Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @shian....yeah, I've just bitten my tongue on this whole thing. Between this thread and the development topic thread, it doesn't seem like anyone back reads or researches a damn thing before they post. Simply amazing.

• Is anyone going to the LA event tomorrow? It would be great if you could take down some of our questions and get some answers. Anyone? Anyone?

• facepalm the same way Intravenus 139Mb/s footage records to them just fine - magic

• 95MB/s is also the peak read speed of the card, not the continuous write speed.

• @Tron I'm going out on a limb and say that mpgxsvcd knows the difference between Mb vs. MB ;)

• @mpgxsvcd you obviously didn't read through or failed to note Mb vs. MB

• Everyone just needs to wait for an official SD list otherwise you might be kicking yourself.

• If the RAW footage is at 100 MB/sec then how is even a 95 MB/sec card going to work?

• @tron yep, as I said:

"Pocket is supposed to be lossless compressed initially (with a lossy mode to follow later)."

• As I understand it, CinemaDNG also has a visually lossless (lossy) spec that will be implemented on the 4K cam, so it's not just a lossless spec.

• @nomad

I'd never go less than 6:1, and that's for web stuff. Like @_gl said, RED RAW is a lossy compression, and the CinemaDNG RAW is supposed to be lossless.

• @nomad, RED raw is 'lossy' (data is thrown out), that's how they can achieve such high compression ratios.

Pocket is supposed to be lossless compressed initially (with a lossy mode to follow later). With lossless compression no data is lost, it's 100% identical to the uncompressed data (like .zip files). For AV data you tend to get around 1.5:1. However it depends on the data, an almost black frame will compress much better, tons of tiny detail = worse. BMD have to allow for the worst ratio scenario when spec'ing compatible SD cards.

@tron yeah those are the numbers I originally came up with too.

• @kevin_kirchman I also ran the numbers for converting DNG RAW to Cineform RAW and the resulting data rate runs somewhere around 100Mbps. That's pretty amazing considering that's just twice what the GH3 records at, and you still retain the benefits of RAW... it would be a great archive and intermediate codec to work with.

• RAW compression on a RED yields pretty good quality at 8:1, but it's a wavelet and applied before de-bayering (which inflates data). Anybody knows if DNG is before or after de-bayering?

• @Tron If they could get the compression that high, it'd be great. That would only be a smidge higher than the 27.5MB needed for ProRes, but like you said, most likely going to be a 1.5:1

• @DocoDocoMan I've been working the bitrate numbers for BMPCC RAW and this is what I came up with based on avail info... According to BlackMagic, 2.5K RAW averages 5 MB per frame. At the reduced resolution of 1920 x 1080 we can expect to see an average of approx. 3.14 MB per frame. At 24fps uncompressed, that is a data rate of 75.36 MB/sec or 94.2 MB/sec for 30P. With 1.5:1 compression that is 50.24 MB/sec at 24P and 62.8 MB/sec at 30P. At 2.2:1 compression they should actually be able to comfortably record RAW to 45 MB/sec cards at all frame rates. It's unlikely they will offer compression rates that high (unless the encoder is robust), so most likely we can expect 95MB/sec cards will be necessary. So UHS-II cards would likely be overkill for the needs of this camera.

• Thanks for the follow up!

• @kevin_kirchman

It was the big wig at B&H saying the Pocket shipping probably first couple of weeks in August and the 4K first couple of weeks in September

• With regard to shipping, like anything you should always go to the actual source, asking BHphoto about shipping dates will get you tons of different replies according to who you get in customer service. Christine on the BM forum said yesterday that she asked the team and they indicated shipping 'in July' is still the plan.

• @imackreath looks like the tweet was removed. What did it say

• Did I miss something? I thought we worked out the Pro Extreme cards could handle the flavours of RAW we were expecting from the camera?

• Things are moving in Australia...

For now a Nauticam UW housing with tokina 10-17 for the bigger sister.

http://goo.gl/MV7z4M

• Answer so far on support for UHS-II... Looks like more to info to come and I will follow up when I visit the stand again on Thursday or Friday...

From: justin@newmagic.com.au To: bmpcc.stuff@thedoco.co Subject: RE: BMPCC support for UHS-II Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 23:50:12 +0000

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Blackmagic Design support. Your request has been forwarded to New Magic Australia, the master distributor for Blackmagic Design products in Australia and New Zealand. We also handle all sales, support and warranty enquires for our customers.

We don't have any information regarding UHS-II SD cards being supported on the Pocket Cinema Camera. Not sure if the camera will have the additional pins that UHS-II uses, but my understanding is that these SD cards can be used in non-USH-II devices and still offer UHS-I speeds (104 MB/s max theoretical). We'll try to find out some more info from BMD.

In any case, the extra speed that these UHS-II cards will offer over the current SDXC UHS-I cards may not be of any use, as there will be no "write delay" like some dslrs. The files are written directly to the SD card in realtime, provided the SD card is fast enough. If the SD card is too slow, you'll simply get dropped frames and/or corrupted files.

Just as there is a certified SSD list, there will also be a certified SD card list and any SD card not on this list won't be officially supported.

Regards, Justin Moy Technical Support, New Magic Australia Pty Ltd +61 3 9722 9700 justin@newmagic.com.au www.newmagic.com.au

• Update from B&H...

https://twitter.com/...785407564627968

not bad news...but still not great based on original shipping dates specified.