Personal View site logo
Birger Mount for AF100 (and GH2)
  • In about two weeks, they plan to start to ship the first produktion run of 1000 units of their Canon EF mount adapter.

here is the newsletter:

At NAB Birger demonstrated functioning concept models of a new lens mount system for both the Sony NEX-FS100 and the Panasonic AF-100 cameras.  These concept systems demonstrated electronic control of the focus and iris on Canon EF-mount lenses.  This email is an update on those products specifically for the Broadcast market.  Updates for the Industrial and Scientific; and Military, Security and Surveillance markets will be coming in the near future.

The AF-100 version of the product will come first, followed soon after by the Sony PMW-F3, Sony NEX-FS100 and the Arri Alexa.  As we did the initial work for these cameras, it became clear that we needed to make some changes to our new generation of lens control platform, to economically develop and manufacture these additional variants.  

It became clear from our conversations at NAB that an economical (and unobtrusive) wireless solution was important.  We will be coming out with a hot-shoe mounted radio receiver (approximately 30mm cube) that will not require a separate power connection or battery, to remain powered from the lens mount, even during lens changes.  Fortunately we realized the importance of this module prior to releasing the first adapters, as it would not have been possible without some small changes.

This talk of change generally raises questions of price and schedule.  While we are adding significant flexibility to the system, I am happy to say there will be negative effect on price.  We are finalizing some of the design and manufacturing issues to get ready for a volume release of the AF-100 EF-mount Adapter, and when we have the last details worked through, we will announce that we are ready to begin full scale production.  At this point we will first show the final version of the product, announce the dealers, and be about two weeks away from volume shipments.

Those that have expressed (and wish to express) interest in selling our products should know that we feel it most important to attend to the product related issues first.  We will be releasing more information on the dealer program, contracts and a closing date for orders for the initial production build in the next few weeks.  We will not be accepting any deposits, orders or payments until the product is ready for production - and we have done a public demonstration.  All orders at that point will require prepayment, so we can fairly allocate inventory worldwide.  We are planning an initial build of 1000 units for the AF100/EF product.

We have an active beta program for the AF100 and the FS100 products, and have been floating hardware on some very large (and some not so large) productions.  This has offerred us invaluable ergonomic information on the forth coming remotes, as well as access to footage and real world testing.  In the coming weeks we expect to be able to talk about prductions using both the AF100 and FS100 focus systems.

We are excited for the future of Birger in the Broadcast industry.  We are even more excited to get this product released in the short term.  There is no one that wants these new products out in the field more than I do.

Regards,
    Erik.

---
    Erik Widding
    President
    Birger Engineering, Inc.

(mail) 38 Chauncy St #1101; Boston, MA 02111
    (voice) 617.695.9233 x207
     (fax) 617.695.9234
     (web) http://www.birger.com

• 20 Replies sorted by
  • @Alex

What is this?
    I believe that this is not a place for press releases.
    We welcome all manufacturers, but only telling about their products by normal words, not advertisement, open selling, press releases, and they must behave as normal members, of course.

May be I just do not understand something here?
  • sorry for just posting the "raw" newsletter.

this is an adapter for Canon EF mount optics with full aperture, auto focus and images stabilization support. It works on the GH2 and GH1. I think this is quite exiting for people how have expensive EF glass and would like to use it together with the GH2.

Here an interview Dan Chung did with Erik Widding from Birger at NAB. The GH1/GH2 compatibility is mentioned around 13:13:

• I know that this is :-)

@Alex - are you affilated with them?

I think that this letter is quite similar to recent electronic EVF story.
    Company can't produce product and know that they are loosing customers.
  • no, I'm not affiliated with Birger.
    I really hope that this is not vaporware. I know that they had a delay with their MFT adapter.
  • @Alex

Thanks for explanation.

I think that we'll leave this topic as many people are interested in such product.

But next time just provide your comment and link, ok?

If you ask me - I think that Birger is overdesigned product.
    People only need two things - aperture change and ability to turn on OIS.
  • +1. We know AF is going to be sluggish.
  • right, AF is also least important to me. I use the Panasonic 14-140 lens a lot and even with that lens that has a supposedly good AF I never use it for shooting video ...

I only have 4 lenses that would make sens with such an adapter:

Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 with OS (EUR 600,-)
    Sigma Circular Fisheye 4.5mm f2.8 (EUR 700,-)
    Sigma 30mm f1.4 (EUR 400,-)
    Tamron 11-16mm f2.8 (EUR 600,-)

I do have to produce footage (time laps) for dome projections and I found the combination GH2 + Sigma 4,5 Fisheye very useful. This lens is also a fantastic wide and fast 1:1 crop mode lens. Since I'm not a lucky Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS owner, it could make sens to just buy another Sigma 4,5 fisheye with Nikon mount.

How good dose the aperture control of those Nikon F mount adapters with aperture ring work in real world shooting conditions? does anybody has experience with it?

• >How good dose the aperture control of those Nikon F mount adapters with aperture ring work in real world shooting conditions? does anybody has experience with it?

It works. After some expirience :-)
    Despite that I am not best audience to ask, as I setup it and leave it at this setting for long periods :-)
    Plus different adapters are slightly different in implementation as I see.
  • This is an exciting product, but this is really for those who already have EF lenses.

Canon L lenses have great value and high liquidity. But little chance for me to buy the adapter and L lenses. Canon EF 2.8 L zooms are 16-35,24-70 and 70-200. 16-35 is a tad bit not wide enough on m43 system. 24-70 is not long enough. Both missing O.I.S. Usually 3rd party EF makers make Nikon versions, too. F mounted lenses are easier to adapt to other mirrorless systems.

The adapter feels like Atomos Ninja. So much buzz for a while. Ninja finally out. Not many talking about it.
  • >The adapter feels like Atomos Ninja. So much buzz for a while. Ninja finally out. Not many talking about it.

It is all ok with Ninja.
    Many people always are glad to talk about advantages of lossless or near lossless formats, but most of them do not have any real intention to work with it.
  • +1. Lossless sounds great, but that expands the size of file too much... and the disk accessing speed becomes bottleneck unless one gets a fast RAID disk array... hardware driven... expensive setup.

This adapter may follow the same path. There are many Canon L owners. But how many wanna use them on m43 system? How many m43 owners wanna buy Canon L lenses just because of the adapter? For what? Wireless FF? Who cares. There's the great $399 FF that works with all lenses.
  • >This adapter may follow the same path. There are many Canon L owners. But how many wanna use them on m43 system? How many m43 owners wanna buy Canon L lenses just because of the adapter? For what? Wireless FF? Who cares

Exactly.
    This reminds me of excellent paper about canculating probability to meet other species like us. While you have billions and billions of possible stars and planets, this numbers quickly waporise is you start to apply simple probability rule and multiple no so small numbers like 0.1*0.0001*0.01*....*0.2 that results in simple fact that we could be fucking alone in this universe.
  • You know... there are reasons why Canon is #1, Nikon is #2, and Panasonic is... a way down. I thought L lenses were crazy expensive. Not anymore after seeing m43 conundrum. We know Canon EF lenses work best in EF mount bodies. If I have the money to buy the adapter, I will get a Canon body. Gawd... I had to say it...
  • >Not anymore after seeing m43 conundrum

And problem with Panasonic lenses that among m43 lenses we really do not have real complete gems, may be except 0.95 25mm, ouch shit, it is Nokton by Cosina, forgot that.
    20mm 1.7 is fine and 7-14mm is fine, but this by wire focus, and build quality is not even up to Tokina standards. I also know about 14-45mm, first dream lens of every seller that allow you to make 200% on lens, selling body and lens separate (I think that 14-140mm came here second :-) ).
  • Out of all these great m43 adapters and legendary lenses from non-m43, I just need a few great m43 lenses. But where are such great lenses? Some began predicting death of m43 system. If m43 system dies today, does it really matter? COBOL is practically dead for decades, but lots of people still do COBOL coding.

I think 7-14, 14-140, 20.7 are the best m43 lenses. The upcoming 25.4 is expected to have Leicasonic high quality. Niche player, low liquidity, and high margin. Sure enthusiasts luv m43 bodies and lenses. A way cheaper than Leica bodies and lenses. But I don't need expensive toys. Just a working affordable set.

The only good thing about GH1 was GH13. Prolly the only good thing about GH2 would be GH23. Without GH13 in the first place, I would have ditched m43 format. BTW why did you pick GH1 in the first place? Just a coincidence?
  • Any chance Birger will be making such adapters for other mounts. Eg Pentax?
  • >Any chance Birger will be making such adapters for other mounts. Eg Pentax?

No. As they couldn't sell them.
    You can change aperture on Nikon and Pentax glass without such adapter.
    And Pentax glass do not have OIS even (only few VC and OS glass from Tamron and Sigma).

Looks like it is their shit. Very pricey.

http://www.lensadaptor.com/mtf-effect-control-unit

control.jpg
    620 x 620 - 77K
  • Expensive indeed! They will have a hard time selling their product to e-mount users. Metabones adapter is 399 usd.. I wonder if Metabones will make one for m43 mount also?

• I emailed metabones and they expect to have an eos-m43 adapter out Q2 2012