar to Nikon’s professional flagship D4 D-SLR. Released alongside the similarly styled AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition lens, Nikon’s newest FX-format D-SLR presents a versatile and reliable option to help passionate photographers truly achieve their creative vision.

“Nikon cameras have played an important role in documenting world history for the better part of 50 years, and have earned their position as a reliable tool that pros and enthusiasts can count on. The Nikon Df represents much more than a storied legacy of cameras; it’s more about giving the user a chance to truly enjoy the experience of taking amazing images,” said Masahiro Horie, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc. “The design is unwavering, and the features are the latest in Nikon imaging technology. The Df brings together the best of yesterday and today for advanced full frame photographers.”

A Classically Styled, Thoroughly Modern Masterpiece
    From a robust feel, to mechanical dials and finely detailed craftsmanship, the Df embodies the very best of Nikon’s photographic legacy. The classically styled camera recalls design cues such as a recognizable pentaprism and top cover, which is now constructed of durable, lightweight magnesium alloy. The top of the camera features elegant yet sophisticated mechanical controls for settings, letting users feel the tactile reassurance of adjustments, such as a familiar click stop for shutter speed adjustment. Additional dedicated dials also control ISO, exposure compensation, release mode and exposure mode, while modern controls are also easily accessible. The intuitive control layout allows for quick and confident setting adjustment, yet retains a solid operational experience that “feels like a Nikon camera.”

The Df has been designed with an emphasis on familiar intricate details made famous from previous generations, including the leather-textured top and grip, along with the body mounted shutter button with a threaded release port. The design also recalls the slenderness of the previous generation’s cameras, making this the smallest and lightest FX-format camera in Nikon’s lineup.

It isn’t all about good looks though, as this enduring design is coupled with legendary performance to create a very capable and extremely appealing FX-format offering for professionals and enthusiasts. The 16.2-megapixel FX-format CMOS sensor of the Df is inherited from Nikon’s professional flagship D-SLR, the D4. The large 36 x 23.9mm CMOS sensor is praised for its ability to produce amazing image quality in a wide variety of lighting conditions. Whether shooting landscapes, wildlife or weddings, the frames captured with the Df exhibit amazing clarity, accurate color and a broad dynamic range. In addition, Nikon’s exclusive EXPEED 3 image processing engine helps propel image quality, yielding images with a natural color and depth, all while enhancing subtle and nuanced tones.

Additionally, like the professional Nikon D4, the Df performs well in a wide variety of challenging lighting conditions with an exceptionally wide ISO range from 100 to 12,800, expandable to a staggering ISO 204,800. The combination of low noise and wide range make this an appealing camera to take on the challenges faced by photojournalists and event photographers, as well as those who enjoy the pursuit of extracting otherwise impossible images using natural light.

A Feature Set for Passionate Photographers
    The Nikon Df is engineered to enhance the experience of taking photos and represents a culmination of decades of experience and feedback from photographers in the field, the studio and the sidelines. From its proven AF system to modern connectivity and legacy lens compatibility, the Df contains the century’s best photographic features for an enjoyable all-day shooting experience.

• AF System: The convenience and precision of Nikon’s 39-point AF system is proof-positive of the benefits of modern technology. With 39 selectable AF points throughout the frame for precise focus, the Df also features nine cross-type sensors, and seven AF points capable of working down to f/8. Users can also choose from a variety of AF area modes to match their shooting style: 9-point, 21-point, 39-point, 39-point with 3D Tracking and Auto Area AF.
    • Get the shot with 2016-Pixel 3D Matrix Metering and Scene Recognition System: This Nikon system analyzes each shooting scenario and determines proper camera settings, resulting in even exposures, accurate white balance and precise AF. To capture action sports, wildlife and other fast moving subjects, the Df has a continuous burst shooting rate of up to 5.5 frames-per-second (fps).
    • Compose with a 3.2-inch LCD Display and Glass Pentaprism Viewfinder: Users can easily compose through the high-resolution LCD screen or the bright optical viewfinder. The LCD screen has 921K-dot resolution, making it easy for users to adjust additional settings, review images or compose using Live View. Using the glass optical viewfinder, users will enjoy 100 percent accuracy and a bright field of view. What’s more, the shooting data presented through the viewfinder has also been updated and digitized.
    • Connect and Share Instantly: Another modern touch allows users to connect and share their images instantly using the optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter1. By connecting to a mobile device, users can download and share images or remotely fire the camera.
    • Features for Creativity: Photographing dramatic monochrome or vivid landscapes is easier with Nikon’s Picture Controls, which allow for the customization of color, saturation and tone. The Df also features built-in High Dynamic Range (HDR) to combine multiple shots with enhanced tonal range, and two to five-frame auto-bracketing. For maximum control, images can also be captured in JPEG, TIFF or RAW file formats.
    • Support for a Storied NIKKOR Legacy: In addition to being compatible with all current AF, AF-S, DX and AF-D NIKKOR lenses, the Df is also compatible with classic Ai and non-Ai NIKKOR glass. Thanks to a new metering coupling lever located on the bayonet, the user has the ability to once again enjoy their lens collections with renewed functionality. Full-aperture metering is also supported.
    • Accessory System Support: The Df is compatible with Nikon’s Creative Lighting System (CLS), letting users take advantage of i-TTL exposure or fire multiple units remotely using a Speedlight commander. To remotely trigger the shutter, the camera also supports the new WR remote system, as well as the threaded AR-3 cable release, which screws in to the shutter button in the traditional style.

Price and Availability
    The Nikon Df will be available in late November 2013, invoking classic Nikon silver and black color schemes. The suggested retail price (SRP) of the Df (body only) will be $2,749.95*, while the Df and 50mm f/1.8 Special Edition lens kit will have a SRP of $2,999.95*. The AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G lens will be sold separately for a SRP of $279.95*. For an additional flair of nostalgic style, Nikon is also offering black or brown leather carrying cases, the CF-DC6B and CF-DC6S (pricing and availability to be announced).

Take my money NOW GOD DAMN'IT!!!!!

• It looks like FM3a 2x squeezed.

• Camera appeared for short time on Amazon

It will have 16.2mp sensor, Expeed 3 LSI and price was $2747.

• Last I heard it had zero video capabilities. Love the retro styling, though.

• Last I heard it had zero video capabilities.

Yep. Some time ago on Nikon funded blogs it was wave of publications stating that video somehow makes photo camera worse, so good camera must not have any video.

• It's so funny that marketing finally worked themselves around to removing video being a plus. I mean I can almost see someone thinking it made sense when they first suggested it in a meeting, but for it to get to this point seems beyond crazy.

Looks pretty good, I imagine the silver in person looks more like metal than it does in these pictures. I would have preferred a D800 sensor, too.

• It's so funny that marketing finally worked themselves around to removing video being a plus

As I said, it was quite clear that Df was coming as months before lauch series of posts appeared on blogs telling how bad video is and how its presence does not allow you to make good photos.

• absolutely no video

It appears as Nikon doesn't really care of how many those Dfs it's going to sell, or just adopted FujiFilm&Sony's tactic: make as many weird cameras as possible and see which ones would succeed.

"First women, then surfers, now retirees."

• I know you nailed it, Vitaliy, just saying saying it's funny as hell...

I carry around a 'fun' camera 90% just for stills, currently a 5n, maybe an A7r at some point, couldn't see myself going to something like this.

Pretty could preview impressions from dpreview, here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-df

• Oh please @Vitaliy_Kiselev hack this thing to enable video. It will drive everyone who buys it nuts when they realize that they just paid more for what Nikon removed in firmware. Wouldn't it be ironic if it turns out that this camera is actually capable of 4K @ 60 FPS RAW video but Nikon just simply turned it off.

I think this camera is brilliant. None of Nikon's competitors will ever dare to compete against this.

• Wouldn't it be ironic if it turns out that this camera is actually capable of 4K @ 60 FPS RAW video but Nikon just simply turned it off.

LOL.

• Trollshavethebestcandy in a comment at dpreview: Nikon went full retard

• Man, that thing look hideous. I count 6 different font styles used on the body. And what's with the fake leather on the pentaprism? Reminds me of the vinyl top on my grandma's 1975 Ford LTD.

• Should have named it dmf. IYKWIM.

• I also don't understand the still photographer hate for a video feature, lol. It's a button... Don't push it. I almost picture a still shooter looking at the function dial and seeing the little movie camera icon:

"Son-of-a BIIIIiIIIIIIIIIiIIIIITCH!!!!!!!!"

Throws camera, flips table over.

Seriously. What's the problem?

Gives me an idea for a skit...

• This camera is really nice. It's for who was looking for a remake of his old and beloved analog camera. I own a manual FM2 and took thousands and thousands of pictures with it. Since digital era I Always wished to have something like that in my hands, but NOT AT THIS PRICE!

• If the high ISO / low light performance of this camera beats the D3s it would be great. 16MP FX sensor awakes my hope.... I'm waiting in vain for such camera by Nikon already sooooo long. Even 12MP would be enough, just make finally the low-light-king please.

• I present Nikon with idea:

1. Make sensor to be 12mp - 4k x 3k
    2. Camera can shoot only in one resolution and only in raw mode. Plus in three real ISO settings.
    3. Absolutely no noise reduction in raw or any stage.
    4. Add another wheel on top that define fps (up to 120fps) and sub wheel with mode (burst, pauses, video).
    5. Call it "new generation still camera that shoots video better than all video cameras".
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Honestly, I think we are less than a decade from all cameras just being video cameras. They will shoot lossless compressed RAW 4K video @ 60 FPS in 1 minute segments. If you click the shutter button then it will save the progressive RAW frame from the video or if you press the video button it will save the video segment from a few seconds before you pressed the button till you press the video button again.

Then you will truly have a hybrid camera that can be used as a still or video camera simultaneously. This will require a global electronic shutter or an extremely fast readout rolling shutter though.

Canon just enabled a feature in their camera that was disabled at launch. I really do think that video was simply turned off in this Nikon camera. What a waste.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11/06/canon-offers-dual-pixel-af-upgrade-for-cinema-eos-c100-camera?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

• They will shoot lossless compressed RAW 4K video @ 60 FPS in 1 minute segments.

Such approach makes no sense to most people. First, people do not want raw video, and second, they do not like 1 minute limits.

Canon just enabled a feature in their camera that was disabled at launch.

We have it in C100 topic. I see absolutely no evidence about something "disabled" here. Seems like sensor upgrade.

• Video people are just as dumb the ones in photo forum that despise video on dslr. It is the same lack of knowledge and sense of self entitlement that Nikon is not giving them what they need. In the case of the photo shooters what can they complain about? Nikon has the best Line-up since 2007/2008 at the launch of the D300/D3 since suffering for about 7 years complete dominance by Canon. Is there anything comparable to D800 in the Canon Line-up. Medium format back resolution, highest DR ever (nearly 3 stop above Canon 5d3), Low light very near to the Sport/low light camera 1dx/D4. Even the $ 1000 D7100 has better resolution and DR than the 5d3. . In case of the D800 it is currently the best Dslr and by extention the best photo camera ever to exist. So if they are complaining about a button that they are not forced to use, then they should change job/hobby/passion.

Now for our friends here, who are complaining about Nikon not putting video in the DF… why should they do it? If anyone took 5 minutes to investigate, they would see that Nikon already have a solid line-up of video dslr, that are continuously updated. They just launch the $ 800 D5300 which included 1080p at 60 fps. A feature that even the Canon C line does not have!!!

If it uses the same Toshiba sensor tech than the D5200/d7100, it will have no moire/aliasing problem like the gh2. The day Nikon change sensor manufacturer from Sony… Hey, gone are the moire/aliasing. Gh3 gets a sony dslr sensor and back is moire/aliasing. Guess who is holding back sensor tech for moire/aliasing in its sensors. That joke of a Company called Sony is now telling us that they are sampling all pixel form there small sensor compact camera and people are falling for that. This is already gone from the Apsc/S35 sensor Nikon dslr for a year.

The low light is very good, it rivals the 5dmark 3 http://www.eoshd.com/content/9713 test from here and the resolution of the d7100 comes very close to the gh2. A Blind test by me, where many got it wrong and others did not commit http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-gh2-sharpness. You do get a bit better sharpness using an external recorder. The DR is superb in the 11.5 to 12 stop depending on different testers. Not the best test but again confirming the more scientific test done by people like Samuel H who did the Flaaat profile for Nikon camera http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...mic-range-test. With an external recorder, I would say that you could get 1/3 to 1/2 stop more Dr. So we would be in good 12 stop DR camera. The only caveat is the Fix patter noise, but neat video does a stunning job with the high bitrate Ninja footage which is also a bit sharper than the internal codec.

The aps Nikon are nowadays for me the best DSLR in terms of image quality below the Raw 5dmark3 and even then... until some knowledgeable people test them we will never know by how much. I have always been critical about Nikon but at least they are trying. They were the one that released the first dslr with uncompressed hdmi which is already a big step in the right direction and you even have it in its $ 800 camera. Everybody would have been all over it if there was not the RAW revolution of the Blackmagic camera for $ 1000. Unfortunately they were not bold enough as nobody could guess that you would have raw and 10 bit prores for 1k. The latest step is 60fps in 1080p, something you don't have even in the $ 12 000 Canon C300.

Again every new Nikon dslr generation is progressing, but where are the reviews, where are the bloggers/reviewers etc … who are supposed to guide us. So because it is not raw it is not good!!! I chose the D7100 over the Nikon D600 as a back-up to my D800 (I am a professional photographer), because of the video quality. I chose to buy an Atomos Ninja rather than the BM pocket camera, because I wanted the S35 camera look and lack of moire/aliasing. I sold my beloved gh2 because with my test, the D7100 was exactly what I wanted during the frenzy of hacked gh2, a better DR gh2. What I would really want in terms of image quality is at least 10 bit, the rest would be just bonuses for now.

• Looking beyond the retro user interface, Df price is almost equal to the Nikon D800E for much less resolution. For those who do not have Nikon lenses, the Sony A7r is quite a bit cheaper. Just comparing on B&H.