Personal View site logo
Official Nikon D600 and D610 topic
  • 238 Replies sorted by
  • @maxotics no worries :) I am glad that you feel that way... Same here...

Yeah, all of the gear adds up to be quite a bit. I am always telling my Boss ( Wife ) ok this is the last thing that I need to buy, then in about one week I realize that I need something else it seems like it is never ending.

In regard to the basic stuff the Passport Color Checker is really awesome. It comes with software that basically installs a plugin for Lightroom for each camera that you have. So once you learn how to set everything up it is awesome. It also doubles as a white balance card. If I am not mistaken it comes with a video tutorial that walks you through the whole process, if not there are a some really good tutorials on youtube to properly use this tool.

The light meter is kinda pricey. I have the cine version they generally cost more then the regular version but to me it is worth it for all of the extra features. Anyway glad I could be of help to you. The other thing to consider is calibrating your monitor. I have the X-Rite ColorMunki Display. I know all this stuff adds up but if you want your still imaging and videos to look decent this is the bare minimum. Sorry I forgot to add it in the post above. I have 3 monitors and it pretty much calibrates all of the monitors so that they all have the same color rendition.

The only thing that is kinda of a bummer to me, is that you can calibrate your monitor so that the colors are true. But when you deliver the final product to the client, if they don't have their monitors calibrated then it wont look the same. I always take my 15" Retina MacBook Pro and show the images/videos/websites to them on my laptop so they know what it supposed to look like.

I am not saying that these are the best tools, but these are the basics for photography and video.

@Vitaliy @All sorry for going off topic.

Best Regards

• D610 camera is announced

Bringing small improvement into shooting seed and, oil issues.

PR - http://www.nikonusa.com/en/About-Nikon/Press-Room/Press-Release/hm12ju4m/Concentrate-on-the-Clarity%3A-The-New-Nikon-D610-FX-Format-D-SLR-Places-Emphasis-on-the-Image-Making-Experience.html

PDF - http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d610/pdf/d610_8p.pdf

New Improved Automatic White Balance: With an updated AWB algorithm, users can capture more vivid skies, and more natural-appearing reproduction of artificial light than ever before. Additionally, more natural skin tones can be captured, rendering faces with a more three-dimensional appearance.

New Increased Speed and Performance: A new shutter mechanism in the D610 affords a faster frame rate. Users can now capture the action at a continuous 6 frames-per-second (fps), which is ideal for photographing action sports or elusive wildlife.

New Quiet Continuous Shutter Mode: Ideal for weddings and other sensitive events, the D610 features a new Quiet Continuous Shutter Mode. When selected via the main command dial, users can shoot discreetly at up to 3 fps.

Starts shipping - 18 October.

Previews and such

Available at:

• Any chance of a hack to add/change functionality in the near future for de D600?

• @peterweter

No hacks talks here, please.

• I don't see anything really new. Except for shallow depth of field, I'd shoot video on my GF3 before the D600. 24p is not going to change that. I really wouldn't buy this camera for video. However, as a photography camera (what Nikon specializes in) this camera does for stills what Panasonic does for video--optimizes sharpness and allows you to crop smaller (while maintaining decent res) with this camera than the comparable Canon (due to the sensor). I was going to sell my D600, but if this drives the price down too far I'll keep it for stills. The oil thing is blown out of proportion.

If photography is your passion, this camera would not disappoint you. As for video, sorry, Nikon has no real economic incentive to go down that route. I've been immersed in DSLR video for a couple of months now and I'm pretty sure the number of people pursuing it, in a real way, numbers in the thousands. I see the same names, on all the boards. The video enthusiast market, for DSLRs, I calculate to be less than 0.05% (and that's optimistic).

When I first doing this I thought Nikon short-sighted for not allowing their cameras to be hacked. Now I see the economic/user-risk reality. Many people buy Nikons because they are built like, work like, tanks. It isn't worth losing millions of customers, if a problem arises, for a few who might shoot RAW-type video.

All that said, they have a mic input and if you want to get some quick video, you have an option.

Just like the D600, the D610 has a phenomenal sensor. Nikon D610 shows excellent performance at all ISO levels that match those of the D800/D800E.

http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d610

xm1_4.jpg
    800 x 533 - 181K
    xm1_5.jpg
    800 x 535 - 149K
    xm1_6.jpg
    479 x 720 - 92K
  • I had decided that if I was going to sell my D600, I'd do it after an event I wanted to take photos for. I brought 2 Canon EOS-Ms, with different lenses, Canon flash, and the D600 with an old Nikkor 50mm 1.4 About ten minutes after I got there they turned down the lights. The Canons were great for standard flash shots.

Then it was the D600, "Let me show you what I can do." I set my aperture to 2.8 and began shooting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxotics/10254718153/

All the outside and inside non-flash shots were taken with that setup.

I've read many reviews where photographers rave about the low-light performance of this camera. I haven't compared it with a Canon full-frame, but I know an APS-C sized sensor camera would not come close.

• kodak6.jpg
    800 x 545 - 93K
    kodak7.jpg
    800 x 536 - 95K
  • Review, conclusion, is the same as with D600, as it is same camera.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d610-dslr-review-23260

levels7.jpg
    800 x 537 - 178K
  • The D610 is ... just ... a D600 with the re-designed shutter assembly. That's it, that's all folks ... which is why virtually ALL the 'new' features are um ... shutter related! Go figure, right?

So ... if you've sent your D600 in a couple times for mirror-cleaning, you probably got the replacement shutter assembly installed in your camera ... meaning essentially that you now have a D610 even if the number on the camera is outdated.

Or ... like we just did ... you purchased a recently Nikon-refurb'd D600 ... you've really got a D610.

Aren't we all happier now?

Neil

• Nikon D610 adds just 3 new features to the one-year-old D600 camera, none of which are going to compel D600 owners to rush out and upgrade. Unofficially, we suspect that the D610 has been rushed out to fix the "oil on the sensor" issue that plagued its predecessor, as the D610 now has a different shutter release mechanism.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_d610_review/

• I just sent my D600 in today. There were tons of oil spots and I'm under 2k clicks. I tried cleaning it myself. May have made it worse, certainly not better. Will be curious to see if they replace the mechanism. Will let you know. I hope they do, now that I've cooled to Magic Lantern, I may build out on this camera a bit (for photos of course).

• @maxotics ... please post whether they replace the shutter assembly or not. I did see one camera store's blog where they noted that on receipt of a few factory-refurbed D600's, and checking ... they all had the same new-style shutter assembly as on the D610's they had in stock.

It's amazing how badly they've handled the public relations of this problem. Still, the camera's themselves are quite useful especially for the price. No, it's not my D3 in build, back-panel LCD, all sorts of things. However ... total resolution, movie capability, 'native' dynamic range ... it's got things my D3 doesn't, that the missus uses more in her studio/environmental portrait work than the ruggedness and WEIGHT of the D3 she's been shooting with. "For a few dollars less ... " to paraphrase an old movie title.

Neil

• Just received D610. After a couple of shots (camera is superb), I tried also the video quality using the Century Optics 1.33x: Okay, this in not a special job, just a single/simple anamorphic test. No post editing, as came out of camera (no special settings on camera concerning sharpness/contrast/etc, @ f/f2.5, shutter@50, & iso1000 as it is a low light shot). No diopter or anything else. At this f/2.5 aperture, lens+anamorphic are responding fine. (password: test1)

The D610 stays among the best of cameras when it comes to image-quality. Image-noise is very low and dynamic-range is the best there is. It is also one of the most affordable full-frame DSLR cameras on the market, pushing the D600 towards unseen territory.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/nikon/d610/review

gm10.jpg
    800 x 530 - 83K
  • FYI, after 2 weeks I got my D600 back from Nikon. They replaced the entire shutter mechanism. Like a new camera now (my guess is functionally equivalent to D610). So have no beef with Nikon! :) I've always been a Canon guy, and for the most part, doubt I'd see the difference between this camera and any Canon full-frame. There are two reasons I still haven't sold this camera.

1. Able to use old Nikkor glass, like a 1.4 50mm I have.
    2. It is built like a tank (compared to similarly priced Canons.
    3. I don't care about the extra resolution except that it may improve color because you have more red and blue pixels to pull data from when down-scaling.
  • The D610 will let you record for a second short of 30 minutes. Files are encoded with the H.264 codec at one of two quality settings, the higher of which encodes at an average bit rate of 24Mbps for the 1080p and higher frame rate 720p modes.

It's interesting to note the D610 provides more or less the exact same movie modes as the Canon EOS 6D which also offers 24, 25 and 30 fps recording at 1080p resolutions with 720p at 50 and 60 fps, all encoded using H.264, although the 6D also offers the choice of inter or intra-frame compression. The 6D has a socket for an external microphone, but no headphone socket. On balance I think that with its DX crop mode, uncompressed HDMI output and headphone socket, the D610 is a more capable movie camera then the 6D. At this level at least, Nikon has reversed Canon's long held dominance in this area.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D610/

• Interesting to see the way the focus sorta tracked ... hunted just a bit a couple times, but on the walk back mostly sorta tracked, but needs to be better.

Shooting a GH3 myself, and working with the wife and friend with their D600's ... dang, those big gorgeous Nikon lenses are noisy when they focus. My 17mm Oly and 35-100 Panny are absolutely quiet. Wish the Nikon's were!

• So what experience are folks having with their D6x0 in grading, and what are you editing and grading in? Coming out of 35+ years of professional stills/portraits, we're an "Adobe house" ... but I really prefer to hear of all things out there and all techniques/preferences ...

Neil

• I love my d600 for stills. For video, once I started using Magic Lantern RAW with some Canon cameras I couldn't go back. I now have a BMPCC (Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera). In stills, you have say 12 stops of dynamic range. With the d600 (and all the other cameras that shoot video in H.264), you need to make sure that what you want exposed correctly is within a couple of stops. That's too frustrating for me. The shallow DOF is nice, compared to a camcorder.

To me, you'd be crazy not to shoot video in RAW, or close to it. Each video frame from my d600, for example, is probably about 100k. From my BMPCC I'm getting 2 megabyte DNGs. As a photographer, I'm sure you know what that ultimately means.

• @maxotics

" As a photographer, I'm sure you know what that ultimately means."

Yes ... MASSIVE files! :)

Having gone from RB67 medium-format film through digital up through D3/D600/Panny GH3) yea, I'm a total raw-shooter in stills. And if one needs real top quality, in cine one would choose that also. Mostly.

There are situations where both my wife and I do shoot in-cam jpeg's for portrait clients, IF on some special promotions where 1- chance of 30"+ prints are absurd 2- we have total control over the exposure situation and 3- we'll be handing off the card to an employee for immediate sales. ALL other images are RAW.

The raw files for stills aren't really much bigger than the biggest possible jpeg's (the only acceptable jpeg-incam setting for us). However, video files ... even a minute of the .mov H.264 stuff out of the D600 and GH3 ... are HUGE compared to a whole session of pro-size RAW files. I really gasped when I started video ... the number of big FAST drives I suddenly needed for simple operational use, couple with of course BIG drives for backup. Wow, this blows out a stills-studio photog's needs! :)

So ... yea, I shoot with righteous exposure/wb to get the best post possible. I'm sure that soon enough I'll be getting the itch to get raw video. But the cost ... both in cameras and drives ... will be noted!

Neil

• @rNeil. Absolutely! If I was shooting a concert or wedding, or some kind of event, sweat would pour down my head shooting 4GB/min RAW :)

• @maxotics

Oh yea. My brain would be doing a very fast computation of cards-needed/gigs-of-driveS needed/time uploading/rendering & etc. and ... COSTS ... while I was shooting!

Now if I was getting paid for a cine-shoot on a bigger budget, NOT as the person worried about profitability so much ... then YES! Cine-RAW all the way! :-)

Neil