Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • i personally refuse to give in to this attitude of acceptance that we should deal with these major issues ! NO FUCKING WAY the bmcc does not exhibit these major yes MAJOR issues.... it doesn't meet my expectation and the promises i feel BMD made, simple as. i honestly dont understand why anyone would try to convince me its not a big deal or that i am being silly , how the fuck do you know?! do you shoot what i shoot ? do you know my concerns and do you know my goals?! no . for me it is an issue . for me it is unacceptable. end of.

• I found this GH3 vs BMPCC I hope it hasn't been posted

• No probs boss :)

• @test1 @stip

use PM, it is not personal chat here.

@test1

Stop the flame.

• no lecture none intended or offered , why you even answering? advice on life - well… up to you hombre! As far as lecturing - hence the point ? Didn't get the point ?

• if it is not functioning as described then return it and get your money back. Simple as that.

if you dont like it dont buy it

thanks, it's the first time someone is lecturing me this. Maybe you also have some advice on how to live my life?

• lots of pixel waddlers afoot - have series comissioned - really like to hear from UK broadcast interaction with BM and end game acceptance?

• if you dont like it dont buy it… move on it's only a camera? no need to come back and post how shit its bloom is?

• stip : " It's starting to get ugly. "

You bought an electronic device, if it is not functioning as described then return it and get your money back. Simple as that.

• ... and "re-calibration" will happen after IBC which is too late for most people who have already one to send it back for 30-days-money-back-garantee.

• Oh boy. Is going to be a blood bath over there!!!!!

• It's starting to get ugly.

It seems BMD briefed their staff worldwide to never call the blooming issue an issue, defect or fault, to be on the safe side legally. They told several guys who wanted to send their Pocket in for recalibration that it will be a courtesy and that the camera is not defect - they repeatedly mentioned that.

That means that they might send you your Pocket back, not having fixed the issue to your satisfaction or at all, without being legally bound to further look into it or pay shipping ect.

Everyone who has or gets a Pocket and wants to send it in, make clear that it's a camera fault everytime you communicate with them.

I believe they are trying to fix the issue, just make sure to adress this as a camera fault.

• The pointy star thingy isn't the problem. Take a look at footage from the Red Epic on House of Cards and you will see starry orbs coming off night lights as well. The problem is on the pocket cam these areas are sometimes orbs and sometimes ill defined blobs that bleed over into surrounding pixels and eat into the surrounding image giving a blooming effect when localized to the background image, but looking more like pac man when eating into foreground images.

• @theconformist

There was a comparison picture posted between a pocket cam and another BM camera. It was the exact same thing and the biggest difference was the spikes on the circular orbs. I have seen it in almost every piece of footage that has been presented.

My point is that people don't see the extra dynamic range. They definitely will see the strange, pointy, star like, white orb, thingy though.

• @theconformist help me...what do you want here?

• @mpgxsvcd Huh? The "blooming" does not present itself as "stars" but as circular orbs. It's not the audience's job to determine whether the footage needed more dynamic range - it's the editors, because more dynamic range enables them to do more precise color correction & grading.

• All cameras have issues. Just finished editing a project with 4 different cameras (from cheap to quite expensive ones, w. interchangeable lenses - not going to bother count them all here) and all displayed a variety of different digital symptoms from aliasing to moire and really bad noise and color / shadow / highlight response. Not to mention very sticky / poor encoders / bad scaling..

bmcc (one of the cams) was by far the nicest although not without issues either.

Bottomline is: genuinely pristine footage comes at a price that cannot be compared to cams between 0-10k. All have flaws and are not great for everything.

The pocket cam, just like the bmcc, looks pretty darn good. It may or may not be usable in some contexts. Take it or leave it.

• @jakepowell personally I do not feel the "blooming" is that big of a deal - choose your shots carefully. to claim it makes the camera useless... i don't mean to offend but that's silly. the next cheapest option (BMCC) will cost you over $3k (not including lenses, rig, etc). essentially the Pocket (as far as I've seen) doesn't allow you to shoot in cities at night without "blooming", which only other cinematographers even notice.

@itimjim Blackmagic Design's behavior regarding the sensor, the delay on shipping, updates, etc is appalling. They came out and made some BIG claims, and now they've disappeared and refuse to offer useful information to their customers. That being said - again - it is unwise to expect (at least) $3k worth of capabilities for $1k without issues. If you would rather have limited DR and more noise over the trade-offs then keep your GH3 or whatever you have.

The bottom line is that what Blackmagic claimed (or what people believed they were claiming) - a fully-functional, revolutionary camera for $1k offering 13 stops or DR, etc, etc... seems to have been too good to be true. The reality of the camera's abilities and trade-offs make it "better or worse" than other options based solely on the user's priorities and value judgments.

• How many of you are willing to trade a noticeable defect in the footage for a claimed extra few stops of dynamic range?

That just sounds so backwards to me. Even a novice user will ask “What are those white stars from?”. I guarantee no one will ever say “You have 13 stops of dynamic range instead of 14 stops. I can see it”.

Some people complain about infinitesimal differences in bit rate and yet they seem to be perfectly willing to accept glaring artifacts in their footage.

I can tell you this much. If you present your work with those white Orbs they are going to think that you used some built-in star filter and just dismiss your footage all-together. You can actually produce a similar affect with the GH3 and its built-in “Glistening Water” or “Glittering Illuminations” modes.

Maybe this can fixed with a firmware change. If Panasonic can implement this with software maybe BM can take it out with a software change.

Sometimes we get caught up on one specific thing and we totally forget what is really important. If no one else would ever notice that your footage needs more dynamic range why would you put in artifacts that everyone will notice?

I can’t fathom why anyone would buy this camera after seeing these issues unless they were absolutely sure they had been fixed. The statement that BM issued is far from assuring that these issues have been resolved.

I really hope that BM sorts this out. I think they are pushing the envelope and that is good for competition. However, in this case it appears that they pushed the pen knife right through the envelope and the check inside. This camera was still-born as far as I am concerned.

• The blooming and "black dot" issue are problems, but given the camera's price point, they really need to be looked at simply as limitations of the camera.

Don't accept this. Limitation is a cheap display, missing audio meters, restriction nowadays to 25/30p - but not this bad image quality.

• 13 stops. Death in Venice.

• I agree @itimjim . Hoping they can shift calibration slightly toward blacks to reign in that highlight clipping and smooth the roll off without losing much shadow detail. A little noise is not the end of the world.

• @theconformist

Normally during testing, defects are graded from critical to acceptable. At any price point, if a defect is critical, i.e. not fit for purpose then the defect needs fixing. Now I realise that defect grading is subjective, but it's plainly obvious that sensor blooming like this is critical.

I would rather have limited DR and more noise than this defect.

• @theconformist i agree to an extent that people should accept some trade off's that are inevitable and expected like short battery life, formatting and deleting clips etc... these are gripes and minor irritations, design choices some of them even. but the blooming sensor white orbs is a real issue. we shouldn't have to put up with issues like that which in my eyes make a camera pretty useless. i think BM need to be more transparent with us that the first batch is beta testing. or better still take the bloody time to conduct proper tests themselves! i still like BM and i think most people do to , their rocking the boat and people respect them for that and some really great achievements they have made like the BMCC . however i think this contributes and aggravates the issue further - we like them and don't want to think of them as greedy bad companies like the P , C and S words so when they disappoint its just that much more disappointing! transparency. some work on PR and a bit more care are needed to stop this downward spiral BMD seem to be on ..... do not fuck up the 4k!

• Yep, cancelled. Sorry to everyone that was in line to buy my BMPCC. I didn't want to deal with any hassles. Buying another BMCC mft for $1999. Selling the copy of Vegas for $200. Just sold my first copy for that, then I'll sell Resolve for at least $500 easily and then the handles for another $100 which I already have with my first pair.