Personal View site logo
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • I assume they will stay dedicated to MFT. For me more dynamic range and pro res and maybe the ability to shoot raw via a external extra device or via hdmi out as well as even better stills and i will def be rocking a GH5 x Blackmagic Pocket kit. (or hacked GH3 if they never ship and the hack is epic like GH2s)

• @GravitateMediaGroup I don't have G6 yet.

@RRRR True. Maybe 2015... the Pana-Fuji organic sensor would be exciting.

• @RRRR Are you talking about a specific upcoming model or just in general?

• Axis for the G5 :)

• @stonebat

Yeah, that would be nice to see, I really like the look of the stills the Fuji´s are producing. There´s no cam out there that produces as pleasing grain on 1:1 pixel level.. But the video is not good, so far. Maybe further on we´ll see advanced video properties as well as stills capabilities that leaves no more to desire; wether it´s from Panny, Fuji or both.

@QuickHitRecord

Well, I´d be prepared to go with any cam in the line if I could have some decent video properties with it. Perfect "bag-cam". I´d expect the x-e2 to be the most likely candidate in terms of size and development though.

• We're almost 3/4 of the way through 2013. How accurate has this roadmap been so far?

• Seems that it hasn´t been really accurate. It looks like a decent guess rather than exact timings.

• E-M1 expected retail price is $1500. GH5 is likely cost more. 1600? 1700? 1800?

• my GH5 wish list:

• huge viewfinder
    • up to 200 mbps in mov
    • raw recording
    • cleaner noise at high iso
    • mar sensor
    • ibis

Or those companies don't know how to make money.... ;P

• GH5 wishlist:-

• 4k at 50/60p with various bitrate options
    • 2k at 120p with various bitrate options
    • ETC mode works at 50/60p and is zoomable whilst recording (dream on)
    • 13 stops of DR
    • Hotshoe that wont break ;)

I would pay $2500 for that in a GH3 style of body.

• @rlima; what is mar sensor?

• Here's my guess of what we'll actually get in GH5 (the fourth camera in series) if release is in late 2013 or early 2014 and the price point is same as GH3:

• all the improvements from G6 and GX7
    • 1080p much like in GH3, perhaps in some variety of high bit depth AVC-Intra
    • maybe 1080p 120fps in highly compressed format
    • most likely no 4k - if it gets included, it'll be no faster than 24/25p and highly compressed
    • wild guess: no PAL/NTSC restriction

I don't think there will be raw video or ProRes. At best, they will be reserved for some variant of cinema-type micro four thirds camera that'll cost at least $5000.

• •most likely no 4k - if it gets included, it'll be no faster than 24/25p and highly compressed

Next GH will have 4K :-)

• Wait a minute... I thought the gh cams have a two year cycle?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev wow,thats great news, can we assume with 4k we get 120fps and better DR?

• @Manu4Vendetta mar=multi aspect ratio

• No, no the japs will never use 4(shi)K. It will prolly be 5K ;)

• im still dubious as to whether the gh line will be refreshed this year i think next year is when we will see gh5 tbh and also 4k ? really next gh? maybe, but only a really shitty 8bit mjpeg like in 1dc i would rather have 10 or 12 bit 1080p / 2k ....

• I have been told that a new Panasonic GHx will be announced in April 2014 and will sit above the GH3 (i.e. will not replace it).

• 4k for sure. 48fps?

1080p120 would be nice.

5-axis IS for photo and video.

Bayer filter removal.

Yeah bring back mar sensor!!!

• You know what would also be great? A hotshoe that stays on, a EVF that works and OLED screen that doesn't come loose... Oh, and 4K :)

• Funny, I've read so many posters complain about the hotshoe, but mine is rock-solid. I also think the EVF is fine, but since I wear glasses, I really have to make an effort to keep my eye firmly pressed against the eyecup to see the whole frame. I've also read about users who claim the memory card door pops open all the time, but mine requires considerable force to open. My biggest beef might be the tiny buttons that are hard to press, especially the play button, and it is too easy to change the exposure inadvertently by accidentally moving the thumbwheel at the back of the camera. As far as the setting info disappearing every ten seconds, I just hit the shutter release halfway when I need to check the mic levels. I do wish I could use focus assist while shooting, however. Overall though, I think there are too many whiners over what is essentially an excellent video camera. Great battery life and beautiful color rendition.

• @jonpaos you are lucky to even have an eyecup, mine come off on a gig during the weekend! . Since owning the gh1 and 2 plus the g6. The 3's build has been the shittest. I just hope they don't cock it up the gh5. That's all.

• Better codec & better DR. That's all I need!

• @azza_act I'm trying to even imagine how the eyecup could come off... again, I've taken mine off a couple of times to clean the viewfinder, but... Could you describe exactly how it came off? In other words, the rubber cup became detached from the plastic mount, or what??? This is too bizarre for me...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions