Personal View site logo
Meetup: Los Angeles Area
  • 231 Replies sorted by
  • I have to say I sure did appreciate meeting you all... I could see where that might make a difference if we are to continue doing this... Giggle I could even see us doing a live stream next time depending on where you do it...

My heart is full ... this group is caring, sincere, knowledgeable, and always looking for the truth of things ...

Vic... yes I could see how you are an actor... I was impressed looking at your glass through Henry's camera... his composition shooting live and focusing as he went ... I have this little huge idea for a series ... I have copyrighted the concept... This GH2 hacked and folks that know how to shoot... this may be the time to be shooting... so much happening in Labor just now... the business changing hourly... The technologies of the future... Maybe these are the GH2 hacks that are going to change the World...

We had table space there to play with cameras... and silly me did not have the plug into the power supply when I went to plug the laptop in... it was half in/out coming out of my laptop bag...

And finally... this was a breath of fresh air for me to be with folks who want to share... I love the diversity we have with in our group too... did you folks know we speak 175 languages here in Los Angeles? I have this huge big idea of a "Working Peoples Labor Channel..."

I guess I am broaching some political boundaries... my new career of social media marketing... calling it "Kassner House Lisa" ... I have these ideas also of new owner-worker cooperatives ... New Business models...

Thanks again for a super time and for us to be with each other a couple/few hours...

Kindest and sincerest warm regards,

L A Lisa...

• I wasn't able to make it after all because an unforeseen situation, but I'm glad it turned out well. Hopefully there will be another meeting soon so that I can make it to that one.

• Hi everyone! William here. It was really great to meet everyone and put faces to names for those who don't make themselves visible here with their avatars (like me, I'm the sort of tall, stocky Asian guy from the meeting), and to just chat and get to know people on a better basis.

Special thanks to @vicharris for organizing the meeting and buying the appetizers and a few pitchers and to @collierlandry, @LALisa and @vicharris for lugging all their awesome gear for everyone to see :) Thanks @shian for being such a knowledgable yet accessible and down to earth dude :) And, a general big thanks to all participants for just being really cool!

-Wilbo

• It was cool to me everyone who turned out for the get-together. Nice to correlate faces with names. Good group of people.

• Good meeting you guys, I gotta tell you it's hard enough for me to remember people's names, but to then correlate the SN to the real name was an adventure for me. So for the person I was discussing stabilization with, and then I blanked on the name of my friend's rig; it was a Flycam Nano

And the link to the Trance mix compilations is here:

http://www.mixcloud.com/PureSound_Sessions/danyi-burgundy-puresound-sessions-231-eddie-sender-guest-mix-10-08-2011/

• 'Twas a pleasure to meet the faces behind the posts I see here. Thanks again to @vicharris for setting up the meet and for graciously allowing us to try out his dream bag of lenses. I realized after watching my videos that I treated you like a salesperson at Samy's by asking you "how much is it?" one too many times......thanks for playing along ;-) Thanks also to @collierlandry for bringing the biggest gun of all and letting us put our beer and nacho cheese stained fingers all over it. @LALisa brought enough equipment to shoot a reality show...thanks for lugging all of it to our shindig for all of us to see.

I'll post some photos of our gathering a little later tonight. I really enjoyed this meeting, let's do it again soon!

• Thank you all for a very nice time at "Big Wangs"...

I sure did enjoy meeting you all. I hope we can do another meet up sometime!

Lisa J. Kassner

• Thanks Vic... I am off to Samy's Camera to buy two additional small cards

• We're a bit off topic. Ask away today at the meet up. I'm sure they'll be many people willing to ramble on for a bit on these topics :)

• I have a small Canon ELPH 500 I use for stills... I have not shot many stills with the GH2 as I have primarily shot video... Question... when the hacks are in place...does that also influence still photos? I have no experience shooting stills with the GH3.. I suppose it is time I should get to speed with that as well...

Cheers...see you at "Big Wangs!"

• @LALisa You can only put on setting on your cam at once. Every time you want to change, you need to reload what you want from a memory card. It's easy if you just bring three different cards with you when you shoot and always have a fresh Pany battery.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Of course, I didn't even consider shooting video. Too much time involved and everyone will want to know what damn settings and lenses were used! Then they'll critique the shots and lighting, followed by the advice that we should just reshoot the whole thing and use RAW to give us more latitude in post to CC and grade!!! :)

• I am really looking forward to our gathering...

Yes I am bringing the GH2, a brand new 16 gig 95 Mbps memory card and a USB Thumb Drive.

I will also have my laptop and the GH3 rig I use to shoot on location.

I am hoping someone can help me with three hacks...

I would like help setting this GH2 up to do the Sanity hack (44 meg) in F1. A 70 meg hack in F2 and the Driftwood hack in F3.

I hope someone is familiar with how to do this... I think I have the sanity hack now only...

Lisa J. Kassner

• @vicharris

Get my good advice - get photos, not concentrate on videos.

• BTW, we better take some damn pictures at this thing! I've seen a few other meet ups where people didn't take anything. That might be very embarrassing for LA ;)

• Just a bump: The L.A. meet-up is today (July 13th) at 1PM.

Big Wangs at 801 SOUTH GRAND AVE. LA, CA 90017

You don't need to bring anything but you are free to bring gear if you want to.

• Thanks for the info @htinla

• CHEAP PARKING: If you don't mind walking about 4 blocks and have an LA Library card, you can park in the underground lot at the Central Branch for a $1.00 flat rate. The library closes at 5:30p on Saturday, lot closes at 6. Show your library card and get your parking ticket validated inside the library, first floor Information Desk. Pay a dollar at the automated payment machine in the garage.

http://www.lapl.org/branches/central-library/parking

• Ok peeps, hope to see as many of you as possible tomorrow. Tomorrows weather looks to be the same as today so hopefully not too hot downtown.

• @collierlandry All my glass is nikon mount but I'll have my novaflex adapter to connect it to mft. No worries :)

• I got some c-mount lenses for you to look at @whisper1 (but you will not be impressed, haha). @collierlandry I'm kind of excited just to see someone with a new m4/3 BMCC :)

• I'm coming to big wangs at 1pm hope to see somebody at least. my name is Reuben. Interested in C-mounts and cine-lenses but having a back ground in high contrast Black and White Photos i really don't know where to begin taking my art to higher ground. So i will be pitching in for the pitcher.

• @vicharris What is the mount for your Rokinon Cine's? Will you bring the adapters too, please, and we'll slap them on my new BMCC MFT. I've been wanting to check the Rokinons out for awhile now.

I can also bring a few of my vintage Nikon primes as well.

• Well, I'll buy a pitcher to share and bring my crappy modded c-mount lenses (12.5mm f1.3, 12mm-75mm f1.2) if anyone is interested :)

-Will