Personal View site logo
DJI Phantom Quadcopter Crash - Midtown Manhattan
  • A Phantom QC crashed on the sidewalk 41st between Park and Madison today, Monday September 30, 2013 at 6:23pm.

It landed less than 10 feet from my head with enough force to destroy the GoPro case and the GP3 inside. I'm sure I'm not the only person who was walking in the area with a wife and young children, but I was the closest.

I have the card from the camera. The image below was taken from a file on it created on September 25th where it looks like the copter was tested from a rooftop in either Queens or Brooklyn. The file from today's flight was corrupted due to the sudden stop, but I will get it fixed and make sure the authorities have it.

I'm about to read a bedtime story to my kids, but without a bit of luck I could be sitting in the ER never knowing them again.

Shit like this ruins it for the rest of us. This post is a reminder to be smart with our toys.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Video file repaired. Looks like they were flying 30+ stories up, bumping into buildings, etc. Same dude as first clip with a couple girls helping. You can make out everyone, including details of the apt the left from.

For those curious: 1080 30p 29mbps

Will post file later...

• Glad no one was hurt. I can understand your shock. Sounds like they were being very reckless. Looks like he is a Michael Jackson fan too.

• ...and has a couple attractive friends. looks like this event isn't over.

• These things are not easy to control without a fair amount of practice. I know there's a lot of new technology in them that makes it easier, but even with that, flying around populated areas like this, especially with buildings is crazy dangerous. Be smart people! Fly in open areas!

• You have a better chance of getting shot or mugged in NYC then getting hit with a drone!

• Right near my office. With my luck and propensity for hitting my head on things, glad I was out in NJ on a shoot!