Personal View site logo
Tascam DR-680 topic
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • @DrDave

I concur with your assesment. Basically not worth it for the upgrade :( If I have some time I may conduct another test in a quite carpet covered room just to see if that makes a difference. I don't think it will but I will try it anyway. My conclusion is that for what this recorder is intended for there is no discernible difference in sound quality between the regular preamps and the Busman Audio preamps so it is not worth the extra coin for the upgrade :(

Oh well, I hope this test helpful for anyone else thinking about the upgrade...

Best regards

• @Azo I listened to the files, I measured no difference in the noise, " CAD A" was one dB quieter than "CAD B" but that is well within the margin of error, and if you move the mic and inch or two it will create a difference of one or two dB; that doesn't mean that the circuit is not quieter, it just means that most of these stats are below the noise floor--that is, you would never hear the difference in the noise in actual use. I have a slight preference for "A" , both the Sennheiser and the CAD, but I really could not hear a big difference. Sennheiser B had a slightly lower noise floor, but again within the margin of error. You can try the key jingle test--take some keys and jingle them to hear a difference in the transient response, but unless you are recording keys (as we do sometimes) it is going to be a small difference.

• The Tascam has very high quality sound, the only thing is it is not built like a tank, so get a case for it, and take it out if the case in a warm environment.

• @luxis

The reviews seem pretty positive in regard to the Zoom H6 preamps. The other added benefit of the Zoom H6 is the battery life, from what I read it seems like it will last longer then the Tascam DR680. If I didn't have the Zoom H4N and could only purchase one sound recorder I would still pick the Tascam DR680. IMO the Tascam DR680 looks more professional then the Zoom H6 so this might help with clients as well, my understanding is that Zoom H6 is just about the same size as the Tascam DR680. I have attached a picture of my Tascam DR680 with the case that is made specifically for the Tascam DR680. So hope fully you can get an idea of the size of the DR680 in comparison to the Zoom H6.

Best Regards

tascam_dr680_h4N_b.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    tascam_dr680_h4N_a.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • On a side note considering the 6 tracks, how would this compare to the zoom h6(plus the extra 2xlr) or are we in a different "class" regarding the noise floor.What do you think? The h6 is definitely smaller though

I suggest to check H6 topic :-) It has various shortcomings.

• Damn I wish I would have bought one of those two on amazon when V first mentioned it! I look at me DR40 in disgust now. "Oh you dirty, noisy little recorder"

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @Azo Thanks will check the evilbay ;) Oh and I use Pro Tools so I guess I will be cool for the customs! ;) Azo thanks for your testing, will give it a listen tomorrow with morning fresh ears.

On a side note considering the 6 tracks, how would this compare to the zoom h6(plus the extra 2xlr) or are we in a different "class" regarding the noise floor.What do you think? The h6 is definitely smaller though.

• @luxis

Check out ebay you might have better luck there :)

• @luxis

Just get one on ebay or amazon then :-) If you are a pro you could even return VAT from customs, or just ask seller for low declaration.

• Hey guys, great thread! Just as far as prices, all the euro amazons sell it for almost double the price unfortunately...£827.00!

• Thanks! I will have a listen, thanks for all your work.

• @DrDave

Here are some of the files from the blind test. To be honest I don't notice any difference :( I am pretty sure at this point that the defective microphone caused me to believe that the Busman Audio mod was well worth it. Please take this test as is... My house has tile floors so this is not really a good test but since I said that I would post it here it is.

Please also keep in mind that I live in a house that is within close proximity to the freeway so the microphone is picking up a lot of noise. If I go into a carpeted portion of my house it is a lot quieter, unfortunately I don't have any speakers in those rooms so it is what it is. Just to set the record straight. The Tascam DR680 has really clean preamps and sounds a lot better then these recordings so please don't listen to these recordings and think wow that recorder sucks.

A little more details... Gain was set at 80 for Mozart, microphone was 1 1/2 feet away from the left speaker. For my voice the microphone was 1 foot away, gain was set at 40.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ymw64kfpr07ygv/-xtHORIci-

• @DrDave

Well, in regard to the Busman Audio Mod it turns out that one of my CAD-E70's was defective :( I never noticed it before until this test because the Zoom H4N that I was using actually has noisy preamps. One of the microphones was super clean and the other microphone was a lot noisier. I can still tell the difference between the Busman XLR jacks and the non Busman jacks but it is not as noticeable as I thought. Nevertheless I will conduct the test tomorrow and post the results.

Luckily I have the Tascam DR680 because with the Zoom H4n I would have never noticed that one of the microphones was defective due to the noisy preamps. So I am actually happy about that :) Hopefully my replacement CAD-E70 is just as clean as the one that I kept.

I forgot to mention but I had one CAD-E70 plugged into input #1 and the other CAD-E70 plugged into input #3. The first 2 inputs have the Busman Audio Mod, the rest of the inputs are normal.

Best Regards :)

• At the lower price, it it a total steal.

• Yes, you're probably right. On my bigger paying gigs I typically hire someone with a SD and full kit. (Just like we're often shooting an Alexa or similar camera.) But for the projects where I have spent my own limited funds to put together a best-bang-for-my-buck system, the DR-680 and GH2 with FD lenses gives me a look and sound far beyond what I really paid for. Not quite perfect but a ridiculously good value.

• I'm kind of surprised that these are selling so cheap. Did a new recorder came out that's pushing down the price?

I have simple theory on this. DR-680 just falls in specific niche. New wannabe filmmakers do not buy it, as it is larger and cost still more than H4n or DR100. More advanced guys look at sound pros and sound pros constantly tell you about SD as your only option ( I am removing high end options here).

• I'm kind of surprised that these are selling so cheap. Did a new recorder came out that's pushing down the price? To me, the DR-680 is still the best bang for the buck around. I'd only bother moving up to a Sound Devices recorder.

• @vicharris @DrDave

Yeah I saw that too... It seems like as soon as Vitaliy posted the link to Amazon then all of a sudden the used price shot up :( I will have some time on Sunday to perform these tests. I will include a 2-3 genres of music and maybe some dialogue to add into the mix. I do not have a controlled environment (sound proof room) to test this with so please take this into consideration when listening to the files.

I was thinking about recording the H4N and throwing that into the mix, but I think that it would be too obvious so in essence a waste of time to perform the test. @vicharris If you have another suggestion in regard to testing, I am more then willing to perform the test for you just let me know...

Best Regards

• Great thread guys. Thanks. I just missed grabbing one of these on Amazon for $399. Kind of bummed.

• Of that list I guess I would use the ME66 because there are certainly ppl who use that mic. Also, it has a decent noise floor. BWF: yes, it is just :PCM with benefits. Music: I always use solo harpsichord music for this test, because of the overtone patterns, but pick something anything you like!

• @DrDave

Sure thing... Do you have any suggestions in terms of what I should play through thru the speakers to help with the blind A/B test? I have Mozart, Beethoven, Luciano Pavarotti and many other genres available. In regard to the microphones I have a Blue Spark, Sennheiser ME66, or CAD-E70 available at the moment for this recording. Which microphone would you prefer?

I have another question for you. The Tascam DR-680 records WAV files and also BWF files, from what I read the only difference is the amount of metadata that can be attached to the file. Is that correct?

Best Regards

• Post two sound clips unlabelled and see if we can tell the mod from the unmod :) record something through stereo speakers so the sound source will be exactly the same.

• @DrDave

Thank you for your suggestion on the DR-680. The Busman Audio Mod does make a difference in the audio quality. I can definitely tell the difference and it does sound better. This a lot better then the H4n in regard to the preamps. I will still keep the H4n because it is small and compact. I will use the Tascam for quieter types of environments (indoors) and use the H4n for outdoor shoots.

I think for outdoor types of shots the H4n will be suffice because the ambient noise will probably drown out most of the preamp noise. I will test it this weekend to see if I notice the difference outdoors between the DR-680 and the H4N. If you would like to hear the difference with the Busman Audio Mod, I can record my voice and upload it via drop box. Let me know... Anyway thanks for all your advice.

Best Regards

• @DrDave

They are even going for $399, I mean Amazon "used in very good condition", Things that are called such are usually new open box items. At least this is my expirience.

Also at ebay sellers frequently use terms "open box" and "refurbished" to overcome minimum advertising prices (usually if they are official dealers).

• I see they are going for about $575-- I paid much more for mine when it first came out. That's a very good deal.