Personal View site logo
Atomos Ninja 2 external recording box
  • hi there, if this is in the wrong place, please can someone move it to the right section of the forum.

ok, i am in the process of upgrading camera's, either to a Sony VG900 or Panny AG-AC90 but still debating which one, based on built in features, additional features available, recording formats, and of coarse, price :)

i currently shoot video on my 2 cams in 1080/50p avchd mode, and i never use a tripod, all my video is shot freestyle using one of my own custom made hand held rigs (see my new thread in the Rig section) and my essential requirements for a video camera are (1) very good Image Stabilization and (2) very good Auto Focus system, they are an absolute must for me and my shooting style.

so with that said, these 2 cams are poles apart in those 2 requirements, because the VG900 has no onboard IS or AF it relies entirely on the selected lens for these options, where the AC90 has both on board.

the VG900 is 35mm full frame interchangeable lens where the AC90 has a much smaller sensor and a fixed lens (albeit a pretty good one i believe)

both shoot avchd @ 28Mbps and basically very similar to each other in every other detail, except cost, where the VG900 body alone is $3200 and i can buy a complete AC90 for $1800 and not buy any lenses, making it a very tempting avchd camera.

here is the interesting bit, i also had a desire to find a traditional type video camera that was also able to shoot/record in ProRes HQ or 422 mode at a very high bitrate (180 to 220Mbps) but there appears to be none out there, that was until i just found the following youtube video from a guy who shows a comparison between video shot on a Canon 5Dmk3 and a sony VG900 camera, however he shot/recorded the video on both camera's in ProRes 422 @ 220Mbps, and here i was wondering how he could record ProRes video on the VG900 when it only shoots AVCHD @ 28Mbps.

i just love the video from the VG900 in this clip, i know its youtube, but i personally think it puts the 5D to shame given all the hype some people put on that camera, and i would love to see the video clips straight from these 2 camera's.

i would also love to see video shot with an AC90 camera in this ProRes format, and compare it to the same video from the VG900.....

i then found out how, he used an Atomos Ninja 2 external hdmi recording device that takes the image from the camera's sensor, bypassing the built in avchd compression system, and records it in ProRes HQ or 422, and apparently it can also record in Avid DNxHD as well (not sure what bitrate)

http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/28401/atomos-ninja-2-portable-10-bit-field-recorder-educational-version-atomnja003edu.html?gclid=CLmAsJj-2bkCFYYwpAodqGQAJQ

so here i am again, seeking some more information, this time about this rather intriguing Ninja 2 recording device, which if it turns out to be as good as some seem to suggest, just may help me overcome my dilema in having to pick my next camera, where i have the choice of a traditional style AVCHD video cam that i prefer to use, and for around $650 i also get to have a portable ProRes recording system that i can use on any other video camera that has built in hdmi.

it also acts as an extended battery power supply for the camera (ships with 2 long life batteries) and it can be used as a preview screen as well, given it is about 4.5" in size (not sure of its quality tho)

can i please ask if there is anyone out there who may have one of these, know of anyone who has one, or can offer any thoughts on these Ninja 2 devices, or offer suggestions for other such recording devices.

the downside to this device for me is that it only records 1080p @ up to 30fps or 720p @ 50/60fps where i shoot always in 1080/50p mode on my current avchd cams, but this is not a problem, i just may decide to start shooting in 24p mode instead while shooting ProRes video.

any help/advice is much appreciated.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • oh, thanks a lot Vitaliy, i looked around but somehow missed it.

need to go take a look, i am very keen to learn more about these devices.

cheers.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions