Personal View site logo
5DtoRGB for GH2 - advantages vs disadvantages?
  • 376 Replies sorted by
  • Would someone explain the procedure of 5D2RGB in combination with Sony Vegas, please?

After processing a GH2 video file with 5d2rgb the result is visible, but once placing it on Sony Vegas timeline, I see no any difference. I put both GH2 video file directly from the camera and the same video file processed with 5d2rgb in Sony Vegas and the both files look exactly the same, even switching to 32-bit Video in Vegas preferences.

• @producer

Isn't it supposed to look the same, or at least as similar as it can be to the original file? That transoded file is more robust and can be pushed much further in post than the original mts, but I'm sure that you are familiar with that so maybe I don't get what seems to be your problem. Did you transcode to full range, and now it looks crushed again?

• @inqb8tr

Well, why the transcoded file looks "flatter", but when placed in Vegas it looks like the raw one?

The settings I use are:

Avid DNxHD 90/115/120/145

ITU-R BT.709

1.8 (Flatter)

• Hi everyone, there's finally a way to Batch Automate 5DtoRGB for Windows users, for Gh2 files.

I asked Paolo Rudelli to recode his Batch Automation GUI software to deal with MTS and he very kindly did so. I haven't tested extensively but it works fine so far for my purposes. (And with 5DtoRGB1.5.6b you can encode 10bit Avid DNXHD 185x files which are really nice.)

This tool finally gives Windows users a proper highest-quality route for posting GH2 projects. Will test further and report back. It's at:

http://www.paolorudelli.com/5DtoRGB-Batch/

• i love u

thx bro

• Hello everyone, I just bought 5gtoRGB batch and used it to transcode footage of a 1.5 hour lecture, and I encountered a very strange problem with sync drift... Wondering if anyone has any insight?

Basically in some of my longer clips (2 out of 3) which are each approx 25:38 long the video drifts out of sync from the audio in my transcoded footage (I've checked the original .mts files and they are properly synced). I know that it's the video drifting out of sync and not the audio because I also recorded audio on an external recorder (at 48k) and the camera audio + external never go out of sync. The drift is very slight, only about 4 frames in one and 7 frames in the other, and I'm able to resolve it by changing speed slightly in FCP. However it does make me a bit nervous about being able to rely on 5DtoRGB in the future...

Some other info

• shooting on GH2 with stock FW 24H

• Until I used 5DtoRGB (was using FCP 7 log and transfer before) I had no idea that .mts files were broken up into different files after a certain length, but it seems like they are divided at around 25:38 though the precise length varies (25:39:04 in one, 25:38:13 in another, 25:37:09 in another). Additionally it seems that there are about 2 frames missing from spanning files... Never seen that before when doing log & transfer.

• As I mentioned, only two out of my three 25 minute clips have this drifting problem, but all 3 seem to have the same properties (23.976, 48k) post transcode. There are a number of shorter clips, but I can't tell if they have or don't have drift as I don't think they last long enough for it to show up.

• I've tried exporting in 5DtoRGB with output format at both 'source', '23.976' and '24'--source and 23.976 had the same drifting sync issue, 24 exported without audio (and was way further out of sync when I tried repairing it with an audio track)

Any help would be appreciated, would be great to figure out if i'm doing something wrong or there's a bug with the software...

• That would explain the sync issues I've encountered with on a couple of interviews I transcoded.

• @ beneufeld and GH3 users

beneufeld - Do you have FCPX as well as 7?

I tested 5DtoRGB and although it worked well in FCPX I found FCP7 taking forever to render. So here is my workaround allowing me to use FCP7.

1 - Import using FCPX (do not select "Create optimised media"). This re-wraps the file to a MOV.

2 - Import that data using iMovie (transcodes to apple intermediate codec)

3 - Move files and delete iMovie folders as required.

4 - Import to FCP7

Anyone else do this?

• @DMJB

Not sure what you mean by "FCP 7 taking forever to render" something from 5DtoRGB--what would need to be rendered after transcoding to prores?

But anyway does your workaround workflow preserve the quality of the original files? FCP 7 log and transfer seems to create lots of artifacts (especially around the color red). I would think FCP X and iMovie would have similar problems as I assume they're both quicktime based...

• hi! As i can see - this 5DtoRGB transcoding help to remove green shift which is always happens when you start recording. Am i right?

• @ beneufeld

I should have qualified my "Taking Forever" comment. Using the 5DtoRGB converted files did require rendering when adding filter (can't say which as I stopped using that workflow)

Using the work flow I stated above allowed for smaller files than 5DtoRGB and IMO worked better.

In step 4 - Import To FCP 7 is importing the parent folder where the mov files are - not using log and capture.

Hope that helps.

• hi,

Youtube converts the h.264 files into another colorrange (16-235).

In the result my colors looks like crap.

Is there any solution to avoid this?

My Workflow:

1. Convert GH2 MTS File (24/1080p/40min lang) via 5DtoRGB into Apple ProRes 422 HQ/Broadcast)

2. Resolve adjustments and convert as Quicktime Uncompressd 10 Bit YUV File.

3. cutting in Premiere Pro CS6 and export as h264 (Youtube Presets 1080p 23,9 b/s)

Please help !!!

• Hi everybody, One little question concerning those of you using 5Dto RGB with FCP7. I use 5dtorgb to get prores422 file from my mts film. I use a Gh2 with the redshift hack mostly in 1920x1080 at 24p. My settings in 5dtorgb are: prores422/ itu 709/full range/none. When I open it in FCP7 I have a message saying than that files are not well encoded for FCP. I can ignore this message and do my job in FCP7 without any problem. However Is it normal to get this message? Thanks for your help

• I believe you are 'supposed' to set for broadcast range, not full range. You are inviting some bitchiness from some posters here by not knowing this! Or maybe I am when someone decides to disagree. Try a test clip decoded this way.

As I understand it now, with full range you are just taking the broadcast range information and stretching it out beyond broadcast range. Or something like that.

• how big of a difference does the 601 vs 709 decoding matrix make? I recently transcoded a bunch of mts files into prores 422 using 601, and I'm wondering if it's worth it redo it? I edit in pp and grade in ae.

• @Alienhead I did some tests using all the decoded way: broadcast, full range, 601, 709... I always have the same message from FCP7 telling that I should recod it for better use in FCP7.

• @Bristo Sorry I don't know how you solve it but I'm sure there's something in one of these topics about FCP7 doing that and how you should deal with it. Or support from 5DtoRGB.

@mattyfein if you are going to do it the incorrect way you are better off not converting from MTS, which some argue you don't need to anyway in Premiere. If you keep the MTS files however you should use a levels control filter and reduce output controls to 15 and 235 so it recognizes its dealing with a reduced range.

• Hi, I just bought a gh2 and uses 5dtorgb to convert the files. But my result becomes not so good. Its lines in the picture when its moving but in the raw file its not there, So whats the problem?

/Antonjb

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 13.27.37.png
    1422 x 803 - 1M
  • @Antonjb

Your footage is interlaced, can you provide more details about your footage, what settings you used in camera and how you set up conversion in 5DtoRGB?

• @inqb8tr

Okey, I´ve heard about that. Gear: gh2 hacked high bitrate, sandisk extreme pro 64 95mbps My 5dtorgb settings: see picture

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 16.51.58.png
    516 x 466 - 57K
  • Hi, in my workflow i convert my gh2 mts files with 5dtorgb to Apple ProRes 422 HQ/Broadcast and rendering it out of resolve as Quicktime Uncompressd 10 Bit YUV File. Then i do my last changes in timeline with adobe premiere cc and render it as h264. After uploading it on youtube i get a strange color change in the reds (to magenta).

The guy who can tell me how i can fix this will get 20$ as a littl gift (paypal).

Thanx 4 your help.

Jacke.jpg
    741 x 391 - 245K
  • @Antonjb You probably had your GH2 configured to recording in 1080i. The problem is in your camera setup.

• @Antonjb

I tried to replicate your settings, and I got normal progressive footage without scan lines.

In camera there are no other settings for frame rate or anything once you enter HBR mode, so I'm not sure what happens there.

Could you upload original MTS file somewhere, and post a link for download?

• @elsalvador

After uploading it to Youtube you get color shift, am I right? So original h264 file that you actually upload is ok?

What kind of monitor do you have? What player and browser do you use?

• @elsalvador

Many people here will try to help you, no need for gifts.

On the top of the page you'll see donate button, so if you're in the mood go there and support the site!