Personal View site logo
Steve Ballmer stepping down
  • Microsoft Corp. today announced that Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer has decided to retire as CEO within the next 12 months, upon the completion of a process to choose his successor. In the meantime, Ballmer will continue as CEO and will lead Microsoft through the next steps of its transformation to a devices and services company that empowers people for the activities they value most.

"There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time," Ballmer said. "We have embarked on a new strategy with a new organization and we have an amazing Senior Leadership Team. My original thoughts on timing would have had my retirement happen in the middle of our company's transformation to a devices and services company. We need a CEO who will be here longer term for this new direction."

The Board of Directors has appointed a special committee to direct the process. This committee is chaired by John Thompson, the board's lead independent director, and includes Chairman of the Board Bill Gates, Chairman of the Audit Committee Chuck Noski and Chairman of the Compensation Committee Steve Luczo. The special committee is working with Heidrick & Struggles International Inc., a leading executive recruiting firm, and will consider both external and internal candidates.

Hmm...

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Steve hasn't cracked the devices market. After the near $1bn write down of Surface, they need somebody else to crack that market. He got services and Office 365 and Skype acquisition will be his legacy, just won't be very well publicly remembered.

He's done some great stuff. But some questionable and wrong stuff too.

• After the near $1bn write down of Surface, they need somebody else to crack that market.

It is not really his fault. As price for Surface had been really dictated by Microsoft hardware partners.

Same partners want to treat Windows tablets as premium products and refuce to drop prices.

• A lot could still happen in a year. Microsoft has some fantastic technology. I hope they can bring it to market in a compelling way.

• Let's all vote for VK to take over M$oft. I bet he could turn their fortunes around. :)

• It is his fault. I know what you're saying, but he brought a product to market and want able to wrestle the suppliers on cost and failed to market properly and gain traction. His watch, his fault... As much as I actually like what he's done.

• There are plenty of orangutans that love playing with tablets. Potential market for stockpiled Surfaces? Oh, wait. Orangutans only like ipads!

http://www.cultofmac.com/211583/orangutans-at-the-the-smithsonian-national-zoo-use-ipads-and-love-them/

• I know what you're saying, but he brought a product to market and want able to wrestle the suppliers on cost and failed to market properly and gain traction.

He did not wrestle partners, as big income come from them for preinstalled Windows and Office packages.

In fact, all Windows RT fault come from fear of Samsung, Acer, Asus, etc that it could cut their margins.

• Time to break up Microsoft into smaller companies.

• Time to break up Microsoft into smaller companies.

LOL. They'll most probably eat many companies instead.

• @goanna

Thanks for those charts. Assuming they are true, some random thoughts:

Finally Linux and it derivatives rule the world?

I don't know which is more evil. A paid for monopoly or an unpaid one.

I see Linux in its true form getting outnumbered. Is Android the most corrupted form of Linux now, thanks to Google?

Will Android be remembered as a secure than Windows platform that is most likely to compromise you the person as opposed to the machine/device that you are using compared to Windows OS which is more likely to affect the machine/device?

• @stonebat has it right on. Msoft is only one big company to feed Balmer's ego. I've been working with their tech for 20+ years. Office has not improved, even gotten worse, if you can believe it. In the beginning, they acquired half-baked products and brought them to market. Was okay when things were new, hot. Their M.O. has always been rushing things out half-baked. Msoft is now the cluster-f of all companies. Apple didn't beat them, Msoft lost the market by NEVER taking viruses seriously. All their products now are even more half-baked than before. Or, take Windows 8. Who wants that touch screen to start up? It's jaw-dropping, can't believe it, stupidity. Google was smart in imitating the best things about the iOS. Msoft just designed something completely new, too fast, without checking that people might like it. I don't. Msoft execs are SO rich and full of themselves, you have no idea. They live in a bubble of their own self-importance. Eventually, capitalism will do the one thing it's good at, tear them apart. I wish it would happen tomorrow so the people at the Office company would improve Office instead of putting in the least amount of investment and just milking it for other stuff other companies do better and always will. (sorry for the rant!). The only thing Msoft has done well, IMHO, is .NET.

• Approximately 4 -6 million unsold Surface tablets:

Microsoft's Surface RT Didn't Have To Be A $900 Million Disaster

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/19/microsoft-surface-rt-900-million_n_3624014.html