Personal View site logo
sorry but having a hard time hacking Gh2 to moon t5
  • I did everything like i was told in the instructions...

1. I put everything in the same "hack" folder. Including the setd.ini file for "moon t5" hack
    2. I opened ptools
    3. loaded firmware that i got from Panasonic website
    4. click green letter (i think it was "D")
    5. save as "GH2__V12" (old firmware was called GH2__V11)
    6. Put knew firmware in sd card
    7. load in fully charged camera
    8. hit play and it updated to the new one.... and that's it.

But the file size still seems small to me even though my time got shorter. I'm using 16gb 95mb/s SD extreme Pro card. Which gave a 13 minutes and 48 seconds recording time when camera is set to 24P CINEMA (24H).

a 10 second clip came out to 52mb in size. Then i imported the MTS file into Premiere CS5 and looked up the properties of the native clip and this is what i got:

File Path: /Volumes/NO NAME/PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM/00000.MTS Type: MPEG Movie File Size: 50.3 MB Image Size: 1920 x 1080 Pixel Depth: 32 Frame Rate: 23.976 Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo Total Duration: 00:00:09:22 Average Data Rate: 5.1 MB / second Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Then I also imported it into VLC and got this (check attached pics)

I don't know what else to do. I know nothing about this but i'm trying to learn. It's hard when i don't have a PC and i'm always working (wine doesn't work on my mac). I've attached another link to download a 10 second MTS file. I hope I gave you guys enough info to help me out.

Download link http://we.tl/OtuyqtkhLV

THanks,

MadMAx

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • @madmax

Looks like you are doing everything right but I have a couple of suggestions.

Download SD Card Formatter = https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Format your card with this program so that there is nothing on the card prior installing the Moon T-5, you can use the quick format option.

I have included some snapshots so that you can verify that the patch was actually loaded. But all you should have to do is click on D and it should say settings loaded. If you want to confirm that the patch is loaded, double click on the patches for end users, click on AVCHD Compression, then click on Video Bitrate 24H. The bitrate should show 150000000 for 24H if the setting is loaded.

The next step is to click on Version Increment at the very top of PTool and then change the value from 1 to 01 then save the firmware as GH2__V12 in the same folder.

This is what I do to load the patches and I have not experienced any problems at all. I hope this helps :)

Best Regards

1.png
    377 x 625 - 32K
    2.png
    380 x 627 - 46K
    3.png
    377 x 626 - 43K
    4.png
    378 x 626 - 46K
    5.png
    422 x 890 - 104K
    6.png
    799 x 523 - 66K
  • Hey @Azo

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I've tried every step you've suggested but seem to still have the same results. Can you tell me averagely how big a 10 second MTS file usually average around to be? Or how else can I confirm that it was successfully hacked after updating the new version in the camera during post? Maybe i should re-download the ini file for moon t5? or a different hack? i heard moon t5 is the most reliable with little to no errors. Intercutting footage with red epic.

Files (55.2 MB total, 10 sec) 00000.MTS Download link http://we.tl/Qk9JO1Z9u1

• so after switching to moon t7... the file size doubled for a 10 second mts clip (113.9mb). Mybe something was just wrong with the moon t5 ini file or something.... looks like it's working....

• @madmax

Don't worry :) your camera is hacked with the awesome Moon T-5 patch. Here are some images that show the bitrates. Moon T-5 is really an awesome patch because it basically only consumes what it needs as far as bitrate. So if the scene is very demanding then you will see a spike in the bitrate, if it is not then you will see a fairly moderate bitrate.

Best Regards

bitrate1.png
    2415 x 1141 - 1M
    bitrate 2.png
    1924 x 1141 - 1M