Personal View site logo
Where people now spend their money, instead of buying cameras
  • If the five other big energy suppliers follow the lead of SSE and raise their gas and electricity prices by a similar amount, it is predicted that the average dual fuel bill would rocket to just under £1,500 a year from £1,353.

Eon, Scottish Power, EDF Energy, nPower and British Gas are expected to announce their new tariffs shortly.

Last week, SSE said that annual dual fuel bills would go up by an average of 8.2 per cent from mid-November.

Ann Robinson, director of consumer policy at uSwitch, said: "This is dangerously close to the tipping point of £1,500, beyond which 59 percent of households will be going without adequate heating and 36 percent will be forced to turn their heating off entirely ."

Via: http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/436422/Fuel-hikes-to-push-families-over-edge

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • It's a good thing I've just picked up a wood burner, fuel prices are only going one way unfortunately, and if we have another winter like the last couple of years, the stove will have paid for itself by spring...
    Putting a jumper on, when it gets cold (not bad advice) will only do so much for those struggling to heat their homes, when the power outages come, as it is suggested they will looking longer term, I'm sure to be grateful of a heating source that is not reliant on the grid.

• Me? It's been a long time since revenue from my audiovisual efforts allowed me to upgrade my camera. So, if my GH2's not broken...

I'm working fewer hours in an electronics store so as to work more on my home. I believe it's a wise choice.

I'm personally buying building materials which save me money. Rebuilt a swamp cooler, now fitting it to the house roof along with the electricity and plumbing. It's 40 degrees C today and it's still only springtime. None of the bushfires here yet but yesterday I spent the cool morning fitting fibre cement fascia ($70.00) to the top of the walls to replace the flammable timber stuff. In the hot afternoon I fixed my washing machine. (Silicon sealant, $1)

When cans of tuna go down to $1.00 each, well, that's the day I buy 20 of them.

• I haven't bought a camera recently because the new ones don't look that great. I wish there was a nice juicy 4K camera with no jaggies for under a grand.

• speaking of which I wonder if anyone here actually borrows money to finance his equipment. I know of people who do that, not from banks of course cos the principle sum is too low. Then there are those who run rental houses. In these lean times, I wonder how they are going to pay back, even the interests, assuming jobs are drying up, and more freelancers are now self-equipped.

• This is yet another sign of the widening gap between the corporate world and "the rest of us". They have no clue and really don't care what stresses these arbitrary increases cause for the vast majority of people. The margins and obscene amount of profits they make are never enough. If you think about it another way, it's like a dog or other animal that will keep eating until it throws up. They have no "self-stop" mechanism to control their unending appetite. It's no different with the corporate world. Their unending pursuit of short-term goals and increasing profits will ultimately lead to a worldwide meltdown. It's not a question of if, just a question of when.

• @aae991

Did not fully get how it relate to this topic.

It is about upcoming energy costs increase, and it happening in most places worldwide. Have nothing to do with corporations of their profits, btw.

• I respectfully disagree. The entire energy market is often rigged to artificially raise prices with the intent of raising profits for the large energy corporations. It's impossible to separate the corporate world from the energy markets - they're one and the same.

• honestly we should all be building these ... they are incredibly efficient

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

• @robertGL

LOL. Nope, won't help.

Plus construction seems to be complex and very dangerous.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev they aren't applicable in all residencies and some probably don't like the aesthetics, but for those that are capable of building them the $$$ and material benefits are immense.. All houses using combustible heating should have a CO detector anyway