Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • lol, didnt read it all.

• @double_vision

It was just a adapter.

• I hate you! lol, have fun with the camera. Still no word from adorama :(

• I just got a email from B&H saying my order has shipped! I was like holy crap! But then I looked closer and it said partially shipped. Turns out it was a shoe mount adapter I bought so I could stick my Rode VideoMic Pro on top of my pocket cam. Oh well.

• Being 'limited' to 10 bit 422 ProRes will not affect your editing capabilities

• I know not using RAW limits your abilities in heavy film grading, but does ProRes 422 or CinemaDMG limit your editing capabilities to a fault or is there not much of a difference?

• @Manu4Vendetta

only recording format available on the demo model I got to handle was ProRes and the rep indicated in most likely won't ship with CinemaDNG out of the box though he did say it was not far off.

Slightly above.

43rumors just repost stuff :-)

• For what it's worth the support section of the website is now set up to accept Service Requests relating to the BMPCC. It is my belief we should consider this to be another sign release is imminent. Accordingly, I have lodged a request questioning whether or not the BMPCC supports UHS-II SD cards.

Their response will be posted here will shortly after I have read it myself. The query will also be made at Blackmagic's SMPTE 2013 Exhibition stand when I am there later in the week should there not have been a response from the support team by then.

• I suppose that I will just wait and see when the camera arrives.... ordered it the end of April in Germany... may still be somewhere at the end of line.... is it worth waiting? very likely yes....

More important than waiting is to find nice S16 coverage vintage glass and test lenses (with Nikon V1/J1 camera which has approximately the same sensor size as the BMPCC)......

What I really would like to know is whether the BMPCC will support the new SDHC UHS-II interface memory cards, (which have an extra row of pins in order to reach full writing speed).... http://www.sdxc2.com/ http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2013_07/pr1601.htm this could in the longer run (current capacity max 64 GB but this will change) fully solve the issues of writing RAW to SD cards.....

Hans

• I recur..

@peaceonearth July 18 Edit:

it's getting time that BMD will ship the camera and this discussion here will come back to facts and footage instead making sth. up out of thin air

... plus Canon bashing

• It is. Optionally.

JB

• @DocoDocoMan,

Can you find out if the HDMI out is overlay free? Please.

• I got my first hands on look at the BMPCC today, I like what I saw.

So..., it ain't gonna ship this week although they say it is still on target for July... probing a bit more suggested its a week or two away.

The first thing I noticed was the camera felt warm to the touch, it had obviously been on for a while connected to an external power source, however when I checked it again a couple of hours later it did not feel any hotter, mind you it had not been recording either (no SD card).

The menu structure was uncomplicated, the only recording format available on the demo model I got to handle was ProRes and the rep indicated in most likely won't ship with CinemaDNG out of the box though he did say it was not far off.

I neglected to check the speed of the Autofocus and could not find a way to move the focus square the rep was not sure how to or if it could be moved yet either. Please bear in mind this may not have been the firmware that it will ship with.

I hope to get back to see it again before the end of the week and will be taking some vintage glass with me to try out. Once again please let me know if there are any question you want me to pass on.

• I find it even funnier that you actually typed the "I was like" and "She was like" in the message.

• i'm not into canon but to be honest, my mom has a canon eos 350d and when i take it sometimes i really have the feeling to grab something in my hands, nicely build imo.

• I was like well we can share lenes if we both have mft cameras, she was like no I want a canon. I was like ok you won't be getting a camera at all lol.

haha, awesome! I just don't get peoples fascination with canon at all. Great marketing marketing I guess... but terrible products. I feel for people though... since I bought into the canon hype myself in the beginning. Now I know they're really just aimed at selling products to uninformed n00bz happy with mediocre quality.

• @Brian202020 I was going to give my fiancé my gh2 but she refused saying she wants a Canon 5D MK III. I was like well we can share lenes if we both have mft cameras, she was like no I want a canon. I was like ok you won't be getting a camera at all lol.

• Now I'm not sure if I should sell or keep my gh2.

@Chaos123x

I gave mine to my wife to use. :)

• So I decided to pull the trigger today and preorder the Pocket Camera. I called up B&H just to ask a few questions, and the guy told me if I pre-ordered it now I would probably get it the same time everyone else gets the preorders (around July 25th). I thought I would be waiting months, so I decided on the spot to pull my credit card out and place the order.

I have a feeling I will still be waiting, but the guy acted like they were coming this week and they had enough to cover preorders plus more.

Now I'm not sure if I should sell or keep my gh2.

• @shian

Then you'll really need to know how to paint with light and how to compose.... to impress us image geeks. But no one else will really care. How sad :(

I'd argue that this has always been an unresolved dilemma in the no- and low-budget world, which seems to dog everyone who gives a s*** about the visual qualities of a movie: even assuming you have a DP who knows what he's doing, and has the means to do what he wants, how much time can reasonably be spent on production value for no-name festival circuit movies which sell almost exclusively on their stories, novelty and appeal to festival culture?

Is beautiful image making time well-spent, even assuming the writer/director knows the difference and has any visual imagination, which is usually not the case (just look at the typical Amerindie production)? And at what point is enough enough since, no matter what you do, it's never going to look like Reds or The Godfather, on these kinds of budgets.

OTOH, almost all low-budget stuff, from $5K and up, now has at least decent visual quality if the shooter had the sense to keep the highlights under control and get a proper exposure, which wasn't at all the case in the mini-DV era.

• I regularly film multi-cam concert footage and on some jobs, the ones with the least informed clients, I usually take along an old 1980s Panasonic M7 VHS Camcorder I picked up for $50 on eBay. It's about the size of an old BetaCam but it makes those 'bigger is better' clients feel more comfortable and acts as a 'sacrificial lamb' for any light fingered types that might have an eye on my gear. It still amazes me how they think (or don't) that's where all the good shots come from that are really acquired with GH2s or Q3HDs .

In other news... I'm off to SMPTE 2013 in Sydney Australia tomorrow, Blackmagic have one of the largest stands in the exhibition so I am hoping to get a close up/hands on look at the BMPCC... If any of you have any questions (APART FROM THE OBVIOUS) let me know and I'll see if I can get any answers.

• my work has all come from reputation, and referrals where they have seen a clip and want the same. once in a while they will ask what I shoot on, I say dslr because no one knows lumix, its then left up to them if they want to proceed. I have yet to feel negativity towards it. I dont see things changing with the BMPCC, well for me anyways. then again im not shooting big budget productions.

• @jimmykorea serious point indeed! I was working for a client for a commercial with a GoPro H3 last month. It was no problem - because we did only a few shots we couldn't have done with the C300. I think it's the same with the BMDPCC. It will be no problem getting well paid for your work if you will use as a B-Cam - or getting low budget fee for A Cam shots.

• @jimmykorea Good point. I actually raised this point with my wife only on Saturday. I recently shot a wedding for a friend on my GH2 and I could see that people were not really taking me too seriously as It looked like I was just carrying around my "photo" camera and using the video mode to get a few clips, its only when they see the finished result they realize the power of the DSLR's.

I drove past a wedding on Saturday and saw this guy outside with a huge camcorder on his shoulder with a big mic on top...now he looked the part and I bet everyone took him seriously when he turned up with that....I bet his footage turns out to garbage...

In 12 months time am I going to turn up to weddings with an iphone sized BMPCC camera on top of a monopod??..Thats my plan but as mentioned, the perception with this will be even worse than that had when using a GH2...perception I guess that will only change with time, reputation and familiarity of the product.