Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @cbrandin Yes. And the AQ routine is still very good - don't get me wrong. But the ball is still out on the exact role of Quantizer for 720 modes and what it is doing. Here, in these settings note, it is set to 30. Initial; is set to 30. 1080 quantizer is set to =3. Whether 1080 quantizer is controlling 720 modes (which it looks like it is under these settings) is a question you could look into. But it only works with B frames switched on. With 720 on i/p only (encoder setting 1 = 2) the theory goes to mush. So maybe Quantizer for 720 modes is actually something to do with B frames. Incidentally, the matrices are based on Canon 5DIII's unused hidden matrices from its firmware.

• @driftwood - The AQ parameter was developed before the custom matrices were, so at the beginning it was the best way to affect quantization as the AQ parameter automatically takes bitrate into consideration..

Basically, you can accomplish the same result by modifying matrices that AQ does - but with more control (and more work as well), so it's a more precise way to do it. I assume that's the conclusion you came to - right?

• @GravitateMediaGroup Settings: Moon T7 sete, ISO160, 1/125, -2-2-2-2 Smooth, 24H & 720p60

• @driftwood Thank you for Moon T7 24frames setting, It works great amazing details, footage can be pushed well in grading. grades like almost RAW. finally GH2 is getting digital film standard.

• @driftwood Just tried DREWnet T9 on GH2 and hardly saw any artefact in debloking. Amazing work!! I also tested it on GX1 and everything works perfectly. Do you have any fine-tuning suggestion using DREWnet T9 on GX1 (or G3)? Does GX1 use Intra 8x8? Could we replace the 1080i settings by 24p ones for GX1?

Anyway, you are brilliant!

@rsquires I looked into DREWnet T9 and found that 1080i(or HBR) uses the same scaling matirces as 720p does. In principle both modes should provide improvement equally.

Cheers!:-)

• @puru THAT was with a 14-42???

what are some of the settings?

• Moon T7 test, hope you like.

• @driftwood You are absolutely right the DREWnet T9 720p is gorgeous. Also 24p is superb. Unbelievable in fact. And this with Panny lenses. My question - the HBR mode is rather soft and in comparison lacks much of the zing of 720p and 24p. Looking at the description it seems quite low in the bitrate department. Is there another setting that has the same gorgeous 720p and a better HBR. I have project where I need to shoot 720p for sports footage and player greenscreen at a higher res. I am thinking I will probably shoot 720 on it's side anyway but it would be nice to have the extra res that 1920x1080 image size would give especially when the camera is one it's side, giving a height of 1920.

• @driftwood another thought on my motion problem may have come from not using the latest version of ptools, as you mentioned above.

just ran across this, This didn't appear while shooting, but playback on computer revealed this...once again this is from a setting with old version of ptools

1/50 extel

vlc is giving a strobe effect, YouTube and Win media player do not, when I get a free minute I will upload the original clip and let you try in VLC

• Thanks for your explanation. Tomorrow I will post a shot with moon T7.

• @FernandoAndre I don't use AQ at all personally. Everything is measured from the matrix to the manual quantisers.

FYI on Auto Quantizer. =4 is lowest QP as it moves towards =0 it adjusts bitrate to motion estimation. = 2 is a balance.

Chris Brandin who created the routine explains:- "The Auto Quantizer allocates the additional bandwidth to different things. If you go towards "detail" more of the extra bandwidth is allocated to using less quantization of macroblocks - which means better shadow detail and smoother detail all around. If you go towards "motion" extra bandwidth is not allocated to accommodate lower quantization of macroblocks, rather it is allocated to encoding changes in the image more robustly - which means reduced stuttering, etc... They both improve quality, just in different ways. "

• Never mind I saw the post proving it is solid.

Thanks

On a side note. Thanks a lot Nick Driftwood. I appreciate all you do and all you continue to do for the community and the GH2 Camera.

• @driftwood No, I didn't see these options on "patches for testers". So, I need uncheck these 3 options if I want the Auto Quantizer active?

Edit: Got a question: Ptool says on Auto Quantizer: "lower values mean lower compression, High values lead to high compression". It means that 4 - All to details has a higher compression than 0 - All to motion? If I want better quality (and bigger bitrate by consequence), my choice should be 0 - All to motion?

• @driftwood Yes Nick, it was 720p60, no cc. Will try DREWnet & Moon during the weekend. Cheers :)

• @puru Liang was that 720p ? Nice to see a Brighton test :-)

@FernandoAndre Did you uncheck Initial Quantizer / Quantizer for 1080 modes / Quantizer for 720 modes before switching on Auto Quantizer?

@Azo Thanks for proving DREWnet is rock solid too. Yeah there were some 720 B frame amends during the ptool changes that sorted out a few issues in the firmware / switching on / first recording etc. Always good to use the latest version of ptools.

• Cluster X Drewnet T-9 Death Screen Test

I tested the Death Screen chart with the following;

Sandisk Extreme 64GB 45MB/s card, Panasonic 20mm 1.7 @ 6.3, ISO 1600, Shutter Speed 50/60/125, White Balance Set to Daylight Balance Setting, Video Mode in Fully Manual with no i-DRC or iA modes.

I formatted the card with the SDFormatter in the quick format mode. The logical address adjustment was checked in the options panel prior to recording. I proceeded to record in all of the various modes back to back remembering to record a short 5-10s clip right after the 15 minute clips.

I recorded the Death Screen in 24p, HBR30p, 720p, and 1080i for a minimum of 15 minutes in each mode before I stopped the recording. The patch is rock solid with no issues or freezing etc.

@driftwood

I have a question for you. Prior to installing the latest patches I was using PTool 3.64d for all of the patches. I am using PTool 3.66d for all of your latest releases, does it make a difference which PTool I use.

• I tested the moon T7 sete, using a Sandisk 64gb/95mbps. - Cinema 24p, 1920x1080, Auto Quantizer changed to "4 - All to details". Shutter 1/40 and 1/50, ISO800. Recorded long clips of 20 and 10 minutes, all fine. - 720/60p, Shutter 1/125 for slow motion. Recorded 20 and 30 minutes, all fine.

I don't have anything interesting to shoot right now, so I will try it in a real job on this Friday, as it's a reliable patch.

• Nebula T7 test, thank you for the great work @driftwood!

• Good report. Thankyou @Azo. Nebula done then. :-)

• Cluster X Nebula T-7 seems to be rock solid.

I tested the Death Screen chart with the following;

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MB/s & Sandisk Extreme 64GB 45MB/s cards with the same results. Panasonic 20mm 1.7 @ 6.3, ISO 1600, Shutter Speed 50/60/125, White Balance Set to Daylight Balance Setting, Video Mode in Fully Manual with no i-DRC or iA modes.

I formatted each card with the SDFormatter in the quick format mode. The logical address adjustment was checked in the options panel prior to recording onto each card. I proceeded to record in all of the various modes back to back remembering to record a short 5-10s clip right after the 15 minute clips.

I recorded the Death Screen in 24p, HBR30p, 720p, and 1080i for a minimum of 15 minutes in each mode before I stopped the recording. The patch is rock solid with both cards no issues or freezing etc.

I am working on a website at the moment so I don't have time to shoot anything other then the death screen but I hope this info is helpful.

Best Regards

• Try it. You decide. A lot of people like the grain in Sedna, Apocalypse Now settings, Boom and Intravenus I & II. See what you think to moon.

• Hello, when I read about moon T7 "INTRA 24p minimum 130-147Mbps - best looking ever" I'm asking myself if it is, maybe, better than Sedna?

• @WarLightUK Just for shits and giggles, can you shoot a few scenes at 1/40th? I was going to go out to the pier tonight and shoot some tests but I've been allocated to ripping down a wall in my kitchen by the wife. The boss takes priority! :)

I shot some stuff on the first version and the motion looked ok to me and I shoot on 1/40.

• @vicharris Yeah... The files that recorded without any problems and the ones that froze the camera were all 1/50th.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters