Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Isn't the Tokina a APS-C lens?

• "Dicahub reports that the EF-M43 Speed Booster will be released in August. EF-M43 will have electronic contacts. This is good news because MFT will get access to the largest lens range of the world. Now Canon gear owners can sue their Full Frame lenses on MFT cameras gaining 1 stop of speed!"

http://www.43rumors.com/ef-to-mft-speed-booster-coming-in-august/

Tokina 11-16mm for all your wide angle needs.

• I just ordered one from Innocinema , lets see what happens

• Also found another place that says its in stock.

http://www.innocinema.com/blackmagic-design-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera.html

I'm not going to risk it though, sticking to my B&H preorder.

• http://www.muzeekworld.com/41033-BlackMagic-Pocket-Camera-(-CINECAMPOCHDMFT-)

Don't know if they are legit or not though.

• @trumpetman I absolutely agree about the lumix lenses. I think once you have a decent dynamic range you really want sharp images that 'cut through the dynamic range'. I think with DSLRs people have been using soft lens as a preference to take the edge off contrasty images.

I always remember reading that Ridley Scott insisted on very razor sharp images, soft doesn't equal cinematic.

I attached a crappy image from my iPad to make a point. This lens is tiny, almost like it was built by BM for the Pocketcam. I bought the 14-42mm mk2 recently and couldn't believe how small it was.

image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 215K
  • The YouTube link is def BS. Just searched completed and sold listings on eBay and nothing comes up except for pre-orders of new cams. He had his 15 minutes of fame... move along. That being said, I did notice while searching that these guys claimed to have them in stock: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackMagic-Pocket-Camera-CINECAMPOCHDMFT-Brand-NEW-/321146877569?hash=item4ac5d87681

• @chaos123x Who'd he buy it from John Brawley?? The guy is full of BS.

• The guy that posted the youtube video says he bought a used one, so that's why he didn't do a unboxing video.

• I think everyone is going to be quite surprised at how nice the lumix lenses are going to pair up with the BMPCC. I never use them with my GH cameras when I'm going for a cinematic look, only my Nikons, but from what I've seen in John Brawley's footage I think this is where the sharpness of the lumix lenses will payoff. The pocket cam doesn't have the internal processing like the GH and therefore will not yield that over sharpened video look that you get with lumix lenses on the GH. I also think distortion correction will not be that big of an issue either since the smaller sensor is taking more from the center of the lens.

• @double_vision yeah that is a possibility too.... we'll find out soon enough?

• @double_vision

Who knows, I asked if they did a unboxing video but no response.

• Is the youtube footage real or some people just making a fake pocket video?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

That's part of it, but I'm sure it has more to do with over heating since it's in a smaller body with no fan.

• @Chaos123x

it's already been talked about. For starters the sensor issue was the glass cover bonding process. The little bit of glass over the sensor is dirty. So it would still be dirty on a pocket camera or a BMCC.

If you look really closely at the sensor, you'll notice that although it APPEARS to be the same size as the BMCC , there is a small 16x9 cutout centred on the lens. The sensors are on the same size PCB 'package, but the sensor is actually a different sensor,. They aren't interchangeable between the cameras.

http://www.cameraegg.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Blackmagic-Pocket-Cinema-Camera.jpg

jb

• If this isn't true why not just give us the full sensor?

If they'll provided full sensor sales of original BMCC will drop sharply.

• Well I thought it was the same full 2.5k sensor with a HD size blocked out. It could explain why the sensor is mounted strangely. Obviously the HD section would have to have all good pixels though.

If this isn't true why not just give us the full sensor?

• I brought up that theory the day after its announcement. I no longer think this is a possibility do to technical things JB and BMD has said as well as the pictures of the camera.

• Conspiracy Theory: The Pocket was created to have a place for defective bmmc sensors.

• @jimmykorea again, your right, but take it easy mun

• I agree again. First decide what is your typical style of filmmaking, then add up all parts you'll need and check if you can afford them. It makes absolutely no sense to buy the small BMPCC for cheap, only to find out later that the lenses you need for your style are Arri/Zeiss Superspeeds for S-16. They'll neither be compact nor cheap.

If the C-mount lenses I suggested for BMPCC are not for you, and if you can live with manual lenses only, why not get the BMCC MFT instead? It's available, street price is already dropping and you can get wonderful manual glass from many sources for decent prices (if you not have them already for the GH2).

Or wait forever for the perfect camera for all styles at a the lowest price ever …

• "It actually might be cheaper to get the Bmmc Mft when you factor in buying a bunch lenses."

BINGO!!

Even the Production Cam! I bet you could have a decent 3 lens kit from vintage primes for under even $500. Don't forget with a global shutter you can more easily do without a rig too. Once the dust settles many might gravitate toward the Production camera in the end.

• People just act like it's a bizzaro request.

• @Chaos123x Who said its crazy to want to have a wide lens?

As the discussion was around getting wide I just suggested that IF people were struggling with getting a decent wide on the Pocket for whatever reason including budget then maybe a different camera might be a better option, or work with the limitation you got. Look if I saw someone trying to open a can of beans with a spoon I might suggest to them a can opener, that's all.

• At 3X crop a 8mm is a 24mm equivalent. I don't see how that is super wide, or crazy to want to have in your kit.

I like to have the equivalent of 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm. Sure most of the time I won't use all those lenses, but it would be handy to have. It actually might be cheaper to get the Bmmc Mft when you factor in buying a bunch lenses.