Personal View site logo
GH3 dental commercial
  • I just light/shoot them, dont yell at me about editing or audio :)

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • Looks good! Looks like a commercial on TV. Can't ask for too much more out of a $1200 camera. Nice active footage btw.

• @vicharris Thanks I was happy mostly how it turned out from a shot standpoint. Was a bit rushed, I think it was a grand total of 7 hours of shooting spanned over 3 separate days. Not an ideal situation. (you have family X for 1 hour, etc) Not a lot of lighting time, several shots are not lit very well at all (artistically anyway). Funny story the girl in shot 6 kept bitching on set about how crappy this commercial was going to be... love how shooting sets bring out the best in people :-)

• I think It is a very good commercial . What lenses did you use and steadicam ?

• @Skenzin Looks great!

• @Skenzin The tech women? What was her problem? What was she expecting if you weren't given adequate time?

• @Skenzin Def looks better than average commercial you'll typically see on cable TV that is made for a small local company. Most of them have harsh video look. This looks like a nice smooth image. The motion is good as well. Definitely better than most - I'm sure the client will be happy.

• @Skenzin nicely done! I like the steadicam shots. Was the shot at 5 seconds done with a slider or steadicam? Also, would you mind sharing how much a job like this cost your clients? Did you charge by the hour, by min of video, or just for the project?

• @Skenzin Cool. What was your rig/setup when shooting?

• looks pretty good, but you can see the GH3 limitations like latitude, compression, and banding. The muddy/darkness on their faces while outside and the blown out window really stick out to me. That said everything else shot inside looks great. I love the dutch angle move following the dentist to the computer. Maybe I've just been looking at too much Blackmagic footage lately and got too used to that latitude.

• Thanks all.. I appreciate the comments.. I do agree about the limits of the Gh3. I would love to get a blackmagic but Im not sure we have the infrastructure to support RAW file sizes yet. I do feel the Gh3 compliments my shooting better than Gh2. I seem to get a noticeably better image out of it..

• Anyway heres a shot breakdown... Shot1: Glidecam with Canon 24mm Tiltshift TS-E lens. That was a fun day.. learned the fun of balancing a crooked lens. Shot2: PocketDolly w/ Canon 24mm TiltShift Shot3: PocketDolly w/ Sigma 20mm f1.8 lens EOS mount. Shot4/5: Sigma 30mm f1.4 4/3-mount (love this lens) Shot6: Glidecam maybe sigma 20mm, really dislike this shot. Couldn't get an hour to shoot a pull-focus shot to replace it :( Shot7: Glidecam w/ Sigma 20mm f1.8 Shot8: Tokina 11-16mm handheld shoulder rig. Shot9: Glidecam tokina 11-16mm

• @Brian202020 Those limitations of the GH3 could probably be fixed with a higher set budget though. Reflectors outside could have brightened up the faces and maybe some ND gels on the windows to keep them from blowing out. Definitely worth noting though

• @Vicharris it was the young girl in white. I hate being rushed. But Im slowly learning to make as much as I can from what I'm given.

• @Skenzin

Get my good advice. Igonore all this comments about "latitude, compression, and banding".
    Just kepp doing that you are doing and working on skill and content. May be get few extra lenses if you can't persist :-)

• @Timx98 agree on the reflector, I actually thought of that after the shoot, we even had one there. During the 30 minutes I had to get that shot, I had a mother constantly in my ear telling me grandbaby wasnt visible enough and trying to direct the scene herself.. original plan called for a 3hour shoot and I wanted to bring a generator with a few led light boxes.. but i agree completely with you.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

that is good advice. Thanks.

• @timx98 I'm not sure what the client paid. I stay out of the business side and a good bit of post production. I help with concept and pre-production, I usually put together the shot list myself. My tendencies usually sway toward darker Gilliam type concepts, So, a lot of my proposed concepts maybe too experimental for small market commercials. I usually end up taking a more mainstream concept we've agreed upon and try to inject a more cinematic approach. This was a rush job and the budget was probably smaller judging by the schedule.